Shatel: Excelling at basics is job one for '15

zoogs

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/shatel-excelling-at-basics-is-job-one-for-nebraska-in/article_431a3b55-b97b-5303-85ae-4162c4999043.html

If you want more, expect more. After last seasons overtime win at Iowa, a Nebraska assistant former assistant now walked by some Nebraska media types on the way to the locker room and shouted, Nine wins, baby!

Mission accomplished?

Time to change the mission.

Its time to get back to Nebraska football.

I love it. That moment in the first paragraph here is the moment I lost all hope with the last staff.

• Fire 2

What’s the Huskers’ record? I don’t know. And, frankly, don’t care.

It’s time for Nebraska football to get back to basics.

It’s time for Nebraska football to get back to Nebraska football.

Fundamentals. Efficiency. Consistency.

For me, the ability to turn the Huskers back into a confident and dependable football machine will define Mike Riley’s first season on 10th Street.

#Boom

This is a great article by Shatel and guys I'm telling you, if you haven't listened to that interview attached to the article, check it out. I can't tell you how enthused I am that we have Coach Riley here at Nebraska right now. Just listening to the guy lay it out and explain the thought process going forward. He does a great job of making sense of it all for the common fan like myself.

I think we are in for some really good football down the road here. Man I can't wait too see it.

"It's not so much pass patterns and how fancy it is, it's does it make sense to the quarterback and can he see it and get the ball too the right guy fast, so that's what you have to teach quarterbacks". - Mike Riley

• Fire 5

Let's keep repeating record doesn't matter until it's believable to someone.........

I'm someone. I believe. So I guess we're getting somewhere already.

How anyone can listen to this guy and not believe this program is in good hands is beyond me. Great article by Shatel. He's spot on about what this team needs and noe its time to put it on the field. I have no doubt we will see this team begin to play real football again.

• Fire 3

Let's keep repeating record doesn't matter until it's believable to someone.........

How anyone can listen to this guy and not believe this program is in good hands is beyond me. Great article by Shatel. He's spot on about what this team needs and noe its time to put it on the field. I have no doubt we will see this team begin to play real football again.

I liked the article a lot. I also love the video and I am super pumped. But I think TheSker has a point. There kind of has been this soft undertone of how the record doesn't matter and/or losses are okay if they are good games.

I just can't buy into that. NU went and hired a head coach with 30 plus years of experience to avoid just that type of thinking. Yet, I have seen it creep up a few times.

• Fire 2

I liked the article a lot. I also love the video and I am super pumped. But I think TheSker has a point. There kind of has been this soft undertone of how the record doesn't matter and/or losses are okay if they are good games.

I just can't buy into that. NU went and hired a head coach with 30 plus years of experience to avoid just that type of thinking. Yet, I have seen it creep up a few times.

My point exactly teachercd.......our record will matter, and it will matter quickly. I hope the blowouts stop immediately.....but to say our record doesn't matter is flat out incorrect.

Undertone? Just like the undertone of the 7 wins thing that almost nobody said.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Not only does the win/loss record matter, but it will be all that matters to about 75% of this fan base by the end of the season.

It won't matter how good we look, how much improved we are and how many of the reoccurring issues have been cleaned up. Most will look at Riley's win/loss record in his first year at Nebraska and see it as an indication of the level of coach he is. And that's a damn shame if it doesn't hit that 9-11 win mark that most of you have set as your "expectation" for the new staff and team.

Nobody is giving the staff a free pass like you and a few others keep saying.

I've seen one guy use the word leeway, but I think most of that was based on the fact that its a new staff in their first year with a new team, in a new conference they're not familiar with.

Not even one game in and so many people have all these expectations. Entitled bunch of brats. Let the guy coach maybe one game, or let's see how the team looks halfway through the year. Does it look like they're coming together, having fun and playing good football? I'll be happy because I know with all those things, the wins eventually take care of themselves.

My point exactly teachercd.......our record will matter, and it will matter quickly. I hope the blowouts stop immediately.....but to say our record doesn't matter is flat out incorrect.

Find me the quote TheSker. Find the quote of someone saying the "win loss record doesn't matter" that way we can take that quote to the shed and roast that mother like a marshmallow on a nuclear explosion. I think people have worn out on roasting you, so please, let's me and you be buddies and roast this sucker together.

I'll be waiting for that quote and thinking of some great things to burn this bum up with.

Shatel is talking about the quality of play. If Nebraska gets back to playing quality football, executing at a high level, then the wins will follow. Hitting a certain win total, like say 9, and celebrating about it should not be the mindset of the staff or fans.

It's about striving for excellence and that starts with basic execution.

Find me the quote TheSker. Find the quote of someone saying the "win loss record doesn't matter" that way we can take that quote to the shed and roast that mother like a marshmallow on a nuclear explosion. I think people have worn out on roasting you, so please, let's me and you be buddies and roast this sucker together.

I'll be waiting for that quote and thinking of some great things to burn this bum up with.

Well.....looks like if you just scroll up you find a scribe saying "And, frankly, don't care".

And while I admit I'm not going to take time to look them up, references have been made to a "transition" year.

I'm totally ok if anyone is "worn out" on roasting me. Evidently not you......thanks for the response.