Mavric

***2018 Recruiting***

26 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I actually thought about posting this for the memes. We will not even get a visit from him. We have our targets and visits set. I believe with all the OV's set up we have 54 or 53 OV's that have been taken or are planned, and the university can only give 55 Ov's total or something like that. Might be a little off on that maybe @Mavric knows what I am talking about.

Is that a new rule?  I didn't think it was capped.

We currently have 15 commits.  Frost had said the number is 20.  We could sign 22.

I think we're looking for 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 OL, 1 DL, 1 LB and 2 DBs.  Then possibly another WR, 1 TE, another OL and another DL depending on how the numbers work out - especially with Mapieu and Smith.  Jurgens may also end up at LB which might explain why we're still looking for TEs and help fill the numbers at LB.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 2 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Matthew Tago, Jamarye Joiner
RB - 2 - JUCO GREG BELL, Javian Hawkins, Ta'zhawn Henry, Maurice Washington
WR - 4-5 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE, JUCO MIKE WILLAIMS,  Dominick Watt Miles Jones
TE - 1-2 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall, Doug Johnson, Blake McDonald
OG/C - 1-2 - WILL FARNIOK, Jarrett Bell, Tyrone Sampson

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste, Caleb Tannor
CB - 1-2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Braxton Clark, Taiyon Palmer, Kendrick Torain
S - 2-3 - CJ SMITH, Cam'ron Jones, Tyrese Ross

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Is that a new rule?  I didn't think it was capped.

It is a rule.  I thought it was 56 but I'm not sure.

We've used quite a few but there are also oddities about it.  Like you can count some of them back to the previous year and such.  So I'm not sure exactly how many we have left.  But the HOL guys didn't think it would be a problem as of yesterday.

13 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

I would say 2 or 3. Those being Carson, Washington, and the Ole Miss transfer.

With the recent developments, Washington obviously wont be committing any time soon.

I thought Williams would commit this weekend, but now he is on board, I still think we get 2-3 more. Not fully sure who, but think your guesses of Carson and the Ole Miss transfer are right on.

Think we get 1 maybe 2 other "surprise" ones.

On 1/10/2018 at 6:51 PM, Mavric said:

It is a rule.  I thought it was 56 but I'm not sure.

We've used quite a few but there are also oddities about it.  Like you can count some of them back to the previous year and such.  So I'm not sure exactly how many we have left.  But the HOL guys didn't think it would be a problem as of yesterday.

The rule is 56 OVs per cycle and you can carry over 6 unused ones from the previous cycle.

As of right now - before this weekend's visitors - we have used 41 out of 62.  Word is 8 OVs this weekend so we'll have 13 left for the rest of this cycle.

On 1/12/2018 at 9:51 AM, Mavric said:

The rule is 56 OVs per cycle and you can carry over 6 unused ones from the previous cycle.

As of right now - before this weekend's visitors - we have used 41 out of 62.  Word is 8 OVs this weekend so we'll have 13 left for the rest of this cycle.

Which the bad thing about this year kids can do spring official visits and the official visits number doesn’t reset until August. We’ve been able to get quite a few kids to unofficial the spring game before so hopefully that continues. 

Edited by famoustitles

40 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So when does the next commit hit? Sunday?

I wouldn't be surprised if Dixon or CJones made the call Saturday to generate hype for the weekend. 

50 minutes ago, famoustitles said:

Which the bad thing about this year kids can do spring official visits this year and the official visits number doesn’t reset until August. We’ve been able to get quite a few kids to unofficial the spring game before so hopefully that continues. 

I guess I would think the OV count would reset in February.  It's "per cycle" and the cycle for visits would expire at the end of the 2018 class and be reset when visits start for the 2019 class.

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I would think the OV count would reset in February.  It's "per cycle" and the cycle for visits would expire at the end of the 2018 class and be reset when visits start for the 2019 class.

I agree, Wiltfong I believe is the guy who said August though.

Thought exercise on Dixon...

Do we want him eligible this year?  If so, that means that Shea Patterson at Mich will be eligible too.  So is it more important to have Dixon this year, or to have make Harbaugh go another year w/o a decent QB?

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Do we want him eligible this year?  If so, that means that Shea Patterson at Mich will be eligible too.  So is it more important to have Dixon this year, or to have make Harbaugh go another year w/o a decent QB?

I'd rather have Frost have his full arsenal and take my chances against whoever the opponent brings out.

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Absolutely.  He’s speed at the LB position we lack.

9 hours ago, Red Five said:

I'd rather have our guy eligible for the whole season versus worrying about one player on an opponent for one game, two max.

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Doesn’t the main signing period technically go until April? Perhaps they don’t consider a cycle done until after the signing period for the cycle is officially closed.

8 hours ago, caveman99 said:

Doesn’t the main signing period technically go until April? Perhaps they don’t consider a cycle done until after the signing period for the cycle is officially closed.

Yeah, that would be the same thing.  It would reset when this cycle is over and next year's cycle starts.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that would be the same thing.  It would reset when this cycle is over and next year's cycle starts.

So if their visit limit carries thru April then they are in a crunch to stretch the allotted 2017 official visits out now before signing day AND for the initial 2018 visitors for Spring Game. 13 visits remaining after this weekend with 2 more to go until signing day plus the Spring Game seems tight.

All I know if I am very excited with the level of talent we are getting to campus on such short notice. I expect this staff to out recruit several of our previous staffs. They also know what they want and need to run their system. I am PUMPED! 

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

All I know if I am very excited with the level of talent we are getting to campus on such short notice. I expect this staff to out recruit several of our previous staffs. They also know what they want and need to run their system. I am PUMPED! 

Pumped is an understatement for me.  I like the fact that many of the recruits are athletes first and foremost, and can perhaps shift to another position, if needed. 

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Have we used OVs for the spring game often? I thought that was more of a UV thing. 

This will be the first spring that allows OV

4 hours ago, caveman99 said:

So if their visit limit carries thru April then they are in a crunch to stretch the allotted 2017 official visits out now before signing day AND for the initial 2018 visitors for Spring Game. 13 visits remaining after this weekend with 2 more to go until signing day plus the Spring Game seems tight.

No.  There is one set of OVs for the Class of 2018 recruiting cycle.  It will reset for the Class of 2019 recruiting cycle.  They don’t overlap.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

No.  There is one set of OVs for the Class of 2018 recruiting cycle.  It will reset for the Class of 2019 recruiting cycle.  They don’t overlap.

Ok that makes more sense. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

N!!

Will be interesting to follow whether or not the transfers are able to play right away or not.  Anyway, good news either way!  Welcome Neon Breon!

So after Dixon counting current commits we are at 81 scholarships. Therefore, 7 more are available correct?

Edited by Warrior10

9 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

So after Dixon counting current commits we are at 81 scholarships. Therefore, 7 more are available correct?

Correct

Random weather note:

It was cold in Lincoln.

In somewhat-related news, the four remaining teams in the NFL playoffs are New England, Philadelphia, Minnesota and Jacksonville.  Could have swapped Pittsburgh for Jacksonville and made it a clean sweep for the north.

We currently have 15 commits.  Plus two transfers - I wonder if we're holding a scholarship spot for Vedral.  We could sign 22 or 21 if Vedral has a spot.

Not sure we're taking a second QB now with Vedral on board and Tago not visiting this weekend.  Numbers are getting tight with seven spots left - six if Vedral gets a scholly.  Of course that also depend on the academic situations of Mapieu and Smith.  Mapieu is sounding better now.  Not sure where Smith is.

I would say we're for sure taking 1 RB or RB/WR hybrid, 1 OL, 1 DL and 1 DB.  I think we'd take another RB/WR, OL and DB if we can get the guys we want.  I'm sure we'd take JJB or Tannor but I think we could get by with the LBs we have, plus I kind of think Jurgens gets moved.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1-2 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Matthew Tago, Jamarye Joiner
RB - 2 - JUCO GREG BELL, Javian Hawkins, Ta'zhawn Henry, Maurice Washington
WR - 4-5 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE, JUCO MIKE WILLAIMS,  Dominick Watt Miles Jones
TE - 1 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall, Doug Johnson, Blake McDonald
OG/C - 1-2 - WILL FARNIOK, Jarrett Bell, Tyrone Sampson

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU
DE - 1-2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste, Caleb Tannor
CB - 1-2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Braxton Clark, Taiyon Palmer, Kendrick Torain
S - 1-2 - CJ SMITH, Cam'ron Jones, Tyrese Ross

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

As well as the weekend appears to have gone and we didnt have any high school commits yet. I have a feeling we hit one today. With our limited spots left maybe that would spur a flurry to make sure they hold their spot.

21 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

As well as the weekend appears to have gone and we didnt have any high school commits yet. I have a feeling we hit one today. With our limited spots left maybe that would spur a flurry to make sure they hold their spot.

This happens every time. They need to go home and talk it over. Some like Miles Jones have given updated timelines. They will come. It's just not as frequently on the weekend as people would like.

I really suck at knowing our staff names, what position they coach and recognizing them. 

Dont know now why I’m having such a hard time with this staff. 

On 1/14/2018 at 10:17 PM, Mavric said:

Random weather note:

It was cold in Lincoln.

In somewhat-related news, the four remaining teams in the NFL playoffs are New England, Philadelphia, Minnesota and Jacksonville.  Could have swapped Pittsburgh for Jacksonville and made it a clean sweep for the north.

Minnesota plays in a dome, you dummy. 

;)

On 1/13/2018 at 10:42 AM, Hedley Lamarr said:

Is this sentiment based off of any metrics like stars or offer lists, or is it more of just a 'feeling'?

I'm not saying this is an indictment on Frost, but we're currently ranked 8th in the B1G and 3rd in the West.

Edited by Landlord

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Is this sentiment based off of any metrics like stars or offer lists, or is it more of just a 'feeling'?

I'm not saying this is an indictment on Frost, but we're currently ranked 8th in the B1G and 3rd in the West.

I think when you look at where the class was after all the defections, the emphasis on juco patchwork to help turnover the roster, transfers, and the amount of visits we have secured given the time constraints and limited pool of talent, it's easy to feel this staff is doing a bang up job. I agree though, no time to celebrate either. Let's see how this class finishes and if they can carry this energy and buzz around the program into next year.

On 1/13/2018 at 2:13 PM, caveman99 said:

Ok that makes more sense. Thanks.

Apparently I was not correct on this.  I understood it to be per cycle.  But now I'm seeing that the OV count doesn't reset until August.  Maybe when they made the change to earlier OVs they didn't change the OV reset date to match.

At any rate, it sounds like the understanding right now is we won't have very many OVs to use this spring because the "cycle" doesn't reset until August.