We bought a puppy. Looking for tips

My wife and I bought a German Shepherd Puppy. We were supposed to pick her up this Sunday, but because the whole litter was picked up early, we ended up getting her two weeks ago.

She is a pretty good dog so far. She whines when she has to go to the bathroom and has had a few accidents in the house but fairly limited in the week we have had her.

A few areas that she has struggled, is biting while playing(this is a puppy thing) and she seems to have major seperation issues(again, expected with a puppy.)

Sadly we both work during the day, so she needs to be crated. So far she has only spent a few hours in there at one time, and we have had others help go let her out or take her for the day(might add confusion/screw up routine).

We are officially moving in to our new house this weekend, so we will have a pen in our garage that will have a doggy door for a fenced in area. That will help, but until that point she gets crated in the morning.

I am looking for any advice people have who have gone through the puppy fun recently. I think the biting thing is handled. When she bites, I "yelp" and then try and ignore her.

The crating has been a bit more difficult. When i put her in there, she freaks out. She whines, barks and makes a ton of noise. I am wondering what i can do to help that, or is it just something she grows out of?

I tried putting food and water in there in the past, but she knocked them over.

I might try putting them at the back of the kennel to see if she wont hit them over. Tons of toys and things to chew on are in her kennel and she will occasionally go in there during the day to get things out.

Also, in terms of punishment. If she is naughty, i dont want to put her in her kennel, because i dont want her to think of that as a punishment place. Any suggestion on a "time out" location?

600240C5-C0D6-4F04-BD88-2BA0A2A3F13C.jpg

7A794F74-CEAC-48AD-8ADC-8FC814D33DE6.jpg

4637B8BE-3339-4844-BFEE-BAB3771A929B.jpg

Definitely recommend doing a training session with someone reputable. In today's age there's tons of information out there on how to, at least supposedly, do it yourself, but going to a class with other people in the same situation and taught by someone who knows their stuff is incredibly beneficial in helping getting your dog trained right, and also teaching you how to interact with them well.

My wife and I bought a German Shepherd Puppy. We were supposed to pick her up this Sunday, but because the whole litter was picked up early, we ended up getting her two weeks ago.

She is a pretty good dog so far. She whines when she has to go to the bathroom and has had a few accidents in the house but fairly limited in the week we have had her.

A few areas that she has struggled, is biting while playing(this is a puppy thing) and she seems to have major seperation issues(again, expected with a puppy.)

Sadly we both work during the day, so she needs to be crated. So far she has only spent a few hours in there at one time, and we have had others help go let her out or take her for the day(might add confusion/screw up routine).

We are officially moving in to our new house this weekend, so we will have a pen in our garage that will have a doggy door for a fenced in area. That will help, but until that point she gets crated in the morning.

I am looking for any advice people have who have gone through the puppy fun recently. I think the biting thing is handled. When she bites, I "yelp" and then try and ignore her.

The crating has been a bit more difficult. When i put her in there, she freaks out. She whines, barks and makes a ton of noise. I am wondering what i can do to help that, or is it just something she grows out of?

I tried putting food and water in there in the past, but she knocked them over.

I might try putting them at the back of the kennel to see if she wont hit them over. Tons of toys and things to chew on are in her kennel and she will occasionally go in there during the day to get things out.

Also, in terms of punishment. If she is naughty, i dont want to put her in her kennel, because i dont want her to think of that as a punishment place. Any suggestion on a "time out" location?

Ill get pictures posted shortly.

All good questions. My wife and i recently bough a German Shepherd as well. He is now a 10 month old 100 lb bohemoth. Training them early is very important.

In regards to the biting a stern "no" or yelp worked for us as well. Puppys use their mouths for everything (ours still does some) it's something they will grow out of.

Ours wasnt crated for long because we had the same problem as you. I've heard of putting something in their that smells like you (a shirt, shoes, shorts) something you wouldn't mind getting chewed on. I've also hear of people covering the crate with a blanket at night so it's completely dark and also makes the dog feel more relaxed/safe. Give the puppy lots of excersise so its tired at night. If you wear them out, they will sleep better. I try to take ours on 3 walks/day and also play fetch in the yard.

Discipline is tricky. We have never used a timeout corner for a dog. A stern "no" worked pretty good for us. Teaching them commands like sit, lay down, and stay are always useful when a dog is misbehaving too.

Always socialize your dog as well. Let him play with other dogs and see other people (strangers) daily. GSD's can become aggresive. Ours began to act out on us at roughly around 5 months old, barking and growling at people, especially kids. So we set up play dates with a friend who owns a dog and also with a couple down the block who have some younger kids he can run around with. This is still something we are working on.

Exercise often and teach him commands. They are smart dogs and will catch on.

• Fire 2

I have two GSDs that are sisters. One is huge the other normal size. idk

Crate trained them until they started getting too big for the larger wire crates. Now they stay in the garage or the house. 5 years old. And they are smart, taught themselves how to open gates and doors. The smaller one, Jasmine, has a high drive. But the big one, Shasta, has a aggressive, protective mean streak that needs looking after when strangers come to the house.

Great dogs though. Love them to pieces. Head tilts are priceless. :)

• Fire 1

I have two GSDs that are sisters. One is huge the other normal size. idk

Crate trained them until they started getting too big for the larger wire crates. Now they stay in the garage or the house. 5 years old. And they are smart, taught themselves how to open gates and doors. The smaller one, Jasmine, has a high drive. But the big one, Shasta, has a aggressive, protective mean streak that needs looking after when strangers come to the house.

Great dogs though. Love them to pieces. Head tilts are priceless. :)

I had 3 Shepherds growing up, hence why i got this one now that I have my own place.

The head tilt thing is awesome. Makes me laugh every time.

Thanks also to Wilby. Great information!

Yeah I don't have the heart to crate my Pugs even though my 8 year old boy has yet to stop pissing in the house.

Try one of those vests that is supposed to calm them down. It creates the sensation of being held and should ease the freak out.

Ground him for a week and take his X-Box away!! That'll show him!

Consistancy, as to the kennel / crate you should treat that like there home base. If dog is tired / sick of getting screwed with it should be a safe place.

As to how to get them used to it? Put treats in there everytime they go in, eventually work it into 1/2 then 1/3 1/4 sublimitting the treats with body rubs and praise.

Ceasar such and such is a good source.