***2018 Recruiting***

I’m really excited at the possibility of Hampton and Roberts being our starting ILBs. There will be some bumps since they’re both young but those two are all conference ILBs sooner rather than later in my opinion. Hampton looked great from every report I’ve heard.

Probably not a bad idea to bring one in like warrior mentioned, I’m just trying to figure out the moving pieces haha. Some places we have no choice but to bring a JUCO in, and some places where a JUCO might mean attrition.

Definitely would prefer upper classmen at those spots, but as a general rule, ILB and RB are two positions where you can trust a freshman in a pinch. Just so much about those positions are pure instincts where other positions on the field require more years in the system.

Edited by Caliborn72
  • Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, not every recruit is going to work out, but the Tight End position is a weak spot on the roster for NU right now.  Also, Frost's offense likes to have versatile players that can be effective out in space and create mismatches.  I am not saying this guy is going to be a stud for NU, but he has a unique size and skill set that isn't currently on the NU roster.  I don't know why you would be against that type of player.

TE isn't a weak spot on the roster, FYI.

1 minute ago, ScottyIce said:

TE isn't a weak spot on the roster, FYI.

That's a matter of opinion.  Other than Jack Stoll, none of the current TE's have done much of anything for the Huskers.  I agree that Austin Allan, David Engelhaupt, and Kurt Rafdal may have a bright future, but they may not be the "type" of TE that Frost and his staff are looking for.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

That's a matter of opinion.  Other than Jack Stoll, none of the current TE's have done much of anything for the Huskers.  I agree that Austin Allan, David Engelhaupt, and Kurt Rafdal may have a bright future, but they may not be the "type" of TE that Frost and his staff are looking for.

Rafdal and Allen would fit the "redzone nightmare" characteristic that many people are calling McGriff. 

Yes, none of them have done anything because they are underclassmen and we have had JR, SR, SR featured at the position for the past 3 years.  Stoll looked to do a pretty solid job last year. You may be correct that they don't fit Frost's needs, but you don't know that for sure. Your post says as much anyways.

The position isn't lacking depth, that's for damn sure.

4 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Rafdal and Allen would fit the "redzone nightmare" characteristic that many people are calling McGriff. 

Yes, none of them have done anything because they are underclassmen and we have had JR, SR, SR featured at the position for the past 3 years.  Stoll looked to do a pretty solid job last year. You may be correct that they don't fit Frost's needs, but you don't know that for sure. Your post says as much anyways.

The position isn't lacking depth, that's for damn sure.

Fair enough.  McGriff is a hybrid WR/TE guy, and his future position may depend on the current guys on the roster.  If Frost doesn't like the talent in the TE room, he will have McGriff bulk up to 240-250 and play TE.  If Frost is happy with his guys at TE, then McGriff will probably stay in the 220-225 range and be a WR.  McGriff does give the roster some versatility though.  I think he would benefit from a redshirt season, so we may not see him until 2019.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Fair enough.  McGriff is a hybrid WR/TE guy, and his future position may depend on the current guys on the roster.  If Frost doesn't like the talent in the TE room, he will have McGriff bulk up to 240-250 and play TE.  If Frost is happy with his guys at TE, then McGriff will probably stay in the 220-225 range and be a WR.  McGriff does give the roster some versatility though.  I think he would benefit from a redshirt season, so we may not see him until 2019.

Yeah, it'll be interested to see how we use these guys.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This is where I think people are getting hung up in the TE position and some of the offers.  I haven't watched a ton of Frost's offense but he doesn't use the TE as the extra lineman blocking DL like Riley.  If they are blocking they will more than likely be going to the second level and blocking a LB.  Don't need to be 250lbs+ to do that.  But they do need to be fleet of foot

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

This is where I think people are getting hung up in the TE position and some of the offers.  I haven't watched a ton of Frost's offense but he doesn't use the TE as the extra lineman blocking DL like Riley.  If they are blocking they will more than likely be going to the second level and blocking a LB.  Don't need to be 250lbs+ to do that.  But they do need to be fleet of foot

Agree 100%.  The TE position in the Frost offense is usually in the slot and not right on the line.  Word is that McGriff has a strong willingness to block downfield.  https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/justin-mcgriff-commit-what-does-it-mean-for-nebraska-

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know that Cam Jurgens wants to play TE in college, but many people think he will be better on defense.  If McGriff grows into a TE, this would enable the staff to slide Jurgens to defense.

Do we know that's what he wants to play?  I've seen someone else here say that but I don't remember ever reading that from him.  He volunteered to work out at LB in the Rivals camps last summer.

Just now, Mavric said:

Do we know that's what he wants to play?  I've seen someone else here say that but I don't remember ever reading that from him.  He volunteered to work out at LB in the Rivals camps last summer.

I'm going off what I hear from interviews from Nate Clouse and Mike Sautter on various radio shows in Omaha.  I haven't spoken personally with Cam.

• Plus1 1

I have a legit recruiting question.  Do we even recruit the D Line anymore?  Does this position even exist currently at Nebraska? Can someone help clue me in on our D Line strategy/targets?  

I just want confirmation bc I always see recruiting news updates about QB\WR\DB and occasionally LB, but never anything about DL.  I’m led to believe Nebraska no longer can recruit the position or doesn’t think they need one to be successful.  

I mean skill playets are great, but I’m led to think a DL would be kinda essential.

this is the worst thing about the Riley era imo...He reduced our DL to non existent status.  Surely we can at least buy 4 potatoes and line them up on the field?

i mean if we don’t recruit the interior trenches, anytime we play OSU we might as take Meyers hand, lead him to behind the barn, and then assume the appropriate position.  

Edited by 614Husker
2 minutes ago, 614Husker said:

I have a legit recruiting question.  Do we even recruit the D Line anymore?  Does this position even exist currently at Nebraska? Can someone help clue me in on our D Line strategy/targets?  

I just want confirmation bc I always see recruiting news updates about QB\WR\DB and occasionally LB, but never anything about DL.  I’m led to believe Nebraska no longer can recruit the position or doesn’t think they need one to be successful.  

I mean skill playets are great, but I’m led to think a DL would be kinda essential.

Maprieu from York is a DT and Frost and Ruud are going hard after Bryson Williams from LSE.  Tate Wilderman is a DE committed and Cam Jurgens could end up at an OLB spot.

Damion Daniels is a DT who redshirted in 2017, who could be a big contributor in 2018.  Deontre Thomas could have a big future, as well.

• Plus1 3