Camping Out: Safeties

Sounds like Aaron Williams was getting a lot of first-team reps yesterday.

Hard for me to keep Aaron Williams and Kieron Williams straight since I don't remember seeing them in action yet. I guess I should remember Kieron since he had a couple of blocked punts last year.

Is Aaron Williams a CB? And Kieron Williams a safety? Here's Kieron's bio from the Camp Countdown thread:

No. 40 Kieron Williams

6-0 | 190 | Soph. | S

This late addition to the 2015 recruiting class made his strongest impact on Nebraska’s punt return team, blocking three punts — including two against USC — and helping block for punt returner De’Mornay Pierson-El.

At safety, Williams was a backup, but he’ll have a chance to vie for a starting job this year if he can beat out Byerson Cockrell, who can also play nickel. Williams has shown an ability to support the run and make big hits on defense. Those talents will serve him well in Mark Banker’s new defense, which emphasizes aggression. LINK

Aaron Williams is a true freshman that enrolled in January so he went through spring ball. Seems to be pushing for playing time at Safety already.

Kieron Williams was a late add last year. Charlton Warren had coached him for a year when Williams was a Air Force Prep and Warren was at Air Force. He got a lot of spot duty on defense last year. He ended up being the main Dime back and also basically played Middle Linebacker in one package for one game (Miami I think) when we went to a seven DB look. Kieron is working at Safety this year as well, I believe.

Gerry is definitely one starter at Safety. Cockrell had been getting a lot of the reps opposite Gerry on the first team but he's been out with shoulder issues the last couple practices. Aaron Williams has been getting a lot of reps with the 1s with Cockrell out. Kieron Williams seems to be in the next group behind those three vying for the other backup spot for now.