***2018 Recruiting***

25 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

But but but this recruiting cycle is too small......

Fortunately for us quarterbacks almost always wait until late in the cycle to commit.

If they were a position group that often committed early, I might be worried about the choices we have left at this point.

34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This is insane. My guess is they have struck out on A LOT of players on their board, so now room for a QB.

Best case they make some inroads with Ruder to get him familiar with Nebraska, and the next HC can flip him.

That can't be.  Remember?  We are only taking "the right" QB in 2018.  Mainly because all of the other QB's chose other schools.  But it will still be the right one...

Hell, even w/o a coaching change it is going to be fun to watch.

What committed kids don't sign a letter early?  Do the teams they are committed to keep after them or cut them loose?  How many committed kids will not get a letter from their school?  Do they start looking elsewhere or hang on thinking they will get to sign in Feb?

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

This is insane. My guess is they have struck out on A LOT of players on their board, so now room for a QB.

Best case they make some inroads with Ruder to get him familiar with Nebraska, and the next HC can flip him.

Eh, I think it's more likely they thought they could get by with only recruiting their top 1-2 guys are were prepared to live without one if they didn't get them.

Now that the know they have a few more spots than they thought they did, their broadening their horizons.

Of course, them initially thinking they were only going to have 15 spots was short-sighted at best.  It was ALWAYS more than that.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I think it's more likely they thought they could get by with only recruiting their top 1-2 guys are were prepared to live without one if they didn't get them.

Now that the know they have a few more spots than they thought they did, their broadening their horizons.

Of course, them initially thinking they were only going to have 15 spots was short-sighted at best.  It was ALWAYS more than that.

Agreed. I think this is just another example of the mis-management of the roster by the staff. Another is that we are essentially playing this year with approximately 75 scholarship athletes. 

5 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

That can't be.  Remember?  We are only taking "the right" QB in 2018.  Mainly because all of the other QB's chose other schools.  But it will still be the right one...

What is the difference of they offer the Spencer kid now or in June.  We struck out on our top targets this year and were not guaranteed to take a qb.  Kid is having a huge sr and we might have some room to offer him.   Of all of the issues our staff has, qb roster management might not even be on the first page.  

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

What is the difference of they offer the Spencer kid now or in June.  We struck out on our top targets this year and were not guaranteed to take a qb.  Kid is having a huge sr and we might have some room to offer him.   Of all of the issues our staff has, qb roster management might not even be on the first page.  

This...We have been recruiting QBs all year.  The offer to Petras isn't earth shattering as we have been in his ear the whole time and wanted to see how his Sr. year goes before offering.