***2018 Recruiting***

Not sure if this has ever been posted but it’s worth sharing. Frost quote while at UCF on recruiting 

“Long-term, I don’t want to recruit a lot of guys here who are going to be prima-donnas and wait until the last day to put four or five hats on a table and keep teams hostage to wait and see what they’re going to do. I want kids who want to be at UCF, not kids that want to be recruited."

“So much has come of this because of websites and TV coverage. In my experience, the kids that fall in love with recruiting and do those things, they have a harder time adjusting to college football and college life (as opposed to) kids that make their decision and immediately think about how to make themselves great college football players. Recruiting is fun for everybody, but in the long run, you’re better off getting the kids more about business and ready to get to work.”

“For a year or two as they're getting recruited, these young men have everybody from Rivals to Scout to ESPN to local media to coaches telling them how great they are," he said. "One of my first pieces of advice to recruits is, don’t buy into that, because the minute you get to campus, nobody’s going to be telling you that anymore. The kids who fall in love with that process and start believing the hype about themselves too much, it’s a tougher transition for them to college football.”

• Plus1 6
2 hours ago, famoustitles said:

Not sure if this has ever been posted but it’s worth sharing. Frost quote while at UCF on recruiting 

“Long-term, I don’t want to recruit a lot of guys here who are going to be prima-donnas and wait until the last day to put four or five hats on a table and keep teams hostage to wait and see what they’re going to do. I want kids who want to be at UCF, not kids that want to be recruited."

“So much has come of this because of websites and TV coverage. In my experience, the kids that fall in love with recruiting and do those things, they have a harder time adjusting to college football and college life (as opposed to) kids that make their decision and immediately think about how to make themselves great college football players. Recruiting is fun for everybody, but in the long run, you’re better off getting the kids more about business and ready to get to work.”

“For a year or two as they're getting recruited, these young men have everybody from Rivals to Scout to ESPN to local media to coaches telling them how great they are," he said. "One of my first pieces of advice to recruits is, don’t buy into that, because the minute you get to campus, nobody’s going to be telling you that anymore. The kids who fall in love with that process and start believing the hype about themselves too much, it’s a tougher transition for them to college football.”

I understand the sentiment and think its good, but to the bolded, this is a very tough decision to make for some kids and i don't think the mindset is always to hype themselves up and hold schools hostage. Sometimes its tough for a really talented kid to make the right decision for himself when he is being pulled in 10 different directions by family and coaches who he respects and has personal relationships with. 

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I understand the sentiment and think its good, but to the bolded, this is a very tough decision to make for some kids and i don't think the mindset is always to hype themselves up and hold schools hostage. Sometimes its tough for a really talented kid to make the right decision for himself when he is being pulled in 10 different directions by family and coaches who he respects and has personal relationships with. 

You are still proving his point to a degree.  The kids who have a hard time making decisions are going to have a hard time adjusting to college life without all those people around.

He is mainly referring to the ones who want the drama however.

Edited by runningblind
  • Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I will provide deeper insight into what Frost was getting at. Most kids know where they want to go before the visits. Not very many kids are completely torn by signing day. Most kids drag the process for fame. There are exceptions for sure but Frost is saying what every coach really wants to say. When families pull in different directions, its usually illegal incentives or pure selfishness, which is a red flag for many coaches. I agree with Frost wholeheartedly. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I will provide deeper insight into what Frost was getting at. Most kids know where they want to go before the visits. Not very many kids are completely torn by signing day. Most kids drag the process for fame. There are exceptions for sure but Frost is saying what every coach really wants to say. When families pull in different directions, its usually illegal incentives or pure selfishness, which is a red flag for many coaches. I agree with Frost wholeheartedly. 

I do too. 

The vast nahority of kids know where they want to go. 

I can understand waiting till after the season to see what coaching changes are made or take a visit you couldn’t fit in. 

But, these kids who say back in August that they will decide on signing day are only milking it for the glory. 

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I do too. 

The vast nahority of kids know where they want to go. 

I can understand waiting till after the season to see what coaching changes are made or take a visit you couldn’t fit in. 

But, these kids who say back in August that they will decide on signing day are only milking it for the glory. 

This also ties into Bo's idea (which I thought was genius), which is to allow kids to sign when they commit. That way coaches don't have to assume and hope he doesn't have a change of heart. It gets tough to always tell the "back up plan" that they want him but he cannot commit. Kids and families aren't stupid, and its so stressful. Especially when you know deep down, that 25% of your class will not pan out. I kind of went down the rabbit hole here but you know what I mean. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

#NotTooShabby

I’ll take it, but most of you will remember that this is where Riley’s class was Elite. I believe by average we had it at around 12th at one point.

Not in anyway trying to gear any conversation against Frost or for Riley, just providing some context to that ranking.

34 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I’ll take it, but most of you will remember that this is where Riley’s class was Elite. I believe by average we had it at around 12th at one point.

Not in anyway trying to gear any conversation against Frost or for Riley, just providing some context to that ranking.

It was elite because he happened to have several highly-rated prospects committed early.  But it doesn't mean much as to what you're rated in June - especially on average.

It was probably going to be a pretty good class.  But not with how poor of a product he was putting on the field.  We were going to lose Bookie and Goodrich even if Riley stayed.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Zacharias said:

We are up to 4th in the big ten with Cam’s commitment. Out of curiosity does anyone know what our lowest ranking was in the big ten before Frosts staff was hired?

Pretty sure we were 14th at one point

Pretty solid transition class imo. Especially if we close on JJB, Washington, a lineman, etc

• Plus1 2