***2018 Recruiting***

Wait, so someone who redshirted as a freshman and then transfers LOSES a year of eligibility rather than just having to wait a year and still having that year available?

According to Lee's bio, he redshirted at Tulane, in which case by that rule he should be a senior this year.

We appealed to get him another year.

• Fire 2

I was always under the assumption that your clock didnt actuall start unless you took part in football related activities. If for whatever reason someone committed and came to campus but for whatever reason never took part in football related activities still had all eligibility. I know I expended all my football eligibility but got struck by lighting now I can shoot the lights out with a basketball. I still have basketball eligibility and can play

Nope. It starts when you enroll.

That's why some schools try to get guys to "grey shirt" which means they don't even enroll until the following January so they're clock doesn't start as soon.

I was always under the assumption that your clock didnt actuall start unless you took part in football related activities. If for whatever reason someone committed and came to campus but for whatever reason never took part in football related activities still had all eligibility. I know I expended all my football eligibility but got struck by lighting now I can shoot the lights out with a basketball. I still have basketball eligibility and can play

That's why some schools try to get guys to "grey shirt" which means they don't even enroll until the following January so they're clock doesn't start as soon.

Wow never knew that. So when Alabama grey shirts guys they just hang out at home for a year?

Wow never knew that. So when Alabama grey shirts guys they just hang out at home for a year?

Well, technically a semester. But yes.

I may be wrong, but I believe they usually take credits at a community college to help get them started - there's a maximum amount of credits they can take without starting their clock. Also let's them utilize the gym if the community college has one.

It's a really good option for kids who are late bloomers, especially linemen or linebackers, who don't have the offers. A kid who might have unreal instincts and athleticism but grew from 5'10" to 6'4" over his senior year and is now 40+lbs underweight for his position. Or a kid who was a 17 year old HS graduate and still hasn't put on the grown man maturity. The months from HS graduation until spring semester starts are big for development and it helps not starting their clock until then. Then, they come in basically as an early enrollee, with a redshirt still intact, for the next class which has huge advantages as well.

Alabama greyshirting 4* guys is just unfair and totally breaks the system haha.