Huskers.com Feature on Husker Power

ZHRQUUUMDNMBIQW.20150702170358.jpg

Philipp (wearing red above) is a former USC and Oregon State football strength coach who marvels at the speed Nebraska moves when it comes to solving a problem.“Nebraska wants to be on the cutting edge of training,” he said. “Every program in the country is looking for new ways to maximize performance and output. The weight room design and equipment helps enhance training. To get the most out of training, we felt our weight room setup limited our ability to maximize training time.”

The objectives to improve the facility ranged from a lack of efficiency for workout times to wearing lifting shoes. Components considered in the weight room’s new layout included accommodating a larger number of athletes per group and the time and space required to enhance performance and reduce the risk of injury.

The layout allows Philipp, plus associate football strength coach Tim Rabas (far left) and Husker assistant strength coaches Willie Jones, Andrew Ervin and Jamie Belt to help redesign and implement a program that accommodates each individual athlete with the most beneficial exercises in an efficient time frame.

Make no mistake. Those five strength coaches spend more face-to-face time with Nebraska football student-athletes year-round than anyone else. “We have to be the guys that bring the energy into this complex every day,” Philipp said. “If we’re dead, they’re dead. If we’re energetic and work hard, they’re energetic and work hard."

Link

“I really feel that you’re a failure as a coach if you can’t teach and can’t demonstrate,” he said. “Coaches can go two ways. You can come in and swing the hammer and say ‘this is the way I want it done!’ My approach is different. I’m here to show you the right way and to help you learn what you need to learn.

I totally agree.

I preach it here all the time and I know it was an issue with the last staff. It doesn't matter what you know, how much more you know than everybody else, or how genius your mind is when it comes to X's and O's, if you can't teach it to others (the players) then who gives a sh#t what you know. Ideas and "brilliant schemes or plans" are only brilliant if you can demonstrate them as executable. If it can't be taught or executed, what the hell does it matter how "brilliant" you think it is. We had plenty of "mad scientists" on the last staff. Guys who were too bought into thier own way, instead of buying into what their team could execute.

• 2 weeks later...

S&C will be our biggest improvement as a team come this fall. It will definitely show come game time.

I hope you are right. With the grind of school and practices, lifting may not be something the players look forward to. I think their enthusiasm is important to motivate the players.

Make no mistake. Those five strength coaches spend more face-to-face time with Nebraska football student-athletes year-round than anyone else. “We have to be the guys that bring the energy into this complex every day,” Philipp said. “If we’re dead, they’re dead. If we’re energetic and work hard, they’re energetic and work hard."

Can't keep praising these guys enough. You bring in a young enthusiated S&C coach and just happen to have the man who invented it as well as one of his assistance for over 2 decades to help steer the ship. We will have a locker room full of guys that will be as physically developed as possible.