Athlon Sports: Can Mike Riley Make Nebraska Football Great Again?

The question hit Steve Taylor harder than just about any opposing linebacker ever had — and he was a running quarterback.

His middle daughter, Skylar, a 17-year-old high school athlete and Nebraska football fan, needed a history lesson. As the Cornhuskers struggled to become a power in their relatively new Big Ten home, Skylar Taylor wanted a little perspective. Losses to Minnesota and Iowa had stung. So had that conference championship debacle against Wisconsin a couple years back. And the 63–38 embarrassment in Columbus in 2012 wasn’t easy to take, either. So, Skylar asked.

“Dad, were we ever good?”

http://athlonsports.com/magazines/can-mike-riley-make-nebraska-football-great-again

Riley is a great coach. He was a very hot commodity about five or six years ago. My hope is that he follows along a similar path to Snyder at KState. Snyder's last two years at KState before retiring were not very good which is similar to Riley's at Oregon State. Snyder has caught lightning in a bottle a second time when returning to KState. My hope is for a change of scenery that Riley catches lightning in a bottle a second time here in Lincoln. While he didn't take time off like Snyder, he did change the scenery. Regardless of how his last couple of seasons went at Oregon State, Riley is still a great coach.

Everyone has a different definition of great. Riley has been known to be the giant slayer. I have no doubt we will beat Ohio State at some time in the Riley era. Some people define great as winning the NC. While I'm not nearly as optimistic on this one, I believe he does at least give us a chance or put us in the discussion.

• Fire 3

“These players don’t have the same commitment to the program,” Taylor says. “They say, ‘Oh, well, there’s always next year.’ Dude, this is Nebraska! - [/size]

That is the biggest reason we haven't won a conference title since the last millenium.

• Fire 2

Not really. The fact our players no longer have the passion they did under TO is a huge reason we have fallen into mediocrity. You take the same teams we have fielded over the last 7 years and fill them full of that same passion and I promise the records take a big upswing.

Blanket statement or not. That hurts to here of any players with that attitude. It s hard to fill the team with the same passion as TO's. We had a lot of more Neb boys walking on in those days.

GBR!!!

I don't think it has to do with Neb boys but just the overall attitude of kids these days compared to back then. I see it first hand with the high school kids and even some of the younger kids in the town I live in.

• Fire 1

Blanket statement or not. That hurts to here of any players with that attitude. It s hard to fill the team with the same passion as TO's. We had a lot of more Neb boys walking on in those days.

GBR!!!

I don't think it has to do with Neb boys but just the overall attitude of kids these days compared to back then. I see it first hand with the high school kids and even some of the younger kids in the town I live in.

Haven't produced a team that gives two squirts since what 2005?

GBR!!!

Pretty much...Probably since your class or around there. Hate to say it but it took a nose dive when Malone left.

One that finished the year? I think since 2009.

It is an absolutely fair blanket statement. It came from the last coaches more or less directly, who were in full defensive mode about their record and achievements for a while. Hey, do you know how many coaches won at least 9 games in each of their first __ seasons? Did you know that only Alabama and Oregon share one particular stats streak with Nebraska in recent years?

The lofty expectations and pressures that come with being a top program are really kind of insane. But that's how these teams stay at the top, by not considering anything less to be good enough. When Riley has 8-4 or 9-4 seasons, I expect him to be positive, upbeat, encouraging. And to say, "This was a disappointing year. We have to do MUCH better." Dude, this is Nebraska!!

• Fire 1

Since all of the staff seem to see NU as a great opportunity - a once in a lifetime opportunity to get the success they always wanted to have - I think they will have the "this is Nebraska' attitude and not settle for 10-4 but will push all to obtain championships - cc and NC. Their attitude can't help but rub off on the players. The coaches see the specialness of NU - it is time these players see it and play up to it. GBR

• Fire 1

GBR!!!

Pretty much...Probably since your class or around there. Hate to say it but it took a nose dive when Malone left.

Sadly yeah