Mavric

***2018 Recruiting***

Mavric    10,348
Just now, Decked said:

That was their other commit. Shough. 

Yes, that's who was listed first in the post I quoted.

Sorry for the confusion.

Redux    5,747

Things getting fiesty in recruit threads.  Everyone needs to keep this in mind:  This class is probably going to change dramatically by February.  With all the turmoil surrounding the current staff it's anyones guess who is still here after signing day.  Not just that, but we are 3-3 on the year in year 3 of a rebuild.  Recruits aren't stupid, they know that's not good.  So we are probably going to lose some guys we thought were locks no matter how this shakes out.  Recruiting comes down to 3 things: 1) Results a staff can point to 2) Stability the staff can tell them they can count on and 3) Playing time to get to the next level.  Right now the best sell we have is #3.

Red Five    3,590
38 minutes ago, Redux said:

Things getting fiesty in recruit threads.  Everyone needs to keep this in mind:  This class is probably going to change dramatically by February.  With all the turmoil surrounding the current staff it's anyones guess who is still here after signing day.  Not just that, but we are 3-3 on the year in year 3 of a rebuild.  Recruits aren't stupid, they know that's not good.  So we are probably going to lose some guys we thought were locks no matter how this shakes out.  Recruiting comes down to 3 things: 1) Results a staff can point to 2) Stability the staff can tell them they can count on and 3) Playing time to get to the next level.  Right now the best sell we have is #3.

Yup, I think the only 3 that we can count on at this point are Jurgens, Mapieu, and Farniok. The rest is just a guessing game at this point.

Mavric    10,348

Hank Bounds apparently hosted the 11 OVs with their families and the entire football staff for a catered meal last weekend.

Not something that usually happens.

ScottyIce    1,928
38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Hank Bounds apparently hosted the 11 OVs with their families and the entire football staff for a catered meal last weekend.

Not something that usually happens.

I think everyone involved knows this is the class that has a chance to bring us back, or at least start to. A comment like this, tells me that is A) True and B) There is a chance Riley will still be here.

Caliborn72    137

Interesting, I initially took it the opposite way, Matty. Thinking it was Bounds’ way of showing recruits that no matter what, Nebraska will still have familiar faces for the recruits. But I can see your point and that it might be a sign that Riley will still be here.

At the very least, Riley proved to a lot of national writers that Nebraska could still be a top destination for recruits. I know his last two classes finished similar to Bo’s, but this class started off with a bang and I think it would have only gotten better if the product wasn’t so poor. Riley and some of his assistants used the advantages here perfectly. No more lazy recruiting excuses from our future coaches.

Huskers93-97    516
33 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Interesting, I initially took it the opposite way, Matty. Thinking it was Bounds’ way of showing recruits that no matter what, Nebraska will still have familiar faces for the recruits. But I can see your point and that it might be a sign that Riley will still be here.

At the very least, Riley proved to a lot of national writers that Nebraska could still be a top destination for recruits. I know his last two classes finished similar to Bo’s, but this class started off with a bang and I think it would have only gotten better if the product wasn’t so poor. Riley and some of his assistants used the advantages here perfectly. No more lazy recruiting excuses from our future coaches.

I agree with your initial viewpoint. If Bounds was thinking Riley would still be here he would leave him to do his thing. Why meddle. But if he is thinking Riley "May" not be here its a good idea to have Riley and staff present with the recruits to break the ice and help him build a relationship with some of these guys and their parents. He is simply hedging his bet. 

NM11046    2,042

Bounds would not have had the entire fb staff attend the dinner if all he wanted to do was show the kids we will suport them no matter what.  

Mavric    10,348
28 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Bounds would not have had the entire fb staff attend the dinner if all he wanted to do was show the kids we will suport them no matter what.  

Eh, I'm not sure you can make a conclusion on that either way.

If he has all the recruits and none of the coaches, that would seem to raise some pretty big questions.  Especially since the coaches only have a limited amount of time with those recruits in town.

ScottyIce    1,928
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree with your initial viewpoint. If Bounds was thinking Riley would still be here he would leave him to do his thing. Why meddle. But if he is thinking Riley "May" not be here its a good idea to have Riley and staff present with the recruits to break the ice and help him build a relationship with some of these guys and their parents. He is simply hedging his bet. 

Perhaps Bounds was there, to show recruits (ones that are already committed STRONGLY to HCMR and the Williamses') that this coaching staff is safe. Feel secure with your commitment because this staff gets another year.

Mavric    10,348

I would say the most likely explanation is that Bounds wants the football team to be successful and is willing to help in any way he can.

That can be true regardless of whether any decision has been made about Riley's future or not.

GBRFAN    456

Mav

That conclusion is spot on - any more or less is just an educated or uneducated guess - Nothing wrong with the brass playing both sides of the fence until the answer is obvious.

Mavric    10,348

Not getting a good feeling from this week.  Basically no new offers for some time.  Now we roll out several this week.  But none of them are guys that are going to significantly improve our currently #31 recruiting class.

Caliborn72    137

Knowing how set our staff was on not needing a QB for the class, I wonder if the sudden interest is due to some potential attrition at the position?

swmohusker    713
16 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

Knowing how set our staff was on not needing a QB for the class, I wonder if the sudden interest is due to some potential attrition at the position?

Might be because some of the big fish we were after might be losing interest and we can take a QB now.  

Caliborn72    137

So, it never made sense not to go after a RB this class but it’s even more questionable with how this season has progressed.

I’m not sure that Bryant will ever be able to play a full season again. Maybe taking several months off from football and lifting will help get his knee right, but our staff needs to prepare as if that’s not the case. After ‘18, we lose Ozigbo, Wilbon, and possibly Bryant and that would leave a junior Bradley and, I assume, a true freshman as the only scholarship backs heading into the ‘19 season. That would be beyond terrible roster balance and management.

Huskers93-97    516
30 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

So, it never made sense not to go after a RB this class but it’s even more questionable with how this season has progressed.

I’m not sure that Bryant will ever be able to play a full season again. Maybe taking several months off from football and lifting will help get his knee right, but our staff needs to prepare as if that’s not the case. After ‘18, we lose Ozigbo, Wilbon, and possibly Bryant and that would leave a junior Bradley and, I assume, a true freshman as the only scholarship backs heading into the ‘19 season. That would be beyond terrible roster balance and management.

Especially knowing they knew of this knee issue. Riley mentioned it was like this in high school. He just has an old knee he said. So this isnt a surprise.

Mavric    10,348

Only some of the coaches will be at practice tomorrow as the rest will be out on the road getting a jump on recruiting for the weekend.

swmohusker    713
13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Only some of the coaches will be at practice tomorrow as the rest will be out on the road getting a jump on recruiting for the weekend.

AKA working on their resumes  JK!  (kind of)

Only ways he can save his job is killing it with a few recruits and  winning the games that got Bo fired.  

Going to be an interesting finish to the season.  Husker football has not been good as of late, but it sure hasn't been boring.  

swmohusker    713

Coach cav is looking up the area code of his new recruit so he can tweet it with the mascot of the player's team he is recruiting.  

Looking for a big, rich LANCER from the 813!

Waldo    207
4 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Coach cav is looking up the area code of his new recruit so he can tweet it with the mascot of the player's team he is recruiting.  

Looking for a big, rich LANCER from the 813!

Glad to see Cav taking a break from coaching. 

Mavric    10,348
45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Have to say, I have lost one heck of a lot of interest in recruiting until the season is over and see what happens with our coaching situation.  

Yeah, you're not the only one.

Waldo    207
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Have to say, I have lost one heck of a lot of interest in recruiting until the season is over and see what happens with our coaching situation.  

Reminds me of middle school, when you knew your buddy was getting dumped a few days before it happened but couldn't do anything about it. 

Caliborn72    137

DLine recruiting still seems weird to me. I thought Wildeman was more of an OLB, but maybe the plan is that he will be a DE going forward. I would think DE has a favorable depth chart for recruits but we don’t seem to be making much ground on true DEs for the system.

Warrior10    1,930
2 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

DLine recruiting still seems weird to me. I thought Wildeman was more of an OLB, but maybe the plan is that he will be a DE going forward. I would think DE has a favorable depth chart for recruits but we don’t seem to be making much ground on true DEs for the system.

Wildeman is, and has been, 100% DE.

I think the staff would prefer a Dline class of Wildeman, Carson, and Maspry.

Edited by Warrior10

Mavric    10,348

Word is Riley is watching 2018 DTQB Jace Ruder, currently committed to North Carolina.  None of the sites show a Nebraska offer as of now.

Riley also said to be watching Oregon State QB commit Spencer Petras tomorrow.

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

Word is Riley is watching 2018 DTQB Jace Ruder, currently committed to North Carolina.  None of the sites show a Nebraska offer as of now.

Riley also said to be watching Oregon State QB commit Spencer Petras tomorrow.

I am tired of reading that school's name.  If Riley is removed, we should block that from being displayed on the board

Mavric    10,348
25 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

But but but this recruiting cycle is too small......

Fortunately for us quarterbacks almost always wait until late in the cycle to commit.

If they were a position group that often committed early, I might be worried about the choices we have left at this point.

StPaulHusker    5,080
14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Fortunately for us quarterbacks almost always wait until late in the cycle to commit.

If they were a position group that often committed early, I might be worried about the choices we have left at this point.

Good thing this staff knows a thing or two about roster management

Red Five    3,590

This is insane. My guess is they have struck out on A LOT of players on their board, so now room for a QB.

Best case they make some inroads with Ruder to get him familiar with Nebraska, and the next HC can flip him.

StPaulHusker    5,080
34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This is insane. My guess is they have struck out on A LOT of players on their board, so now room for a QB.

Best case they make some inroads with Ruder to get him familiar with Nebraska, and the next HC can flip him.

That can't be.  Remember?  We are only taking "the right" QB in 2018.  Mainly because all of the other QB's chose other schools.  But it will still be the right one...

Red Five    3,590

Anyways, it going to be fascinating interesting to see how coaching changes mesh with the early signing period.