Riley Shelf Life

So, Erickson did good at some places and not good at others. What that tells me is that success at one place doesn't guarantee success at another. Not winning championships at one place doesn't mean he can't do it at another.

This is because every situation is different. Gene Chizik was 5-19 at ISU over two years with his second season being 2-10 with an 0-8 record in the conference. He actually got worse his second year there than his first. He jumps ship to Auburn and two years later he wins an NC.

In 4 years at OSU, Les Miles was 28-21 and the best he had done was 3rd in his division. His bowl record was 1-2. He had a .500 record in conference. He jumps ship to LSU and he wins an NC three years later.

The fact remains that there is a difference in programs and what can be done at those programs. There is a difference between situations coaches are in at various programs.

I will trust the decision making of people who know one hell of a lot more than anyone on an internet message board over if he is the right guy for the job since we have nothing to base anything else on other than speculation.

Im not confident a 62 year old coach who hasnt won anything before in College football- will all of a sudden win something or that someone that hasnt consistently won - will consistently win. Especially when an average by most standards coach came right behind him and was able to do so.

You arent looking at the complete resume when it comes to guys like Miles

Great run at Colorado during the MCCarney era

Nice 8 year run at Michigan

OSU was 5–6, 5–6, and 3–8. the 3 seasons before he got there. He upset top 4 OU in year 1, beat a top 3 OU in one of the subsequent years. his only losing season in 4 was year 1

Im guessing if he stayed he would have been consistently successful there- just like he was at the previous stops and LSU- very consistent

Look at Sean Es resume when it comes to hiring head football coaches, He is the one making the decsion- what is his track record there? He doesnt really have one

If MR has consistent success, SE is officially the smartest guy in the room- but he doesnt have a track record to go on either

Or he could have been like Riley after he went 10-4, 9-4, 9-4, 8-5 and started falling off. If Riley bolted for Bama instead of staying at Oregon St, you could possibly be saying the same thing about him that you are saying about Les right now. And saying someone was a successful assistant coach doesn't necessarily translate to him being a successful head coach.

Exactly. I think Riley has been hurt, perception wise, because he stayed at Oregon State for so long. It's tough to get it going and keep it going at a place like that. If he had jumped for a bigger job, like pretty much every other coach in that situation, he'd be seen in a much better light.

You missed the entire point which was slowly and carefully explained

Go back and read my post. Then yours. Then mine.

You may be confused because you're simultaneously arguing with multiple posters who bring up different points. Most of which you ignore, favoring the point of view that no one is actually disputing. As if you invented it.

It's been slowly and carefully explained to you why this is irritating.

I didn't realize Miles was the HC at Colorado and Michigan.

If you want past success. Riley won two grey cups actually as a HC. Bo won an NC as a coordinator. Where did that put him as an HC?

Nick Saben was 34-24-1 with his best year being 2nd in the conference and he never won a bowl game at MSU before he went to LSU and won an NC 4 years later.

Dantonio is 75 -31 at MSU with a lot more hardware to show for it. Saben never got them there but a different coach could. I'm guessing Saben is a pretty good coach.

It is your opinion that a 62 year old coach can't get it done here and you are basing that off of what he did at a school with much less to offer recruits than Nebraska.

You're entitled to that opinion but that doesn't make it fact.

Had SabAn- not Saben stayed, he would have built a dynasty at MSU, just like he did at LSU and Bama- this again?

Ok- Saban never had a losing season at MSU, brought them up to a winner and had a 10 win season in his last year of the 5 year resurrection plan- he did it

MSU was very happy with the turnaround Saban engineered at MSU- he was right where he said he would be in year 5

Im very certain he would have had as good or better success at MSU had he stayed- hes shown he will go down in history as one of the all time great college coaches

Lots of NFL and College guys haven't been able to make what they did in college work in the NFL and Vis Versa- I don't think it matters MUCH different equation

If that does matter then I guess Rileys failure at San Diego counts too.

You're sure certain of a lot of unknown things, but only when they support your pre-established bias. Weird....or not.

Yeah Im sure none of the great football minds of the world would think Nick Saban would have continued his upward and consistent path of success at MSU

Hes only in the top 10 all time of College Coaches- that's crazy talk, no way he does that, longshot at best :confucius

Heck, he couldn't carry Mark Dantonios jock strap Im guessing they would be saying

He got lucky at MSU, LSU and Bama- flash in the pan

No way he does an Urban Meyer and crushes it at every stop

When you consider Oregon State won 52 games total in the 25 years leading up to the Riley hire, he definitely won consistently there.

BTW that has to be up there for worst run in p5 school history. Averaging 2 wins a year for a quarter century is incredible futility.

Yes, they were bad

Some really bad runs by teams like Kansas State and FSU as well- to the point they considered giving up football

Didnt turn out too badly for them

So what you are saying is Riley did a great job because OSU was bad. got it

Well how does it fit in that Dennis Erickson came in 2 years into the Riley tenure and went 31-17?

A record winning % and all time highest ranking #4- as well as 3 of 4 winning seasons

It will be interesting to see how well the next guy does, kind of a barometer for how hard it really is to win in the Pac in Corvallis

I guess it goes to how you define consistently, if you are saying he won consistently

Having a losing record in conference and a winning season just 8 of 14- to me isnt winning consistently- just 1 losing season away from half the time

That wont fly here- not even close

• Fire 1

wasnt it reported they took Riley's successes and invested in the whole athletic department, stopping short of upgrading the football program the way they should, I believe that was mentioned before. If OSU finally buys into their football program after Riley leaves, can you really compare apples to apples? Nah.

I like Riley's track record, I like what he's put together so far, I look forward to the fall and letting him write his own history here.

• Fire 2

I'd like to see Riley stay here for a good while and have him groom a successor.

i see this all the time. when has it ever worked?

The Bobfather and TO?

Bowden and Jimbo?

Shawn Watson and Tim Beck.

:lol:

I didn't realize Miles was the HC at Colorado and Michigan.

If you want past success. Riley won two grey cups actually as a HC. Bo won an NC as a coordinator. Where did that put him as an HC?

Nick Saben was 34-24-1 with his best year being 2nd in the conference and he never won a bowl game at MSU before he went to LSU and won an NC 4 years later.

Dantonio is 75 -31 at MSU with a lot more hardware to show for it. Saben never got them there but a different coach could. I'm guessing Saben is a pretty good coach.

It is your opinion that a 62 year old coach can't get it done here and you are basing that off of what he did at a school with much less to offer recruits than Nebraska.

You're entitled to that opinion but that doesn't make it fact.

Had SabAn- not Saben stayed, he would have built a dynasty at MSU, just like he did at LSU and Bama- this again?

Ok- Saban never had a losing season at MSU, brought them up to a winner and had a 10 win season in his last year of the 5 year resurrection plan- he did it

MSU was very happy with the turnaround Saban engineered at MSU- he was right where he said he would be in year 5

Im very certain he would have had as good or better success at MSU had he stayed- hes shown he will go down in history as one of the all time great college coaches

Lots of NFL and College guys haven't been able to make what they did in college work in the NFL and Vis Versa- I don't think it matters MUCH different equation

If that does matter then I guess Rileys failure at San Diego counts too.

For the love of god, Saban didn't do sh#t at MSU. You really have to be ignorant to continually spew that sh#t out. His record there proves it.

So, Erickson did good at some places and not good at others. What that tells me is that success at one place doesn't guarantee success at another. Not winning championships at one place doesn't mean he can't do it at another.

This is because every situation is different. Gene Chizik was 5-19 at ISU over two years with his second season being 2-10 with an 0-8 record in the conference. He actually got worse his second year there than his first. He jumps ship to Auburn and two years later he wins an NC.

In 4 years at OSU, Les Miles was 28-21 and the best he had done was 3rd in his division. His bowl record was 1-2. He had a .500 record in conference. He jumps ship to LSU and he wins an NC three years later.

The fact remains that there is a difference in programs and what can be done at those programs. There is a difference between situations coaches are in at various programs.

I will trust the decision making of people who know one hell of a lot more than anyone on an internet message board over if he is the right guy for the job since we have nothing to base anything else on other than speculation.

Im not confident a 62 year old coach who hasnt won anything before in College football- will all of a sudden win something or that someone that hasnt consistently won - will consistently win. Especially when an average by most standards coach came right behind him and was able to do so.

OSU was 5–6, 5–6, and 3–8. the 3 seasons before he got there. He upset top 4 OU in year 1, beat a top 3 OU in one of the subsequent years. his only losing season in 4 was year 1

Im guessing if he stayed he would have been consistently successful there- just like he was at the previous stops and LSU- very consistent

Look at Sean Es resume when it comes to hiring head football coaches, He is the one making the decsion- what is his track record there? He doesnt really have one

If MR has consistent success, SE is officially the smartest guy in the room- but he doesnt have a track record to go on either

Or he could have been like Riley after he went 10-4, 9-4, 9-4, 8-5 and started falling off. If Riley bolted for Bama instead of staying at Oregon St, you could possibly be saying the same thing about him that you are saying about Les right now. And saying someone was a successful assistant coach doesn't necessarily translate to him being a successful head coach.

Will give you the assistant thing- even though No one is willing to admit an average coach did a better job at OSU than Riley even though its there in black and white, an inconvenient truth

Not all good assistants make good CEOs- but it doesnt hurt if the team you coached was successful or you had a chance to work for a very good Head Coach

There is no guarantee MIke Riley would have been Bamas savior right?

Bama wiffed on what 3 coaches before they finally hired Saban and he engineered the turnaround and dynasty that "hot" coaches like Shula, Franchione and Dubose couldnt do

Would Mike Riley been one of the 3 or 4 corpses or not? We will never know- his NU tenure might give us a bit of a clue

There is no guarantee that Saban would have built a dynasty at MSU, is there?

• Fire 2

Will give you the assistant thing- even though No one is willing to admit an average coach did a better job at OSU than Riley even though its there in black and white, an inconvenient truth

Not all good assistants make good CEOs- but it doesnt hurt if the team you coached was successful or you had a chance to work for a very good Head Coach

There is no guarantee MIke Riley would have been Bamas savior right?

Bama wiffed on what 3 coaches before they finally hired Saban and he engineered the turnaround and dynasty that "hot" coaches like Shula, Franchione and Dubose couldnt do

Would Mike Riley been one of the 3 or 4 corpses or not? We will never know- his NU tenure might give us a bit of a clue

There is no guarantee that Saban would have built a dynasty at MSU, is there?

Well Riley hasn't ever won anything, won consistently or built a dynasty anywhere

Saban has engineered 3 turnarounds, 3 consistent winners, 2 of those programs winning National Championships

So yeah kind of a track record with one guy Saban, not so much with the other

I don't think anyone would be betting their life savings that Saban wouldn't have taken that program to the top had he decided to stay past the last year of his 5 year plan 10 win season.