* The Official Thread for the X's and O's of Football. *

Its crazy how much penetration they actually allow. You gotta give a ton of credit to the QB in those option offenses. They have to make decisions very quickly. Reading that end has to be almost pure reflex.

I know. It's impressive to watch! I've toyed with possibly running it when I have my own HS program, but in a smaller Nebraska school it would be tough to find a kid to have those natural instincts. Coach'em hard I guess.

Flexbone is a thing of beauty. I feel like if someone doesn't like the flexbone, then they don't know football. Haha!

• Fire 1

Nebraska - (Sweep?)

YsGhfk.gif

True, or anyone else, what do you make of this? Pulling 3 linemen? I don't see why they are pulling the backside guard. PS guard and tackle I understand.

Help me out here.

Do a lot of other teams do it that way? I'm gonna look into that a bit more.

This is a great example of exactly what I talked about with our offensive line. Was it talent or was it what they were being asked to do.

On this play though, it's actually a pretty good concept and USC appears to be in a dime package. Their LB'er sets back and reads the play and doesn't attack.. Problem on this play is that 84 has THE KEY block on the play.

Remember how we talked about Ohio St. H-Back being able to take on the DL and own him. Well 84 for Nebraska gets his ass blown up and completely closes the gap the play was designed for. If 84 seals that block, it's 6 points.

Instead, Ameer has to cut back and take it outside that blitzing CB.

The way it looks, it appears 74 is supposed to be able to round that corner and cut inside that CB as well, heading downfield as another lead blocker for Abdullah.

I agree, pulling 74 seems pretty questionable and a lot to ask. He was released freely and could've headed straight down the field to make a block.

Still even with pulling74, problem is, 66 is pushed straight backward, bull rushed and purely over powered straight backward into the play. Between 84 and 66 getting blown up, it's Ameeracle this play went anywhere.

78 doesn't get inside leverage and seal the DE outside. Sure, the DE didn't make the play but some DE's would. 78 releases far too quickly and he has to, or he would have held. He needed to step up and inside to his left, seal that DE outside. His footwork looks bad and he never takes that step with his left to get out in front of it. Of course Ameer should be long gone by then so not a key block. IMO.

Alex Lewis does a freaking brilliant job on that play.

You can see 68 looks like he heads through the gap where ideally the play should have went. 68 heads downfield and makes his block. Also a good job.

So the concept is there, might be asking a little too much, especially looking at how overmatched 84 is on that play. Maybe poor design, but if the guys do even a little bit better it's a lot bigger play.

You can find a lot of examples like this one. Ameer made a lot happen on his own and regardless of what anybody says on this site, the offensive line is a big concern and has been for quite some time. Very poor execution and overpowered by every top tier opponent we faced. Sorry, but that's how it was.

Also, does Westerkamp think it's a pass play?

• Fire 2

This is a great example of exactly what I talked about with our offensive line. Was it talent or was it what they were being asked to do.

I agree with most of your post. I'd just point out, though, that this was a pretty make-sift line for this game. Lewis and Cotton on the left side seemed to do fairly well on this play. Lewis is pretty deep but that's a tough reach block. Sam Cotton (TE) is the one who almost screws everything up. Utter in the middle gets pushed back pretty bad and that messes up the backside pull.

I agree with most of your post. I'd just point out, though, that this was a pretty make-sift line for this game. Lewis and Cotton on the left side seemed to do fairly well on this play. Lewis is pretty deep but that's a tough reach block. Sam Cotton (TE) is the one who almost screws everything up. Utter in the middle gets pushed back pretty bad and that messes up the backside pull.

Yeah and I was gonna add, USC had a hell of a defensive line there. Very solid group. It's a tough task to move those guys, no doubt.

I don't like hating on the big boys too bad, I really don't. They'd probably tear my head off if I told them how poorly I thought they've played recently. I just hope they hit the weights a little harder, get coached up a little bit especially in the technical aspect and footwork side of things, and admit to themselves that they can be much better. This program holds some high standards when it comes to the Pipeline. I want these guys to be a part of that tradition.

Here is what I found, LOMS. Just looked at the Missouri game because of Helu's hay day.

This first one is a "Wham" play with the H-Back, similar to the OSU one at the top of the thread. Except NU is Whamming the End rather the inside Nose Guard

qCDSMP.gif

Here is what you are referring to LOMS, basically the same play Oregon ran, just out of the pistol. NU is running this out of an Unbalanced look though, Oregon did not. Same guys pulling.

YamQKL.gif

• Fire 2

Look at the blocking on those plays! Nice! Bad play by that Missouri DB in that second play you showed, but Helu is so damn fast it didn't matter. HE GONE!

PowerT I'd like to get an idea of how you make those GIF images and what you're using to make them so I can help you out and throw some on here too. I could look at this stuff all day. +1 to you.

Look at the blocking on those plays! Nice! Bad play by that Missouri DB in that second play you showed, but Helu is so damn fast it didn't matter. HE GONE!

PowerT I'd like to get an idea of how you make those GIF images and what you're using to make them so I can help you out and throw some on here too. I could look at this stuff all day. +1 to you.

If you upload video files to this site it converts them to GIF. On Mac it's super easy to create quick video clips using Quicktime.

http://giphy.com/upload

If you upload video files to this site it converts them to GIF. On Mac it's super easy to create quick video clips using Quicktime.

http://giphy.com/upload

what do you use too trim down video files to a short gif?

I have that Windows Live Movie Maker. Do you use something else or something better? (Nevermind that, I don't think that will even do it)

I am trying Jiffy, the app for Google Chrome right now. let me know if you use something else better. I made one with the Gifyoutube website, but when I tried to post it here, it said they don't allow that extension on this site. ??