Has anyone here quit their job without something lined up?

I've avoided this question on purpose but I really have to wonder why would a person put themselves in the predicament of not having income on purpose. Stupid move if you ask me. Hey, I totally get that an existing job may suck ass and that a change needs to be made. Fine. Get the replacement job secured THEN quit. I really have to wonder how lazy a person is being that can't make that simple, logical step before quitting. Unless you are independently wealthy and don't need income, why would you even consider such a thing? Is somebody else going to put food on your table and pay your bills when you don't find that new job? Grow up.

Or people need to learn to create income without a job and actually run their own life.

Elaborate.

Run their own business. There are tons of different possibilities, such as franchises, new start-ups, or home based businesses. All three can have relatively low overhead which means relatively low risk, and in the case of home based businesses, extremely high reward if done correctly. With those, you just have to be willing to withstand a temporary loss of esteem from some people around you. Key word temporary.

That's not "creating income without having a job." Running a business is the business owner's job. Making $ playing poker for a living is a job. Studying stock market behavior and making $ that way is a job.

Point well taken. That's why I elaborated mostly on the home based business option. That's really the best and simplest way to generate income without taking up so much time. You build a team once and have the ability to be paid off of it for the rest of your life. It's called residual income, which we don't learn about in school (it's a shame really).

Obviously, there are people that don't like them for whatever silly reason, but insurance works exactly the same way. Real estate as well.

I've avoided this question on purpose but I really have to wonder why would a person put themselves in the predicament of not having income on purpose. Stupid move if you ask me. Hey, I totally get that an existing job may suck ass and that a change needs to be made. Fine. Get the replacement job secured THEN quit. I really have to wonder how lazy a person is being that can't make that simple, logical step before quitting. Unless you are independently wealthy and don't need income, why would you even consider such a thing? Is somebody else going to put food on your table and pay your bills when you don't find that new job? Grow up.

Or people need to learn to create income without a job and actually run their own life.

Elaborate.

Run their own business. There are tons of different possibilities, such as franchises, new start-ups, or home based businesses. All three can have relatively low overhead which means relatively low risk, and in the case of home based businesses, extremely high reward if done correctly. With those, you just have to be willing to withstand a temporary loss of esteem from some people around you. Key word temporary.

That's not "creating income without having a job." Running a business is the business owner's job. Making $ playing poker for a living is a job. Studying stock market behavior and making $ that way is a job.

Point well taken. That's why I elaborated mostly on the home based business option. That's really the best and simplest way to generate income without taking up so much time. You build a team once and have the ability to be paid off of it for the rest of your life. It's called residual income, which we don't learn about in school (it's a shame really).

Obviously, there are people that don't like them for whatever silly reason, but insurance works exactly the same way. Real estate as well.

Good point. I had not considered the residual income types such as Amway or Mary Kay, just to name a couple. Once you get to a certain level and get people selling beneath you, you really wouldn't have to be actively involved yourself to keep earning. I guess that would qualify as income without a job.

Elaborate.

But to JJHusker1's point, which was directly on point to the topic, it doesn't seem too smart to quit your job without at least getting started on your own business. Those home based businesses may be low risk but they usually take time to get off the ground, if they ever do.

Elaborate.

But to JJHusker1's point, which was directly on point to the topic, it doesn't seem too smart to quit your job without at least getting started on your own business. Those home based businesses may be low risk but they usually take time to get off the ground, if they ever do.

Oh trust me, I know that (from experience). But from my observation of people in the industry, the ones who have great success are the ones who just want it more and stick with their daily disciplines.

Elaborate.

Be a landlord and deal with rentals - and, ew, renters.

Live off of welfare - which is also not smart.

• 2 weeks later...

If I don't get some replies to this I'll probably make my own topic.

But I just accepted my first "real" job - full time with a salary - and I'm not sure on etiquette/expectations for some things.

For instance, my paid time off doesn't carry over each year. Is it perfectly normal to use up every single day of PTO that you receive? Or would it be frowned upon to use all of the days I get during my first year of working? How far ahead of time should I ask for it? How should I ask for it? After a month on the job I'll probably be able to ask one of my fellow employees but I'm really curious about these things now.

But I just accepted my first "real" job - full time with a salary - and I'm not sure on etiquette/expectations for some things.

For instance, my paid time off doesn't carry over each year. Is it perfectly normal to use up every single day of PTO that you receive? Or would it be frowned upon to use all of the days I get during my first year of working? How far ahead of time should I ask for it? How should I ask for it? After a month on the job I'll probably be able to ask one of my fellow employees but I'm really curious about these things now.

Always take the PTO if it doesn't carry over. This is normal practice. It's not frowned upon to use your PTO days. PTO days are part of your overall compensation, you have earned them as part of your job.

As far as how much advance you need to request PTO, that really depends on your company, group, or boss. You should ask your boss what the normal practices are for requesting time off.

Moiraine- I have to agree with the others, use it all. They would probably think you were strange if you didn't. In 16 years of owning my own business, I've had one employee leave one sick day on the table.....once. Every other single personal day, sick day, vacation day, safety day, you name it has gotten used.

As far as when to put in for time off etc., just ask some coworkers after you start work. The thing I wouldn't do is ask much about PTO from your boss or higher ups the first week or two. That might send the wrong message. Congrats on the job btw.

Use that sh#t! It's there for a reason.

Ask for it in writing no less than 2 weeks ahead of time if possible. And wait at least 90 days before requesting if you can help it. This is an informal policy I have with my employees.

I wouldnt give the same advice about sick days. I get a sh#t ton of sick days, but I never use them. If youre sick, of course use them. But my morality tells me that I should limit my mental health days to very little.

Agree. I don't think I've ever had a job that had "sick days" so I guess I don't know for sure but that sounds right. But definitely use your vacation days. If the culture at the company is to not use them, consider if you are at the right place for life work/balance. As far as notice, it varies, in part depending on how critical you are for coverage. I've had jobs where it was no problem to call or send an email that I was "taking a day". I don't see the problem with asking your boss, if you put it in the perspective of just wanting to know what is expected so you don't create a problem.