***2018 Recruiting***

43 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

With our OL situation during Baker’s tenure (er, previous 15 years) I’d prefer he didn’t move to DT. I kinda thought he was a JAG DT, but I don’t doubt he was the best we had at the time. As the saying goes, Ifs and butts were candies and nuts...

I've long thought it was a "perfect storm" for a bad decision.  At the time - no matter what you (general "you", not you specifically) think about our offensive line - the offense was not nearly as big of a problem as the defense.  We BADLY needed improvement on defense.  And we had a kid who could help both places.  So he was put the place that we though he could make the biggest impact.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened under a different set of circumstances.

10 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

You and Riley have something in common then...you both try to force kids to play positions they dont' want to play.

Its not about forcing. Its about the coach being a leader and discussing what the team needs and how he can support the team. In teams its not about what "I" want. Its about what does the team need. This is not the Nebraska Steinkuhlers. its the Nebraska Huskers.

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Tell that to a narcissistic teenager who only lives for the dopamine rush of his next facebook/instagram/snapchat like.  Doesn't happen much anymore I'm afraid.

It's going to get harder and harder to recruit the 'there is no I in team' players as time goes forward.  Looking for them will be like walking in a barren wasteland aka the Iowa football trophy room.

I do think with an honest- straightforward- authoritative- but also respected coach like Frost. Kids will get on board. Saban does a good job keeping his kids disciplined. Its all about having a culture and sticking to that culture and not bending the rules for anyone. Soon as kids know they are no exception they get in line. I understand your point about kids today and thats because people let them get away with everything- soon as they realize they wont they shape up or they get out. But if they want to play for a winner like "saban" or play in frosts system they will shape up or they wont see the field. 

Look at a guy like Belichick. He has a system and he sticks to it- no matter how good you are if you buck the system you get traded. So he has all these prima donna football players who fall in line. 

Only point being- it is possible. You win some battles and lose some battles but its possible to do it.

But i agree you will lose some recruiting battles- but you will also win some because they appreciate the honesty.  

We currently have 14 commits.  Frost says the number is 20.  With Lee gone, we could sign 22.

I think we're looking for some combination of 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 2 OLs, 2 DLs, 1 LB and 2 DBs.  That's 10 positions for 6 spots - though we could sign 8 more at the moment.  But Mapieu and Smith are question marks academically so those numbers may depend on how they do.  Jurgens may also end up at LB which might explain why we're still looking for TEs and help fill the numbers at LB.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ
RB - 2 - JUCO GREG BELL, Javian Hawkins, Ta'zhawn Henry
WR - 3-4 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE,  Dominick Watt
TE - 1-2 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall, Doug Johnson, Blake McDonald
OG/C - 1-2 - WILL FARNIOK, Jarrett Bell

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU, Michael Thompson
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste
CB - 1-2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Braxton Clark
S - 2-3 - CJ SMITH, Cam'ron Jones, Tyrese Ross

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

ATH - Miles Jones

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

We currently have 14 commits.  Frost says the number is 20.  With Lee gone, we could sign 22.

I think we're looking for some combination of 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 2 OLs, 2 DLs, 1 LB and 2 DBs.  That's 10 positions for 6 spots - though we could sign 8 more at the moment.  But Mapieu and Smith are question marks academically so those numbers may depend on how they do.  Jurgens may also end up at LB which might explain why we're still looking for TEs and help fill the numbers at LB.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ
RB - 2 - JUCO GREG BELL, Javian Hawkins, Ta'zhawn Henry
WR - 3-4 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE Dominick Watt
TE - 1-2 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall, Doug Johnson, Blake McDonald
OG/C - 1-2 - WILL FARNIOK, Jarrett Bell

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU, Michael Thompson
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste
CB - 1-2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Braxton Clark
S - 2-3 - CJ SMITH, Cam'ron Jones, Tyrese Ross

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

ATH - Miles Jones

I am a big fan that they are focused on bringing in guys who are fast and could potentially fit in a variety of spots from RB to WR to CB or even TE. 

Basically you get these guys in day 1 and see where they fit best and run with it. 

Biggest concern is Offensive line. No idea what is on the JUCO market or even Grad Transfer market, but wondering what it will look like once the coaches get to work with these guys.

2 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I am a big fan that they are focused on bringing in guys who are fast and could potentially fit in a variety of spots from RB to WR to CB or even TE. 

Basically you get these guys in day 1 and see where they fit best and run with it. 

Biggest concern is Offensive line. No idea what is on the JUCO market or even Grad Transfer market, but wondering what it will look like once the coaches get to work with these guys.

The o-line returns a lot of starters and by my count has 8 or 9 scholarship players that are sophomores or younger. I think the group is thin at tackles, but has decent depth at the interior line. I just don’t know what to think of the o-line because I think they were stuck with the worst coach on the previous staff. Cavanaugh only cared about pass blocking and getting 5 guys to play the entire game each Saturday. I think the position group will be rejuvenated by a new coach. 

• Plus1 1