***2018 Recruiting***

Tanner Lee doesn't have to have an amazing season to get drafted. Look no further than the #2 pick of the draft this year. Trubiski threw for 3700 yrds with 30 tds. Can Lee do that? I think so. TA threw for 3000 with 22 tds by only completing 50% of his passes. As long as Lee doesn't have a 1:1 td/int ratio he can get drafted. If he throws for close to 4k he will be gone. That leave the two current scholarship qbs to battle it out. I have a feeling whoever loses will stay because they are both young and have time to win the job or take over due to injury. I guess unless we find a QB who the coaches know is an absolute game changer I would be ok with skipping a qb this year if they can land a very talented player along the D line where we need more help than anywhere else on the field beside maybe O line

3,748 yards 30 TD 6 INT 68% - If Lee puts up those numbers we are 11-1 this season. I think we need to hold back the reigns a bit
Lee will probably in the 12-14 range for INTs but I don't see why he won't throw for over 3500 yards.

Total wild ass guess on Lee's production, I would go with

60% completion percentage

25-30 TDs

8-12 INTs

3800 yards

That is, if he and our top WRs stay healthy.

I could see 63-65% just because of what they are asking him to do in the offense. It's not really a high risk high reward. Hit all the underneath stuff until the deep stuff opens up. We will see I guess

What is the most frustrating to me is that we have upperclassmen who aren't even in a 3 deep and who aren't good enough to play thateat scholarships. I hate it when we have kids who are really talented and really good who would be better than kids we have on the team, yet we can't take them because we don't have open scholarships. I'm so glad Hannon and Johnson decided to move on. They were a prime example of upperclassmen who would never see the field, yet had scholarships. Adam Taylor and Boaz Joseph are other examples.

It kills me when we have a non contributor eating a scholarship and we have to count them in our allocated scholarship numbers for a position. I also understand that's on the staff for a mis in evaluation or it could be on the kid for a lack of work put in to eat right, condition, etc.

I just hate when we say things like we can only take 2 OL players this year cause we have 16 scholarship OL, when OL is having trouble finding players good enough or deep enough to be good.

I think there should be some sort of NCAA rule where if a kid gets injured and can't play as well after that, they go towards a medical scholarship that doesn't count towards our 85 so they can finish out school, get their degree, and we can open up their spot to a player.

• Fire 1

What is the most frustrating to me is that we have upperclassmen who aren't even in a 3 deep and who aren't good enough to play thateat scholarships. I hate it when we have kids who are really talented and really good who would be better than kids we have on the team, yet we can't take them because we don't have open scholarships. I'm so glad Hannon and Johnson decided to move on. They were a prime example of upperclassmen who would never see the field, yet had scholarships. Adam Taylor and Boaz Joseph are other examples.

It kills me when we have a non contributor eating a scholarship and we have to count them in our allocated scholarship numbers for a position. I also understand that's on the staff for a mis in evaluation or it could be on the kid for a lack of work put in to eat right, condition, etc.

I just hate when we say things like we can only take 2 OL players this year cause we have 16 scholarship OL, when OL is having trouble finding players good enough or deep enough to be good.

I think there should be some sort of NCAA rule where if a kid gets injured and can't play as well after that, they go towards a medical scholarship that doesn't count towards our 85 so they can finish out school, get their degree, and we can open up their spot to a player.

I get what you're saying about the 4 players you listed by name, but now they are seniors so their "eating" of a scholarship doesn't affect the size of this class now.

• Fire 3

I get what you're saying about the 4 players you listed by name, but now they are seniors so their "eating" of a scholarship doesn't affect the size of this class now.
And if we processed those guys last year we'd have an even smaller senior class this year.

Separate note: I'm getting to the point where I don't think we should redshirt anyone. 5 years of non contributors is where we run into scholarship issues

• Fire 2

And if we processed those guys last year we'd have an even smaller senior class this year.

Separate note: I'm getting to the point where I don't think we should redshirt anyone. 5 years of non contributors is where we run into scholarship issues

I definitely get that separate note feeling. I do think that it will be very helpful with guys like our last 2 oline classes. We've had a few skill guys and linebackers who it will probably be nice to have around the extra year. To be fair the same was probably said of the non-contributing sophomore class too until we saw their actual production level. Zilch.

StPaulHusker said: QB is the one spot that shouldn't be factored in on open spots. It should just be automatic that you get one every year.

I 100% agree.

I know 85 scholarship limitations can pose quandaries to coaching staffs regarding who/how many to sign in a given year...

But QB can make or break a team. To that end, sign the absolute best one you can every year.

Putting all our eggs in the Grant Gunnell basket.

Risky, but you have to believe GG will feel awfully flattered. Hopefully it's enough.

I would rather not rely on the flattery a 16 year old kid feels in regards to how to operate a collegiate football team.

Dude, You and I have no clue how to operate a collegiate football team. But, I do know that part of recruiting is making a recruit feel WANTED. Nothing says we want you more than, Hey, we aren't taking a QB in 2018 and you are the only offer we have out for 2019. Enough said.

Tell that to Nick Saban that started a RS freshman at QB in the National Championship and still signed 2 4 star QB's in 2017. This type of flattery will bite teams. Only the best teams know that and sign QB's every year.

Ohio St has 4 QB's ahead of their 2018 5 star QB. Didn't stop them.

Clemson signed a 5 star QB in 2017 and has a commitment from another in 2018

I could list more but you get the point. You don't skip on QB's in any class anymore.

I'm not saying we should skip one, but I trust coach riley more than I do your advice.

It's not advice. It's an opinion based on the fact that much better teams than Nebraska don't skip on QB's.

We offered a kicker a scholarship but he's going to wait until 2019 for a QB? Sorry. That's not a solid plan.

See how you feel when we need a 47 yard kick to win the game against Wisconsin or something like that.

See how you feel when your QB gets you in range for a 17 yard kick to win the game.

Not trying to be a prick, but is a 17 yard kick even possible?

Yes, imagine 4th and goal from the 1" line