Riley Shelf Life

I didn't realize Miles was the HC at Colorado and Michigan.

If you want past success. Riley won two grey cups actually as a HC. Bo won an NC as a coordinator. Where did that put him as an HC?

Nick Saben was 34-24-1 with his best year being 2nd in the conference and he never won a bowl game at MSU before he went to LSU and won an NC 4 years later.

Dantonio is 75 -31 at MSU with a lot more hardware to show for it. Saben never got them there but a different coach could. I'm guessing Saben is a pretty good coach.

It is your opinion that a 62 year old coach can't get it done here and you are basing that off of what he did at a school with much less to offer recruits than Nebraska.

You're entitled to that opinion but that doesn't make it fact.

Had SabAn- not Saben stayed, he would have built a dynasty at MSU, just like he did at LSU and Bama- this again?

Ok- Saban never had a losing season at MSU, brought them up to a winner and had a 10 win season in his last year of the 5 year resurrection plan- he did it

MSU was very happy with the turnaround Saban engineered at MSU- he was right where he said he would be in year 5

Im very certain he would have had as good or better success at MSU had he stayed- hes shown he will go down in history as one of the all time great college coaches

Lots of NFL and College guys haven't been able to make what they did in college work in the NFL and Vis Versa- I don't think it matters MUCH different equation

If that does matter then I guess Rileys failure at San Diego counts too.

For the love of god, Saban didn't do sh#t at MSU. You really have to be ignorant to continually spew that sh#t out. His record there proves it.

Hard to have a real conversation with someone who claims to have a factual based opinion on Saban- when the other person doesn't even know how to spell the mans name

You've done it a lot, the guys name is Nick Saban- not Saben

If you read or follow college football to any level at all- you probably would have gotten that right

If mom doesn't have a cable outlet in the basement at least ride your skateboard over to the closest bar and watch a few games this season

https://www.youtube....h?v=CqwAXk8c2Ew

If you want past success. Riley won two grey cups actually as a HC. Bo won an NC as a coordinator. Where did that put him as an HC?

Nick Saben was 34-24-1 with his best year being 2nd in the conference and he never won a bowl game at MSU before he went to LSU and won an NC 4 years later.

Dantonio is 75 -31 at MSU with a lot more hardware to show for it. Saben never got them there but a different coach could. I'm guessing Saben is a pretty good coach.

It is your opinion that a 62 year old coach can't get it done here and you are basing that off of what he did at a school with much less to offer recruits than Nebraska.

Had SabAn- not Saben stayed, he would have built a dynasty at MSU, just like he did at LSU and Bama- this again?

Ok- Saban never had a losing season at MSU, brought them up to a winner and had a 10 win season in his last year of the 5 year resurrection plan- he did it

MSU was very happy with the turnaround Saban engineered at MSU- he was right where he said he would be in year 5

Im very certain he would have had as good or better success at MSU had he stayed- hes shown he will go down in history as one of the all time great college coaches

Lots of NFL and College guys haven't been able to make what they did in college work in the NFL and Vis Versa- I don't think it matters MUCH different equation

For the love of god, Saban didn't do sh#t at MSU. You really have to be ignorant to continually spew that sh#t out. His record there proves it.

Hard to have a real conversation with someone who claims to have a factual based opinion on Saban- when the other person doesn't even know how to spell the mans name

If you read or follow college football to any level at all- you probably would have gotten that right

If mom doesn't have a cable outlet in the basement at least ride your skateboard over to the closest bar and watch a few games this season.

He did spell it correctly, so your argument is invalid.

My 2 cents

Riley has a lot of work to do. He is currently out recruiting any class he ever had at OSU. He has assembled a superior staff to what he has had at ASU including 2 DCs that are now position coaches for us as well as an AC that picked Riley over Harbaugh. Not to mention one of the hotter names at the WR AC position.

He has done massive overhaul on the PR front and is bringing the family feel back to Lincoln that made many of us fall in love with the Huskers. Has he shown he can reach what our previous regime did? Yes he won 9 and 10 games at an inferior football program. This leads me to believe/hope he will have a program that looks more like

9-3

8-4

11-1

7-5

10-2

9-3

12-0

I would trade something like that over consistent 4 loss seasons. The simple upgrade in facilities and talent will lead to more wins period. He has the 2 highest ranked QBs he has ever had in the same class his first year here.

• Fire 1

If mom doesn't have a cable outlet in the basement at least ride your skateboard over to the closest bar and watch a few games this season.

Great job Mod you are really on top of things

Wrong again- this is what he said in just one post" Dantonio is 75 -31 at MSU with a lot more hardware to show for it. Saben never got them there but a different coach could. I'm guessing Saben is a pretty good coach."

You must have missed all the other times he misspelled it before I corrected him- good job by him finally making the switch though

If you follow politics at all you know how to spell Barack Obama

If you follow software at all you know how to spell Larry Ellison

If you follow college football at all- you don't spell Saban Saben a bunch of times

That's why I was offering the advice on him getting on cable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqwAXk8c2Ew

Wrong again- this is what he said in just one post" Dantonio is 75 -31 at MSU with a lot more hardware to show for it. Saben never got them there but a different coach could. I'm guessing Saben is a pretty good coach."

You must have missed all the other times he misspelled it before I corrected him- good job by him finally making the switch

If you follow college football at all- you don't spell Saban Saben a bunch of times

If you follow college football you

No need for this post man. Considering most people struggled spelling Bo's last name of Pellllini

You're sure certain of a lot of unknown things, but only when they support your pre-established bias. Weird....or not.

Yeah Im sure none of the great football minds of the world would think Nick Saban would have continued his upward and consistent path of success at MSU

Hes only in the top 10 all time of College Coaches- that's crazy talk, no way he does that, longshot at best :confucius

Heck, he couldn't carry Mark Dantonios jock strap Im guessing they would be saying

He got lucky at MSU, LSU and Bama- flash in the pan

No way he does an Urban Meyer and crushes it at every stop

I know several MSU fans who were happy to see Saban go. He had one acceptable year that included a couple of embarrassing losses. There was no "five year plan" as you have argued. He quit because he wanted more money and MSU wouldn't match his offer.

Maybe he would have converted MSU to a champion if he would have stayed, maybe he wouldn't. The point is that we don't know. Almost every head coach who has had success and multiple HC jobs, including Saban, have struggled at one or more stops (the ONE exception being Urban Meyer). And more times then not, the school where they struggle doesn't have the resources to compete, or even just a history of success. And guess what, MSU in the 90s was not invested in its football program. They didn't start sinking resources into the program until the big money started rolling in over the last 10 to 12 years. So comparing the state of the program under Dantonio vs. Saban is comparing apples to oranges.

That's the point most people here are making. Those in the business of college football think a lot of Riley (Alabama offered him Saban's job and USC courted him for HC too). The fact that he didn't thrive at Oregon St. isn't exactly determinative of his success at a program that is at the top of the heap in terms of resources and history. If you can't see that, then you don't know nearly as much about college football as you profess to know. If you won't admit it, then that's a different issue.

The resources, etc., don't guarantee success, obviously, but to imply that it is just as easy to win at Oregon St. as Nebraska doesn't make much sense.

• Fire 2

And a big reason Saban left, was because he didn't think he could build a dynasty at MSU because of the state of the program.

"At Michigan State, we were never No. 1," Saban said. "That was always Michigan. It was always U-M this or that.

"If I'd gone to Ohio it would have been Ohio State. Indiana, it is Purdue. Chicago, it's every other school in the Big Ten. Wherever you go you're looking at someone else when you're recruiting, trying to catch up, trying to convince someone you're up there." Link
So you use Saban as proof of your argument, but Saban's own words refute that very argument. He felt like he'd never be able to get out of the shadow of Michigan to compete so he had to go somewhere else to be a real competitor and that's what he did. Why can't you accept that as a possibility under the current circumstances?
  • Fire 4

Yes, it does prove he did a great job- significant improvement, never a losing season, 10 wins in the last year of his 5 year plan and doubling his salary to go to LSU- very nice run up to his 4 National Championships

You must have missed all the other times he misspelled it before I corrected him- good job by him finally making the switch though

That's why I was offering the advice on him getting on cable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqwAXk8c2Ew

Actually.... you're talking about 2 different posters, BRB and Stumpy1.

If you're going to be condescending to everyone, at least get your facts right. That said, I suggest you cool it with the know it all routine. Your act is wearing extremely thin.

• Fire 1

You must have missed all the other times he misspelled it before I corrected him- good job by him finally making the switch

No need for this post man. Considering most people struggled spelling Bo's last name of Pellllini

Well I would have to disagree with that

If someone wants to debate a subject and claims to have a bunch of knowledge about it- one would think they would be able to SPELL the subject being discussed

Goes to credibility

I can see why guys like Harbaugh has a tough time suffering fools like Cowherd who know all the buzz words but not much under the surface

If the guy needs help getting $$ for cable, heck lets do a fundraiser or someone offer to hire him to clean their pool or something like that

If someone wants to debate a subject and claims to have a bunch of knowledge about it- one would think they would be able to SPELL the subject being discussed

Goes to credibility

I can see why guys like Harbaugh has a tough time suffering fools like Cowherd who know all the buzz words but not much under the surface

If the guy needs help getting $$ for cable, heck lets do a fundraiser or someone offer to hire him to clean their pool or something like that

What about punctuation? Is credibility diminished due to poor punctuation?

:lol:

• Fire 9

Goes to credibility

What about punctuation? Is credibility diminished due to poor punctuation?

:lol:

why would anyone care about punctuation

but if you cant spell Saban right you are a certified idiot

Saban doesn't write with correct punctuation

He has a 5 year plan to get periods eliminated from written language

• Fire 1