***2018 Recruiting***

1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

Haven't seen him on any lists, which is concerning to me. Visited OkSt recently and visiting KState next weekend.

He's close enough could pop up, but it does seem odd.

Idk, just not that worried about guys that aren't visiting. More worried about guys that are coming.

Things getting fiesty in recruit threads.  Everyone needs to keep this in mind:  This class is probably going to change dramatically by February.  With all the turmoil surrounding the current staff it's anyones guess who is still here after signing day.  Not just that, but we are 3-3 on the year in year 3 of a rebuild.  Recruits aren't stupid, they know that's not good.  So we are probably going to lose some guys we thought were locks no matter how this shakes out.  Recruiting comes down to 3 things: 1) Results a staff can point to 2) Stability the staff can tell them they can count on and 3) Playing time to get to the next level.  Right now the best sell we have is #3.

• Plus1 2
38 minutes ago, Redux said:

Things getting fiesty in recruit threads.  Everyone needs to keep this in mind:  This class is probably going to change dramatically by February.  With all the turmoil surrounding the current staff it's anyones guess who is still here after signing day.  Not just that, but we are 3-3 on the year in year 3 of a rebuild.  Recruits aren't stupid, they know that's not good.  So we are probably going to lose some guys we thought were locks no matter how this shakes out.  Recruiting comes down to 3 things: 1) Results a staff can point to 2) Stability the staff can tell them they can count on and 3) Playing time to get to the next level.  Right now the best sell we have is #3.

Yup, I think the only 3 that we can count on at this point are Jurgens, Mapieu, and Farniok. The rest is just a guessing game at this point.

38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Hank Bounds apparently hosted the 11 OVs with their families and the entire football staff for a catered meal last weekend.

Not something that usually happens.

I think everyone involved knows this is the class that has a chance to bring us back, or at least start to. A comment like this, tells me that is A) True and B) There is a chance Riley will still be here.

• Plus1 1

Interesting, I initially took it the opposite way, Matty. Thinking it was Bounds’ way of showing recruits that no matter what, Nebraska will still have familiar faces for the recruits. But I can see your point and that it might be a sign that Riley will still be here.

At the very least, Riley proved to a lot of national writers that Nebraska could still be a top destination for recruits. I know his last two classes finished similar to Bo’s, but this class started off with a bang and I think it would have only gotten better if the product wasn’t so poor. Riley and some of his assistants used the advantages here perfectly. No more lazy recruiting excuses from our future coaches.

• Plus1 3
33 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Interesting, I initially took it the opposite way, Matty. Thinking it was Bounds’ way of showing recruits that no matter what, Nebraska will still have familiar faces for the recruits. But I can see your point and that it might be a sign that Riley will still be here.

At the very least, Riley proved to a lot of national writers that Nebraska could still be a top destination for recruits. I know his last two classes finished similar to Bo’s, but this class started off with a bang and I think it would have only gotten better if the product wasn’t so poor. Riley and some of his assistants used the advantages here perfectly. No more lazy recruiting excuses from our future coaches.

I agree with your initial viewpoint. If Bounds was thinking Riley would still be here he would leave him to do his thing. Why meddle. But if he is thinking Riley "May" not be here its a good idea to have Riley and staff present with the recruits to break the ice and help him build a relationship with some of these guys and their parents. He is simply hedging his bet. 

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Bounds would not have had the entire fb staff attend the dinner if all he wanted to do was show the kids we will suport them no matter what.  

Eh, I'm not sure you can make a conclusion on that either way.

If he has all the recruits and none of the coaches, that would seem to raise some pretty big questions.  Especially since the coaches only have a limited amount of time with those recruits in town.