***2018 Recruiting***

Putting all our eggs in the Grant Gunnell basket.

Risky, but you have to believe GG will feel awfully flattered. Hopefully it's enough.

I would rather not rely on the flattery a 16 year old kid feels in regards to how to operate a collegiate football team.

Dude, You and I have no clue how to operate a collegiate football team. But, I do know that part of recruiting is making a recruit feel WANTED. Nothing says we want you more than, Hey, we aren't taking a QB in 2018 and you are the only offer we have out for 2019. Enough said.

Tell that to Nick Saban that started a RS freshman at QB in the National Championship and still signed 2 4 star QB's in 2017. This type of flattery will bite teams. Only the best teams know that and sign QB's every year.

Ohio St has 4 QB's ahead of their 2018 5 star QB. Didn't stop them.

Clemson signed a 5 star QB in 2017 and has a commitment from another in 2018

I could list more but you get the point. You don't skip on QB's in any class anymore.

I'm not saying we should skip one, but I trust coach riley more than I do your advice.

It's not advice. It's an opinion based on the fact that much better teams than Nebraska don't skip on QB's.

We offered a kicker a scholarship but he's going to wait until 2019 for a QB? Sorry. That's not a solid plan.

Like I said, I like advice or plans from our coaching staff. You're not going to persuade me that you know better or more.

What is the point in having this message board then if people cant voice their opinions?

People can voice their opinions. Mine differs from Matty's. That can happen from time to time.

That's the point. Matty is pretty much saying youre not a coach, so you don't know what youre talking about.

I didn't take it that way. He says he trusts the coaches more than me. Which is a fair statement

Risky, but you have to believe GG will feel awfully flattered. Hopefully it's enough.

I would rather not rely on the flattery a 16 year old kid feels in regards to how to operate a collegiate football team.

Dude, You and I have no clue how to operate a collegiate football team. But, I do know that part of recruiting is making a recruit feel WANTED. Nothing says we want you more than, Hey, we aren't taking a QB in 2018 and you are the only offer we have out for 2019. Enough said.

Tell that to Nick Saban that started a RS freshman at QB in the National Championship and still signed 2 4 star QB's in 2017. This type of flattery will bite teams. Only the best teams know that and sign QB's every year.

I could list more but you get the point. You don't skip on QB's in any class anymore.

I'm not saying we should skip one, but I trust coach riley more than I do your advice.

It's not advice. It's an opinion based on the fact that much better teams than Nebraska don't skip on QB's.

We offered a kicker a scholarship but he's going to wait until 2019 for a QB? Sorry. That's not a solid plan.

Like I said, I like advice or plans from our coaching staff. You're not going to persuade me that you know better or more.

What is the point in having this message board then if people cant voice their opinions?

People can voice their opinions. Mine differs from Matty's. That can happen from time to time.

That's the point. Matty is pretty much saying youre not a coach, so you don't know what youre talking about.

Yeah?

I just don't like the idea of not taking a QB.

What if the staff can't get a QB recruit they like? Would you rather they take a chance on a QB recruit in a small class this year?

I think that's exactly what the staff is fighting right now.

They aren't just taking someone, just to take someone. Same as at the Kicker position. They didn't just take that guy because they needed a kicker. They took him because he is on the top of the board at a position of need/want. Some of you argued that we have a solid walk-on coming, well the staff felt better about taking one.

Maybe they feel solid about a walk-on QB this class rather than wasting a scholarship on a guy they don't deem good enough to take?

What if the staff can't get a QB recruit they like? Would you rather they take a chance on a QB recruit in a small class this year?

Yes

This is basically where my opinion differs from yours. Why take a guy just to take a guy at QB? It's such a different position. I understand sometimes you need to just take a guy at a different position for depth purposes. Say you have 15 scholarship OL (approx), maybe 1-2 of those guys you felt like you had to take, just for numbers sake. You might have 4-6 QB's on scholarship, you need to have the right 4-6 guys. You can't just take guys that are supposed leaders of the team.

I agree, that we should take a QB this class, but it has to be the right guy, and if the staff feels that they don't have a "right" guy at this time or at NSD, then I agree with their assessment.

Yes

This is basically where my opinion differs from yours. Why take a guy just to take a guy at QB? It's such a different position. I understand sometimes you need to just take a guy at a different position for depth purposes. Say you have 15 scholarship OL (approx), maybe 1-2 of those guys you felt like you had to take, just for numbers sake. You might have 4-6 QB's on scholarship, you need to have the right 4-6 guys. You can't just take guys that are supposed leaders of the team.

I agree, that we should take a QB this class, but it has to be the right guy, and if the staff feels that they don't have a "right" guy at this time or at NSD, then I agree with their assessment.

I'm not confident we will have 3 scholarship QB's on the roster following the 2017-18 season. That is a concern to me when looking at what the other elite teams are doing.

I am confident, however, that the coaching staff wouldn't have to take a QB this cycle just to take one. I think they could get a very good QB to commit.

maybe i would feel better about things if the QB everyone was hanging their hat on wasn't still 2 years from leaving HS.

• Fire 1

Barret Pickering can play the qb spot. Come on guys he can kick the ball to players instead of throw it to them. This will make us unique as well as unpredictable.

/s

We have 4 able bodied qbs ready to play and one could play in an emergency. In 2018 we will still have all 4 sans a Tanner Lee super season. In 2019 we can take two if need be and have five capable qbs on the roster. This staff knows what its doing, if some players leave after the season, we may go after a qb with that open scholarship. We will finish are recruiting in June and recruit the heck out of a qb if need be after attrition.

As low percentage of a chance this is...what if Lee does leave after this season, then Gebbia beats out POB. Is POB going to back him up or transfer? If we don't get a QB in this class, we're then banking on Lee not being a monster and Gebbia isn't phenomenal either. Don't take a QB just to take one but I really hope we can identify a solid kid for this class.

See how you feel when we need a 47 yard kick to win the game against Wisconsin or something like that.

See how you feel when your QB gets you in range for a 17 yard kick to win the game.

See how you feel when we need a 47 yard kick to win the game against Wisconsin or something like that.

See how you feel when your QB gets you in range for a 17 yard kick to win the game.
Or doesn't, because we don't have one, because we didn't recruit one.
  • Fire 1

We have 3 quarterbacks right now. We will have just a walk on kicker next year. There are a whole lot of what if's to get to your quarterback issue where as the kicker was a pressing need. I recognize that we love to have the sky falling but we really need to slow our roll. Please also don't forget Andrew Bunch who seems like a much more capable quarterback than Ryker was on the roster as well. Walk on? Yes. Capable? Seems like it.

Do you really want them to waste a scholarship on someone who they don't feel should be at the helm of the offense?

Or continue to look for reasons to scrutinize. That's fine too.

As low percentage of a chance this is...what if Lee does leave after this season, then Gebbia beats out POB. Is POB going to back him up or transfer? If we don't get a QB in this class, we're then banking on Lee not being a monster and Gebbia isn't phenomenal either. Don't take a QB just to take one but I really hope we can identify a solid kid for this class.

TL will have had a MONSTER of a season to leave early. If that happens, we'll be in good shape to pick up a recruit late in the process (or flip one) or get another transfer QB or JUCO going forward. There are a lot of options.

• Fire 1

We have 3 quarterbacks right now. We will have just a walk on kicker next year. There are a whole lot of what if's to get to your quarterback issue where as the kicker was a pressing need. I recognize that we love to have the sky falling but we really need to slow our roll. Please also don't forget Andrew Bunch who seems like a much more capable quarterback than Ryker was on the roster as well. Walk on? Yes. Capable? Seems like it.

Do you really want them to waste a scholarship on someone who they don't feel should be at the helm of the offense?

Or continue to look for reasons to scrutinize. That's fine too.

personally I'm fine not taking a quarterback this cycle and looking into adding another walk on with Bunch(I too think Bunch is a capable back up) I was just playing into the thread :P

Not trying to be a prick, but is a 17 yard kick even possible?