***2018 Recruiting***

14 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Of the ten kids who are still somewhat in the picture for the Huskers, are there even 6 that are seriously considering us today.  I know many have CB's for us but most of those were issued days or weeks ago and the outlook seems to have changed.  We might have a tough time filling this class out with the quality we want.

I was thinking the opposite. It looks to me like the staff is pretty clear on what positions we want to close out the class and even have back up plans in place. Looks like we have more people that want in than we can take.

RB- Washington is choice A, Corbin B (but maybe not interested), Henry B and looks to be a lock if we let him.

OLB/ DE- JJB and or Tannor are both A's. Baldonado is B

OL- I think Bell commits soon with Hall, McDonald and Sampson as backup plans. Can we take more than 1?

S- Cam Jones seems in but it is weird to me he hasn't committed yet. Is there another safety we want?

CB- Palmer is A, we have a bunch of guys as backup if we can't get him.

WR- rumors we want another and Nikko Hall is A, seems to be plenty of plan B's here as well.

Tago is kind of a wild card here. If we can get Thompson to visit that would be interesting as well.

I've only seen one 'offer' that looked like a reach to me. The others are 4 *'s, solid 3 *'s. Maybe the words 'quality we want' is where there is room for debate?

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, macroboy said:

I was thinking the opposite. It looks to me like the staff is pretty clear on what positions we want to close out the class and even have back up plans in place. Looks like we have more people that want in than we can take.

RB- Washington is choice A, Corbin B (but maybe not interested), Henry B and looks to be a lock if we let him.

OLB/ DE- JJB and or Tannor are both A's. Baldonado is B

OL- I think Bell commits soon with Hall, McDonald and Sampson as backup plans. Can we take more than 1?

S- Cam Jones seems in but it is weird to me he hasn't committed yet. Is there another safety we want?

CB- Palmer is A, we have a bunch of guys as backup if we can't get him.

WR- rumors we want another and Nikko Hall is A, seems to be plenty of plan B's here as well.

Tago is kind of a wild card here. If we can get Thompson to visit that would be interesting as well.

I've only seen one 'offer' that looked like a reach to me. The others are 4 *'s, solid 3 *'s. Maybe the words 'quality we want' is where there is room for debate?

My prediction is probably not as dire as I thought.  My fear is that we are the 2nd or 3 choice for many of those top players.  

RB:  I suspect Washington will go to OSU if they have room. I wouldn't put it beyond Urb to grab him and stash him for a few years then let him transfer to any school but BIG 10.  If not Washington,  Henry probably is N.

OLB/DE:  Again I think JJB's first choice is OSU but same thoughts as above.  Tanner seems excited about Fla.

OL: Bell is probably N.  Hall and Sampson seem like a lean elsewhere.

S:  C Jones is probably N.  

CB:  Palmer seems like a Clemson or N Caro St lean.

WR:  Nikko likes USC if they have room otherwise we could get him.  We'll see.  

QB:  Tago is a possibility for 3 schools with N being one.  He says now is is willing to play LB and we are the only school recruiting him for QB.  

I am as excited as can be for Frost and co and what they will accomplish.  I don't know if he yet has enough currency to pull kids out of their geographical location if the current big name programs like OSU, Fla, Clemson and USC want them.  All remaining spots will be filled no doubt with quality kids.  GBR.

On 1/19/2018 at 8:34 AM, Mavric said:

Assuming the four spots left is correct, I think:

- Bell commits Monday

- We take two DBs.  Jones would seem to be one.  Palmer sounding like a long shot.  Clark, Torain and JUCO George would seem to be in the mix for the other spot.

- We take an OLB with the last spot.  JBB or Tannor with Baldonado waiting in the wings.

Just to expand in this a bit, I saw a recruiting guy break things down and he put the order at basically the following, which I pretty much agree with (and added a couple extras to):

• No QB listed - Tago an option but not a priority (IMO)
  • For sure one OL - possibility of two but unlikely: Bell -> McDonald -> Sampson
  • For sure one CB: Palmer #1 on our list but we have work to do -> Clark a strong second choice -> George
  • A second DB: Jones seems to really interested -> Taylor/Torain
  • Really want an OLB: JJB would probably be our first choice -> Tannor maybe a second choice but still would be a great get -> Baldonado
  • Interesting to see where RB fits in the mix - we still seem to be working hard on some guys: Washington -> Henry 

Our DB numbers could be affected by what happens with Smith.  Maybe if he qualifies we only take one more DB plus a RB - that might explain why Jones is kind of floating (slow-played?).  If Smith doesn't make it we could take Jones and still get a RB.  If Mapieu doesn't make it we don't appear to have much for other DL on the hook.  The staff seems to like Chris Walker on defense so maybe we're not too worried.  And that would obviously make room for someone else.

We currently have 19 commits plus two transfers.  We could sign 22.

• For sure one OL - possibility of two but unlikely: Bell -> McDonald -> Sampson
  • Really want an OLB: JJB would probably be our first choice -> Tannor maybe a second choice but still would be a great get -> Baldonado
  • Really seems like we're looking for another RB: Washington -> Henry -> Bryant?
  • I think if Smith qualifies we're probably done at DB.  If not: Jones seems to really interested -> Taylor/Torain
  • Tago an option but not a priority (IMO)

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Matthew Tago
RB - 2 - JUCO GREG BELLMaurice WashingtonTa'zhawn Henry, Moses Bryant
WR - 6 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE, JUCO MIKE WILLAIMS,  DOMINICK WATT, MILES JONES
TE - 1 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1 - Hamilton Hall, Blake McDonald, Jarrett Bell
OG/C - 1 - WILL FARNIOK, Tyrone Sampson

NT - 1 - MASRY MAPIEU
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, CASEY ROGERS
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste, Caleb Tannor
CB - 2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, BRAXTON CLARK, Kendrick Torain
S - 1-2 - CJ SMITH, Cam'ron Jones, Cam Taylor

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Warrior10 said:

Can't see us telling Jones no, especially with the uncertainty of Smith. Still think Tannor is a long shot. 

I think we're going to take an OLB one way or another.  

It's possible Jones is just waiting for his announcement date on Saturday.  But with how few spots we have left, I just get the feeling he's our backup plan while we wait to see how close Smith is.

Maybe I'm wrong.  But it sure looks like someone has to be the odd man out.  This seems most likely to me.