Camping Out: Offensive Line

Ryne Reeves feels as healthy as he can be. Given the injuries he’s had — shoulders, knees — that’s more than good enough to compete for the starting center job.

The senior from Crete — who will compete against junior Paul Thurston and perhaps junior Dylan Utter, if he slides over from guard — has been working on his snaps all summer with roommate and quarterback Tyson Broekemeier. But Reeves hasn’t faced much physical contact after missing the spring while rehabbing a torn MCL in his right knee.
“You can run through plays, you can walk through them all the time, but actually going against a defense that’s going 100 percent, that’s a little different,” Reeves said. “I was pretty anxious (to put on pads). It’ll be good to get them popping again. ... I’ve had a pretty tough time with injuries and stuff, but you just focus on the day and try to get as much as you can out of it. Try to get better. Enjoy it. You only get this once.”

OWH

Yea, I couldn't care less if they have a scholarship or not. Either you got what it takes, or you don't.

Also, as far as above, about the top 5 guys playing more with less series to series rotation of different linemen, this is exactly what you want at this point. Familiarity and cohesiveness needs to be established before anything. You need to find five guys who can communicate and play together effectively. Once, and only after you have that base established, you build behind it. It will be tough at first if any one of those guys is injured bit injuries on the offensive line are always tough. You're just fighting a losing battle if you don't establish who your leaders and your core group is up front. Depth comes afterward when those five guys can be the ultimate example of how it should be done. Takes pressure off the coaches when the coach can establish his top guys and let them be an example for others to follow versus trying to bring along 10-15 guys all together at the same time.

Your offensive line is only as strong as your weakest link. Further down the road when more and more guys are developed, then you hopefully don't really see a weak link out there anymore. Its just like building a house. You got to start with the foundation.

• Fire 1

Seems a little odd that we're leaving several scholarship guys off the 105 man roster.

Edit: I guess "several" is over-stated. Johnson isn't on there and Stanton was told he wouldn't be.

If there are others that deserve it more, why would they be included just because they have a scholarship?

If they do, that's fine. It just seems odd that we have 20+ walk-ons who deserve it more. I'm not sure there would be 20+ walk-ons who we're expecting to be more meaningful contributors than an upper-classman at a pretty thin position.