***2018 Recruiting***

8 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

That atmosphere had to have been beyond electric - too bad some guys missed out on their visits this weekend.

One of the most fun games I have been to. 

Definitely hope they were there. Someone also needs to point out to them that Nebraska fans pretty much sold out two arenas last night between volleyball and basketball. Truly some commitment to our teams.

• Plus1 3

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

If we could get Jones and Lagrone along with Honas, and we just secured a commitment from D Williams, this could be a really good weekend, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

As much as that offense is changing, it seems like the defense is undergoing a big change with hopeful instant impact players that look to be incredibly physical. Would like to have Jones officially jump on board.

We currently have 12 commits.  We have six more open spots and can over-sign by three so we can get to at least 21 if we want.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1-2 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Marcus Riley
RB - 2 - Jeremy Banks, JUCO Greg Bell Javian HawkinsJoshua Fleeks
WR - 3-4 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFFCAMERON BROWN, Jeshaun Jones, Dominick Watt, Katerian LeGrone
TE - 1-2 - CAMERON JURGENS Messiah Swinson
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall
OG/C - 1 - WILL FARNIOK

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 1-2 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO Will Honas, Lavontae Jean-Baptiste
CB - 2-3 - JUCO Jeremy Webb, Braxton Clark
S - 2 - CJ SMITH, JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Cam'ron Jones

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

We currently have 12 commits.  We have six more open spots and can over-sign by three so we can get to at least 21 if we want.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1-2 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Marcus Riley
RB - 2 - Jeremy Banks, JUCO Greg Bell Javian HawkinsJoshua Fleeks
WR - 3-4 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFFCAMERON BROWN, Jeshaun Jones, Dominick Watt, Katerian LeGrone
TE - 1-2 - CAMERON JURGENS Messiah Swinson
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall
OG/C - 1 - WILL FARNIOK

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 1-2 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO Will Honas, Lavontae Jean-Baptiste
CB - 2-3 - JUCO Jeremy Webb, Braxton Clark
S - 2 - CJ SMITH, JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Cam'ron Jones

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

With Banks and Bell kind of liking what Tennessee is doing, have we heard ore on Fleeks or Hawkins?

1 minute ago, spurs1990 said:

With Banks and Bell kind of liking what Tennessee is doing, have we heard ore on Fleeks or Hawkins?

Fleeks really sounded interested but the longer it drags out.....

Not sure what to think on Hawkins.  Would like to know if a few of those guys really had something come up, aren't really that interested or we pushed them to a later visit.

• Plus1 1

I've never been an obsessed follower of recruiting. I kinda just look at it every once in awhile. Also, I know this year is new because of the early signing period.

But how probable is it that we get enough decent guys (high 3 stars/4 stars) to recruit 18-21 players at this point? And what are the numbers looking like next year? Small class, big class?

Edited by Moiraine

I don’t believe we will completely fill this year. Combination of not enough time and not wanting to hand out scholarships just to hand them out. At the very least, we won’t fill by this early signing day and might try to re-evaluate in January. I had previously said we could probably fill to ~25 but I think that was too enthusiastic and we will like end somewhere around 17.

Next year, by current numbers, I believe we will need around 17. Hard to say what kind of attrition we are looking at though. Certainly a few guys who might not fit the new offense and guys who never really fit the 3-4.

43 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I've never been an obsessed follower of recruiting. I kinda just look at it every once in awhile. Also, I know this year is new because of the early signing period.

But how probable is it that we get enough decent guys (high 3 stars/4 stars) to recruit 18-21 players at this point? And what are the numbers looking like next year? Small class, big class?

I don't expect us to be able to fill 21 spots.  it does help that this staff recruited a lot of Florida guys at UCF that they weren't going to get there but they have a better chance at now.  So at least they have some relationships built.  And they've done a very good job targeting some guys who might be wavering - committed to a school that fired their coach, etc.  But the thing that helps is they've been pretty active in the JUCO market so that helps fill in some gaps and get some guys who can get on the field quickly.

We don't have much of a problem with classes going forward.  Next year's senior class is 19 so next year's recruiting class will be in the low- to mid-20s.  Next year's junior class is currently 17 and might grow another 1-2 with JUCOs.  So it'll be another 20+ class in 2020.