***2018 Recruiting***

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The narrative of Baker Mayfield being an under-recruited walk-on is horse hockey. He was a 3-star QB at one of the top football programs in Texas. He had 3 offers and he chose himself to walk on at Texas Tech. When he left to go to OU, he only “walked on” because they didn’t have an immediate scholarship available. Mayfield has been great at OU, but people need to fully understand his back story around him being a walk-on. 

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

Glad to see they’re going after some jucos, but a little worried this class of incoming freshman will be so small and lead to some class imbalance. Will be less than 15 by the time they graduate. 

I understand your point but I think any amount of over-signing will be due to expected attrition. This class will have a good amount of HS recruits even if it seems like we are taking a lot of JUCOs.

It wouldn’t surprise me to get a number around, or over, 25. Just means some guys are moving on. The rumor going around is that some of the attrition “will cause panic, but ultimately be good for the team.”

5 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I understand your point but I think any amount of over-signing will be due to expected attrition. This class will have a good amount of HS recruits even if it seems like we are taking a lot of JUCOs.

It wouldn’t surprise me to get a number around, or over, 25. Just means some guys are moving on. The rumor going around is that some of the attrition “will cause panic, but ultimately be good for the team.”

Are we taking a lot of Juco's?  They have to sign first.  We were taking a lot of 4*s before they started decommitting 

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Are we taking a lot of Juco's?  They have to sign first.  We were taking a lot of 4*s before they started decommitting 

Obviously. But the staff is offering a lot of JUCOs and it stands to reason that they’re going to try to sign some of them. Minn was expressing some concern on if we were going to take too many, I’m simply saying the numbers will work either way.

We need a JUCO at OLB, OT, and DB at the very least in my opinion. Seems like the staff is trying hard for a JUCO TE, RB, and WR as well. We will have to see what all happens in the next month.

22 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I assume some attrition as well, but do you think it will happen by signing day or after spring ball when these kids and coaches can get a feel?

my hunch is after signing day. Wouldn’t mind a few before then to bump numbers though. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Obviously. But the staff is offering a lot of JUCOs and it stands to reason that they’re going to try to sign some of them. Minn was expressing some concern on if we were going to take too many, I’m simply saying the numbers will work either way.

We need a JUCO at OLB, OT, and DB at the very least in my opinion. Seems like the staff is trying hard for a JUCO TE, RB, and WR as well. We will have to see what all happens in the next month.

Well I would assume they will try the same tactic next year depending on how things shake out this year.  Probably go heavy Juco the first two years then start tapering down to 1 or 2 each year. 

• Plus1 2

Agree with you both, good points.

I think if we take a JUCO at QB, RB, or WR, then it will likely be a sign of attrition before the spring (or they know someone will transfer during the spring like at QB). Especially at RB, because if Bryant is able to return at full health, then we only need a prep RB. I worried about Tyjon transferring once KW wasn’t retained but I think he is solid and on board. Morgan is thinking about the NFL but I think he comes back. But I still wonder because of how close all those guys are with KW. I don’t have any inside info, I’m just speculating though. We will get a real good idea based on what committments our staff accepts.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

All of these de-commits and commits are exactly why paying attention to recruiting the last month of the season seemed like a waste af time. 

We we will replace the de-commits 

I mean, to each his own.

But trying to use a year with a coaching change as an example of this isn't really taking much of an honest look at it.

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean, to each his own.

But trying to use a year with a coaching change as an example of this isn't really taking much of an honest look at it.

I think he meant the last month of this season, not the last month of seasons in general. I usually follow recruiting some, but I haven't bothered since it became obvious Riley would be fired.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think he meant the last month of this season, not the last month of seasons in general. I usually follow recruiting some, but I haven't bothered since it became obvious Riley would be fired.

Ah, yes.  I mis-read that. 

I do agree with that sentiment on this season.  I actually think I said the same thing a few weeks ago.

• Plus1 2