2015 FIFA Women's World Cup

zoogs

So, I really enjoy watching international soccer.

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/

In the U.S., broadcast rights are owned by Fox, which doesn't seem to be providing online streaming for free as ESPN did last summer with the men's tournament. However, you don't need cable, either, as FoxSoccer2Go gives you access to all soccer games broadcast by Fox as well as limited replays for $20/mo. or $100/yr.

I asked this in a status earlier but I guess I'm answering my own question now. There's some (valid) criticism for Fox here, and apparently the announcers available via Soccer2Go are not their top teams. Also, they don't have a constant overlay showing the score and time, which seems really odd.

On the whole, the price seems abundantly reasonable for coverage over the entire world cup. And the announcers seem okay to me (I'm not picky, anyway). I always like to pay for coverage and am looking forward to a future where this becomes easier, higher quality, and available for more sports (such as football -- I think the NFL offering is only for the preseason? Anyway...)

Next match for Team USA is Friday at 5pm Pacific / 8pm Eastern, against Sweden -- coached by former (through 2012) USWNT coach Pia Sundhage, who's been tossing some I guess you would call it class in advance of the contest.

USA lost to Japan in the 2011 final. Our women's team is consistently very strong, so let's hope for a #1 finish this time! Hopefully we have some other folks here who will enjoy this tournament.

So, I really enjoy watching international soccer.

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/

In the U.S., broadcast rights are owned by Fox, which doesn't seem to be providing online streaming for free as ESPN did last summer with the men's tournament. However, you don't need cable, either, as FoxSoccer2Go gives you access to all soccer games broadcast by Fox as well as limited replays for $20/mo. or $100/yr.

I asked this in a status earlier but I guess I'm answering my own question now. There's some (valid) criticism for Fox here, and apparently the announcers available via Soccer2Go are not their top teams. Also, they don't have a constant overlay showing the score and time, which seems really odd.

On the whole, the price seems abundantly reasonable for coverage over the entire world cup. And the announcers seem okay to me (I'm not picky, anyway). I always like to pay for coverage and am looking forward to a future where this becomes easier, higher quality, and available for more sports (such as football -- I think the NFL offering is only for the preseason? Anyway...)

Next match for Team USA is Friday at 5pm Pacific / 8pm Eastern, against Sweden -- coached by former (through 2012) USWNT coach Pia Sundhage, who's been tossing some I guess you would call it class in advance of the contest.

USA lost to Japan in the 2011 final. Our women's team is consistently very strong, so let's hope for a #1 finish this time! Hopefully we have some other folks here who will enjoy this tournament.

That's really weird that they don't just give their FS1 broadcast for the online subscription service, and just insane that they don't have an overlay showing the time and score throughout the game. $20 a month is way too high for such a specific streaming service anyways.

Yeah, but I'll only use it for the World Cup (and maybe the Gold Cup). It's not like there are any (non cable) alternatives, unfortunately.

FWIW, you also get the U-20 world cup games (if you're interested), some kind of rugby selection, international friendlies such as USA-Germany, and 2016 Euro qualifying games (which do have the score/time overlay and the top broadcast team).

* Actually, I think in the US, there is one alternative: the spanish broadcast from NBC Deportes is free. :lol: May even be more entertaining?

2 U.S. players having to miss the next match is a bummer. I hope we have the depth for it. Press did seem to play well after she came on. With Rapinoe out that's probably a lot of experience gone, though. In 2011, she delivered that amazing cross on Abby Wambach's last-minute winner against Brazil.

Didn't seem like the sharpest performance today (or at least, it didn't seem like there was a great deal of urgency...but the USA were never threatened). And, I'm not sure China will be any more of a match for us than Colombia was. Hopefully they put a good licking on them. China's tactics at the end of their final group stage match were pretty rotten.

Kind of a crazy story today on SI.com on how the USWNT's kit man was recently fired in advance of this year's World Cup.

The kit man (Maxwell) was asked by a player to put her in touch with sponsors, something he had done previously, with that player going to Nike. This time, the player was courted by Nike but spurned them for Adidas. And Nike was not happy.

The message, Maxwell says, was simple: You’re fired.

Maxwell says he asked Wall in the phone conversation if his firing was the direct result of his helping Morgan Brian in January and her subsequent decision to sign with Adidas.

“His response,” Maxwell says, “was: ‘Yes.’”