Banker comments on when are the Blackshirts being handed out.

With fall practice still to come, I would ASSume no later than the week prior. I wouldn't mind a little earlier to let guys get some swagger and cockiness heading into the season. I also think this is the way it should be. The starters, plus the guys who start in different packages get them. They don't lose them for a loss or bad game and by the end of the season there are also not 23 guys with them. This was the way it started and the way it should be.

With fall practice still to come, I would ASSume no later than the week prior. I wouldn't mind a little earlier to let guys get some swagger and cockiness heading into the season. I also think this is the way it should be. The starters, plus the guys who start in different packages get them. They don't lose them for a loss or bad game and by the end of the season there are also not 23 guys with them. This was the way it started and the way it should be.

Did... did ya read the post?

;)

He's handing them out before BYU.

Did... did ya read the post?

;)

He's handing them out before BYU.

Reading is so outdated these days.

As much as the Blackshirt tradition was destroyed or diminished by Bo simply by changing the way they were distributed, I think we've lost that old feeling on the Blackshirt tradition mostly because of the lack of aggression in the scheme and in a lot of the players.

The thirst for violence has not been a reigning force in a lot of players here in recent memory.

Suh was a physical freak and an aggressive beast by nature but that scheme did not bring out the ferocity in a whole lot of players here lately.

I'm hoping that simply by playing in an aggressive, attacking scheme similar to those defenses of McBride's days, that will bring out the nature of the beast that is the Blackshirt.

• Fire 1

As much as the Blackshirt tradition was destroyed or diminished by Bo simply by changing the way they were distributed, I think we've lost that old feeling on the Blackshirt tradition mostly because of the lack of aggression in the scheme and in a lot of the players.

The thirst for violence has not been a reigning force in a lot of players here in recent memory.

Suh was a physical freak and an aggressive beast by nature but that scheme did not bring out the ferocity in a whole lot of players here lately.

I'm hoping that simply by playing in an aggressive, attacking scheme similar to those defenses of McBride's days, that will bring out the nature of the beast that is the Blackshirt.

I want to see excitement and arrogance. "I'm not letting you past me. You will have to go right through me."

Could add, couldn't tackle worth a damn.

GBR!!!

The problem I always had with the Blackshirts under Pelini was less about when he handed them out, but, more his viewpoint on them. He treated them as some sort of reverent item, as if the shirt meant the player, instead of the player meaning the shirt. The Blackshirt itself doesn't make you a starter or a great defender - the player makes himself a starter or great defender imho. And then, to recognize his achievement, he is given the Blackshirt.

He's going to have bad games. He's going to have plays where he didn't play up to the Blackshirt level. But, that's sports. The Blackshirt should never have been held over the heads as if they're a cat trying desperately to reach the feather on the end of a cat toy that's hanging just out of reach. I've always felt you should just hand them out and be done with them.

Definitely. One of the reasons I am most excited about this year and the future. I don't think we'll be great this year but I am hoping for a much more aggressive defense. Swarming to the ball and playing with some attitude.

Guys were seemingly too worried about "fits" and played on their heels in recent years under Bo. Playing that way took the crowd out of the game also imo.

• Fire 1

Definitely. One of the reasons I am most excited about this year and the future. I don't think we'll be great this year but I am hoping for a much more aggressive defense. Swarming to the ball and playing with some attitude.

Guys were seemingly too worried about "fits" and played on their heels in recent years under Bo. Playing that way took the crowd out of the game also imo.

Absolutely it took the crowd out of the game. The risk vs. reward factor is huge when you play aggressive defense, but that aspect in itself keeps the crowd interested. You go into a game knowing your defense may give up the "big one" here or there, but you know they're going to crush some skulls, stack up the TFL's, sack the QB, and ball hawk some INT's in the process.

It's gonna be fun to watch some of these players we've got on the roster and how they perform in this new style. I think we've got quite a few players who are primed and ready to let it go and have some fun, maybe take some frustrations out on Stave's ass this year. Gerry, Rose, Banderas, Jackson, Collins, Davie, Valentine, Gangwish, and Newby are ready to seriously unleash on somebody. Those guys are beasts.

• Fire 1

The problem I always had with the Blackshirts under Pelini was less about when he handed them out, but, more his viewpoint on them. He treated them as some sort of reverent item, as if the shirt meant the player, instead of the player meaning the shirt. The Blackshirt itself doesn't make you a starter or a great defender - the player makes himself a starter or great defender imho. And then, to recognize his achievement, he is given the Blackshirt.

He's going to have bad games. He's going to have plays where he didn't play up to the Blackshirt level. But, that's sports. The Blackshirt should never have been held over the heads as if they're a cat trying desperately to reach the feather on the end of a cat toy that's hanging just out of reach. I've always felt you should just hand them out and be done with them.

The problem with Bo was that he really didn't give a sh#t about the tradition so he never tried understanding it.

• Fire 1