Beer Sales at PBA?

Should beer be tapped to help Pinnacle Bank Arena cover its operations budget?

The question of serving beer at Nebraska basketball games has come around again as a consulting firm studies fiscal figures.
Mayor Chris Beutler says the study, which will be finished in late August, will look at the financial impact of allowing beer sales at university events.
The current contract between the city and University of Nebraska regents precludes selling booze in the arena at Husker games.
But contracts can be changed.
At some point, Nebraska athletics may want to boost attendance at basketball games. And it’s not like the NU Regents consistently ban booze at athletic events. It's sold at Omaha basketball and hockey games.

LJS

However the line about boosting attendance is weird. Haven't we sold out tickets to the last two basketball seasons?

I thought that was odd as well. They could be expecting a decrease in men's attendance after a poor year last year, though I would think it would take at least one more sub-par year for that. Or hoping to increase attendance at women's games. :dunno

However the line about boosting attendance is weird. Haven't we sold out tickets to the last two basketball seasons?

I thought that was odd as well. They could be expecting a decrease in men's attendance after a poor year last year, though I would think it would take at least one more sub-par year for that. Or hoping to increase attendance at women's games. :dunno

In year 1, the PBA had a great attendance because it was brand new. In year 2, it was due to high expectations of the team. Beyond this year, the "newness" of the arena will wear off. So if the team's performance drops, the attendance will decline. Beer sales would be a good way to add revenue and boost attendance.

• 2 weeks later...

Eichorst has said he's against alcohol being sold at Husker basketball games in Pinnacle Bank Arena. But I'm told by multiple sources that behind-the-scenes discussions among key city and University of Nebraska officials regarding the topic has gotten serious quickly. In fact, such sales could occur as soon as the coming season.

I'm interested in your feedback. Tom Osborne is probably interested, too.
Pass the popcorn, please.

Link

Even if they sell out, there might not be asses in the seats because of no-shows. Also, when they are at the game, you want them spending cash.

Beer will be sold there and at Memorial once we are far enough away removed from one super crazy conservative person.

Because someones opinion differs from yours, a large minority or even a majority of a population, it makes them super crazy? Can it not be that two people's opinions differ and leave it at that?

Another JPA member, University of Nebraska Regent Tim Clare of Lincoln, said there’s a “lot of moving parts” to be considered before making such a move. Clare added that the regents also need to talk about whether the university system needs “consistency” in its policy governing alcohol at sporting events, such as allowing drinking at UNO sports events but not at UNL or the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

“If one school has it and another doesn’t, why is that?” he asked.
The NU regents’ current contract with the City of Lincoln, which operates Pinnacle Bank Arena and its concessions, does not allow alcohol sales, so the final decision likely rests with the regents.
The regents approved the alcohol sales at Baxter Arena — a first for an on-campus venue in the NU system.
There’s no doubt that alcohol has been smuggled into football games at Memorial Stadium, even into the luxury suites. But it’s never been sold there, or at the Devaney Center, the former host of Husker basketball games and now the home of Husker volleyball.
Despite the recent interest, David Witty, UNL’s senior associate athletic director for marketing and communications, said there has been no change in the department’s long-held opposition to mixing drinks and sports.

OWH

I think there will be a lot of public objection, but behind the scene, there will be enough pressure that it will happen. I don't have an opinion either way because I don't drink beer, but the first time some jackass spills one on me, I likely will be more than pissed. From time to time, there were a lot of empty seats in the arena and this might help keep them filled.

Even if they sell out, there might not be asses in the seats because of no-shows. Also, when they are at the game, you want them spending cash.

Beer will be sold there and at Memorial once we are far enough away removed from one super crazy conservative person.

Because someones opinion differs from yours, a large minority or even a majority of a population, it makes them super crazy? Can it not be that two people's opinions differ and leave it at that?

Depends on the topic and yes.

Another JPA member, University of Nebraska Regent Tim Clare of Lincoln, said there’s a “lot of moving parts” to be considered before making such a move. Clare added that the regents also need to talk about whether the university system needs “consistency” in its policy governing alcohol at sporting events, such as allowing drinking at UNO sports events but not at UNL or the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

“If one school has it and another doesn’t, why is that?” he asked.

The NU regents’ current contract with the City of Lincoln, which operates Pinnacle Bank Arena and its concessions, does not allow alcohol sales, so the final decision likely rests with the regents.

The regents approved the alcohol sales at Baxter Arena — a first for an on-campus venue in the NU system.

There’s no doubt that alcohol has been smuggled into football games at Memorial Stadium, even into the luxury suites. But it’s never been sold there, or at the Devaney Center, the former host of Husker basketball games and now the home of Husker volleyball.

Despite the recent interest, David Witty, UNL’s senior associate athletic director for marketing and communications, said there has been no change in the department’s long-held opposition to mixing drinks and sports.

OWH

It is getting close!

Really don't understand the hardcore opposition to alcohol sales in the arena by the University. It's owned by the city. They really don't have much of a say. Creighton does it and it works great. UNO is doing it now and it works great. Many schools across the country and beginning to adopt alcohol sales. It's no different than ordering a drink at Applebee's or TGI Friday's if they are concerned about keeping a "family friendly" environment