To meet NCAA requirements

I'm looking at a local High School course catalog and there is a section that talks about D1 requirements for the NCAA. It says there are 16 core courses needed. It says 4 years of additional courses. That means 4 years of foreign language. That's crazy. I don't know any non athlete that took that many foreign language classes let alone athletes.

I think you are looking at it wrong. Here is a link that I found on the interweb.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2011-12_Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf

The last section of 4 years of additional courses could be from: any area above (English, Math, Natural Science, English/Math, Social Science), foreign language, or religion/philosophy.

I read that it doesn't need to be any foreign language. He just has to pass an additional 4 years of the above subjects. It could be 1 year of math, 1 more of science, 2 years of social sciences.

The way I see entrance requirements from the NCAA, you have to be pretty dumb not to be eligible.

I'm looking at a local High School course catalog and there is a section that talks about D1 requirements for the NCAA. It says there are 16 core courses needed. It says 4 years of additional courses. That means 4 years of foreign language. That's crazy. I don't know any non athlete that took that many foreign language classes let alone athletes.

Most high school kids take 4 years of foreign language. It makes it so you don't have to take any in college. That's how it is in Nebraska, anyhow. I learned the hard way by only taking 3.

Most high school kids take 4 years of foreign language. It makes it so you don't have to take any in college. That's how it is in Nebraska, anyhow. I learned the hard way by only taking 3.

Exactly. 4 years of HS foreign language made me not have to take a class at UNL (I was in CBA), which by all accounts sucks.

You obviously don't go to my kids school then. They all have four years of Spanish.

Which...BTW....is totally worthless.

Try working construction. You will see how useful these things are.

sí.

Is four years of foreign language the same as four semesters? I only took foreign language junior/senior year of high school and that was sufficient enough to bypass any college foreign language courses.

4-years would be 8 semesters.

College foreign language courses would depend on the individual college and major that you choose.

The OP was way off thinking that their child would need to complete 4 years of foreign language to be eligible under NCAA requirements.

Is four years of foreign language the same as four semesters? I only took foreign language junior/senior year of high school and that was sufficient enough to bypass any college foreign language courses.

Depends on the high school's schedule. If they have 8-9 classes a day for 40-50 minutes each, one year is the whole school year. If they have a block schedule (4 classes for 90 minutes each) one semester counts as one year.

Depends on the high school's schedule. If they have 8-9 classes a day for 40-50 minutes each, one year is the whole school year. If they have a block schedule (4 classes for 90 minutes each) one semester counts as one year.
We had 54 minute classes 5 days a week. Just took my two to graduate HS, no major at my university required more foreign language, unless you were getting some degree in it.