LB weight

Hey guys, is anyone else concerned about the weight of our LB's and if they will be able to stop Taysom Hill and then hold up in Big Ten play?

No, read a few articles and you will find that Luke Gifford actually weighs around 225. The listed weights for Nebraska's players is way off on some of them. Alex Lewis is listed at 290 but stated several times during fall camp that he actually up to about 310. Mick Stoltenberg is listed at 265 but is up to around 285 now. Malick Collins is listed at 300. He says he is around 310.

Everyone would love to have linebackers that run a 4.6 at 250lbs, but that doesn't happen that often. I will take Luke Gifford and his 4.6 at 225 over a 4.9 250 guy any day. In 1995 Nebraska's starting backers were Phil Ellis 225 at Mike, Jay Forman about 220 at will and Terrell Farley at about 210. Forman would come out and Jamel Williams would come into the game at about 205. Ryan Terwilliger came in for Farley and weighed about 225, but he was 6'5".

Weight wise they will be fine.

• Fire 1

I assume you're just trolling True with this topic, but if you're serious, I'd say no. We're only undersized at LB if Gifford is playing SLB instead of Rose-Ivey.

Even then, Banker values speed as much as anything. If you can run and tackle well, I don't think he'd care that much if you're a little light.

Hey guys, is anyone else concerned about the weight of our LB's and if they will be able to stop Taysom Hill and then hold up in Big Ten play?

No, read a few articles and you will find that Luke Gifford actually weighs around 225. The listed weights for Nebraska's players is way off on some of them. Alex Lewis is listed at 290 but stated several times during fall camp that he actually up to about 310. Mick Stoltenberg is listed at 265 but is up to around 285 now. Malick Collins is listed at 300. He says he is around 310.

Everyone would love to have linebackers that run a 4.6 at 250lbs, but that doesn't happen that often. I will take Luke Gifford and his 4.6 at 225 over a 4.9 250 guy any day. In 1995 Nebraska's starting backers were Phil Ellis 225 at Mike, Jay Forman about 220 at will and Terrell Farley at about 210. Forman would come out and Jamel Williams would come into the game at about 205. Ryan Terwilliger came in for Farley and weighed about 225, but he was 6'5".

How about if they weigh 220's and run a 4.9? From your 95' backers, I guarantee you there is one you listed that was a lot closer to 4.9 than 4.6.

I assume you're just trolling True with this topic, but if you're serious, I'd say no. We're only undersized at LB if Gifford is playing SLB instead of Rose-Ivey.

Even then, Banker values speed as much as anything. If you can run and tackle well, I don't think he'd care that much if you're a little light.

I don't know if I would call it "trolling", I thought I would just have a little fun with this topic. I don't have an issue with the LB's size. Give me fast and "light" over slow and heavy any day.

How about if they weigh 220's and run a 4.9? From your 95' backers, I guarantee you there is one you listed that was a lot closer to 4.9 than 4.6.

I don't think I ever said the 40 times on any of our 95 backers I was talking about Gifford and his time.

I am easily trolled I think. Must be one of my many flaws.

Charlie McBride says hello and calls BS on LB size:

We recruited runners and hitters and the third thing was size. If the kid couldn’t run, we didn’t recruit him. I think that showed up. One year one of our linebackers ran a 10.4 100 meters and the other one ran a 10.6. Those guys could play defensive back in the NFL, and they did. Our only big linebacker was our middle linebacker, and we had some good ones, but the speed factor was really the thing.

http://hailvarsity.com/news/football-news/mcbride-talks-defense/2012/09/

• Fire 1