Recreate the B1G

If you had the power to recreate the B1G, how would you do it? This is just for fun. I completely understand this would never happen. Just killing time until September.

Here is my ideal B1G Conference

WEST

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern Sorry Wildcats. I know we've had a fun history, but there is no benefit to beating you in anything.

Purdue Probably the least interesting team in the conference. I just don't care about the Boilermakers at all.

Wisconsin

EAST

Indiana

Maryland I have no problems with the Terps. I love that they didn't shake hands with Penn State last year, but they belong in the ACC.

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Rutgers Like Maryland, I have nothing bad to say about Rutgers. I think they are a unique program, but they were only brought in because of NYC.

WEST ADDITIONS

Kansas - Basketball, obviously. Plus I kind of miss the Jayhawks.

Missouri - Rivals with KU, NEB, and also Illinois. AAU status. They also fit better geographically than the SEC East.

Oklahoma - I think this would make most Husker fans content with being away from the powers in the East.

EAST ADDITIONS

Notre Dame - I know it would never happen, but they are rivals with pretty much everyone in the East. It just makes so much sense.

Pittsburgh - The Panthers were once a proud program. A team in a big, sports crazed city with plenty of potential for rivalries. Pitt just seems like a natural fit.

West Virginia - Kind of a stretch, but I think the Mountaineers also make sense. No pro teams in WV, so you get a devoted fanbase. No good? Just move Purdue over.

WEST 2.0

Illinois

Iowa

Kansas

Minnesota

Missouri

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Wisconsin

EAST 2.0

Indiana

Michigan

Michigan State

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Penn State

Pittsburgh

West Virginia

Again, I'm not looking for reasons why my changes would never happen. I'm just curious to what you guys think would be the best conference for Nebraska.

It's the offseason after all..

• Fire 2

Going different route. Expansion to 20 teams, which is not off the table according to some reports. Then do like soccer where you have two divisions and you can change divisions based on performance.

Adds: KU, UVA, UNC, Clemson, GT, FSU (is this totally unrealistic? also keep contiguous footprint)

B1G Major (W-L avg or some other meaningful metric)

OSU

FSU

Clemson

Mich State

Wisconsin

GT

Nebraska

Mich

Penn State

UNC

B10 Minor

UVA

Minn

Illinois

NW

Indiana

Purdue

Iowa

Rutgers

Maryland

KU

Play all 9 other teams in your division. 3 non-conf games.

CCG - top 2 teams according to Selection committee play.

Bottom 2 teams from Major move down the following year and top 2 from minor move up.

Play 4 from your Pod every year, and 5 from another Pod that rotates every year.

Pod 1:

NU

OU

Texas

Kansas

Iowa

Pod 2:

Minn

Wiscy

NW

Illini

Mizzou

Pod 3:

Mich

Mich St.

OSU

Purdue

Indiana

Pod4:

PSU

Maryland

UVA

ND

GT

Maybe swap Mizzou and Iowa.

This would suck for basketball...play every team once I guess.

I dont like the idea of having 20 teams--seems too cluttered and doesnt allow for rivalries to grow.

As much as i would love to add teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Missouri you also have to look at it being too competitive.

I like the idea of 16(which is still a lot). You have 4 pods and then you play your 3 teams in your pod every year and another pod(every year you switch a pod. That would give you 7 conference games. I think you could have a cross over rivalry game or two depending if you want 8 or 9 conference games.

Pod 1

Nebraska

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Iowa

Pod 2

Oklahoma

Okie Lite

Kansas

Kansas State

Pod 3

Michigan

Michigan State

Illinois

Northwestern

Pod 4

Ohio State

Purdue

Penn State

Indiana

Teams kicked out: Maryland, Rutgers.

Teams added: Oklahoma, Okie state, KU, KSU

I am only thinking Football for the pods, and maybe run a different system for other sports.

16 -team version. Certainly like playing every team every two years.

Indiana and Purdue can play a non-conference game every other year.

Pod 1:

NU

OU

NW

Illini

Pod 2:

Minn

Wiscy

Iowa

Purdue

Pod 3:

Mich

Mich St.

OSU

Indiana

Pod4:

PSU

Maryland

UVA

ND

• 2 weeks later...

Is this post for real? With all due respect - until we start kicking teeth in the teeth of the established acts in the conference, we shouldn't be worrying about conference affiliations.

Settle down.

It is July and people are bored.. lets have hypothetical fun while we still can.

The new alternates come out in 5 days, save your anger for that day.

Is this post for real? With all due respect - until we start kicking teeth in the teeth of the established acts in the conference, we shouldn't be worrying about conference affiliations.

Settle down.

It is July and people are bored.. lets have hypothetical fun while we still can.

The new alternates come out in 5 days, save your anger for that day.

Maaaan.....with a new coaching staff, loss of a Heisman Trophy candidate at running back....

v9AXz5.gif

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP

The New B1G (Sorry Northwestern)

WEST

Kansas

Missouri

Nebraska

Oklahoma

NORTH

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

CENTRAL

Indiana

Michigan State

Notre Dame

Purdue

EAST

Michigan

Ohio State

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Everyone plays a 9 game conference schedule

- 3 divisional games at the end of the year

- 6 games from the other divisions (2 + 2 + 2)

- Each school would receive the opportunity to play every other team in the conference at least twice, over a 4 year span.

Season Finales

- Kansas / Missouri

- Nebraska / Oklahoma

- Illinois / Iowa

- Minnesota / Wisconsin

- Indiana / Purdue

- Michigan State / Notre Dame

- Michigan / Ohio State

- Penn State / Pittsburgh

B1G Championship

- Game 1: WEST vs NORTH

- Game 2: CENTRAL vs EAST

- Championship Game

In conclusion, however unrealistic this may be, I believe it would be ideal for the conference's competitiveness and overall balance of power.

The WEST is a much welcomed Big 8 reunion that, I believe, would make fans of all teams involved happy.

The NORTH is perhaps the weakest in terms of prestige, but they are all traditional B1G schools with similar styles.

The CENTRAL is the most uneven of the divisions. Indiana and Purdue are perennial cellar dwellers. Notre Dame is major and Michigan State is on the rise.

The EAST is the powerhouse division. The two premiere B1G programs, Michigan and Ohio State, alongside old rivals Penn State and Pittsburgh.

Rivalries would be renewed. Balance to the conference would be restored. Divisions that make sense geographically.

What do you guys think?

BUMP

The New B1G (Sorry Northwestern)[/size]

WEST

Kansas

Missouri

Nebraska

Oklahoma

NORTH

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

CENTRAL

Indiana

Michigan State

Notre Dame

Purdue

EAST

Michigan

Ohio State

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Everyone plays a 9 game conference schedule

- 3 divisional games at the end of the year

- 6 games from the other divisions (2 + 2 + 2)

- Each school would receive the opportunity to play every other team in the conference at least twice, over a 4 year span.

Season Finales

- Kansas / Missouri

- Nebraska / Oklahoma

- Illinois / Iowa

- Minnesota / Wisconsin

- Indiana / Purdue

- Michigan State / Notre Dame

- Michigan / Ohio State

- Penn State / Pittsburgh

B1G Championship

- Game 1: WEST vs NORTH

- Game 2: CENTRAL vs EAST

- Championship Game

In conclusion, however unrealistic this may be, I believe it would be ideal for the conference's competitiveness and overall balance of power.

The WEST is a much welcomed Big 8 reunion that, I believe, would make fans of all teams involved happy.

The NORTH is perhaps the weakest in terms of prestige, but they are all traditional B1G schools with similar styles.

The CENTRAL is the most uneven of the divisions. Indiana and Purdue are perennial cellar dwellers. Notre Dame is major and Michigan State is on the rise.

The EAST is the powerhouse division. The two premiere B1G programs, Michigan and Ohio State, alongside old rivals Penn State and Pittsburgh.

Rivalries would be renewed. Balance to the conference would be restored. Divisions that make sense geographically.

What do you guys think? swap KU for K ST and I like it. purely for football.