Screw you complainers

knapplc

I stayed away from the board for this very reason.

I do not have a problem with constructive criticism but any Husker fan who did not come away with some positive feeling for the future, did not watch or see the development as the game went along.

OMG; we actually made halftime adjustments!

The sideline did not look like a sandlot full of children being scolded by their abusive parents.

I did not see the "Deer in the headlights" look from our coaching staff.

Our coaches were actually coaching not screaming in the ear hole of the players on side line, going over what the players are seeing on the field and what they can do to improve.

Did we lose? Yes Was it a hard loss to take? Yes all losses are hard to accept, especially when we shanked 2 field goals, missed out on a precious opportunity to get that last first down and seeing the Hail Mary in the last second with nobody up front.

Just an interesting side note if it has not been mentioned in other post. Coincidence? That Hail Mary was basically in the same area we had ours in the NW game! Thrown by a backup quarterback! The quarterback wore the #12 uniform!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this game, even in a loss showed me some positive signs for the future! IMO: I say if Bo was coaching this game we would have lost by 20+, had to endure Bo's response of "you were there, you seen the game" at his post game presser and continued to be ashamed of our sideline circus show that was viewed by millions.

I say "Go Big Red" and thanks Coach Riley. Here :waste is to a bright future!

Great Post! +1

but to be truthful, if you ask the average football fan who Mike Riley is, I'd venture to say that outside of Nebraska, most people wouldn't know.

I would say this is wrong. The average Nebraska fan might have that impression because many of us had no idea who he was.

Not that name stature is very important. As the HC of Nebraska now, everyone will know who he is. This would be true even had the hire been, say, our version of Derek "Who???" Dooley.

I live in Louisiana. Just for kicks, today I asked 10 of my coworkers, all of whom are avid football fans, if they knew who Mike Riley is. The number who knew? Zero. I'll stick with my opinion.

• Fire 1

but to be truthful, if you ask the average football fan who Mike Riley is, I'd venture to say that outside of Nebraska, most people wouldn't know.

I would say this is wrong. The average Nebraska fan might have that impression because many of us had no idea who he was.

Not that name stature is very important. As the HC of Nebraska now, everyone will know who he is. This would be true even had the hire been, say, our version of Derek "Who???" Dooley.

I live in Louisiana. Just for kicks, today I asked 10 of my coworkers, all of whom are avid football fans, if they knew who Mike Riley is. The number who knew? Zero. I'll stick with my opinion.

If they don't know the name of the coach of Nebraska and they are avid college football fans....that just shows how far Nebraska has fallen.

If they don't know the name of the coach of Nebraska and they are avid college football fans....that just shows how far Nebraska has fallen.

True, but on the other side of the coin (did I use that saying correctly? I'm terrible at using those), just how avid are they if they don't know the HC of a major football program? I get we aren't ranked and such, but I have tons a football fan friends and family who could name the coach of flippin' Maryland and that he was the HC at UConn before Maryland. I have a bunch of other football friends who couldn't name the HC at Texas. Those guys, I wouldn't call "avid" fans... Maybe my POV is skewed since I am an avid fan and know who the HC is at schools like Hawaii, Arkansas State, and Louisiana Tech.

You should ask those "avid" fans who will win the Big East this year...

• Fire 1

Not really. I'm not arguing that Nebraska hasn't fallen far, but Riley has only coached one game. The only reason I know the Michigan coach's name is because everyone knows who Harbaugh is. Being a known coach doesn't make the hire good. And non Pac-10 people for the most part don't know who Riley is. That doesn't mean he's a bad hire. Also, I don't know the name of Oregon's coach off the top of my head.

Or......it proves that "avid" football fans in Louisiana don't pay very good attention outside of SEC territory.

Nebraska has fallen, sure, but if these CFB fans paid attention they should've stumbled across this information in the last 6 months. I mean NU-BYU was one of the top 3 games opening weekend. I think it means at least some of 10 of his co-workers (nice story btw) are idiots.

• Fire 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only way this program will ever return to prominence is we we shell out the $ to hire an established big name coach/recruiter who will be able to lure prime recruits to Lincoln. Don't get me wrong, I like Coach Riley, and I support him. He seems like a nice guy. But as far as being an elite coach, he's not.

But...he's really nice....and a Prius driver..which is even better than riding horses because they eat grass and fart methane which is unfriendly to the planet and makes him even more... you know, nice. :cowbell:

Some smart ass pointed it out on another thread, but the most elite available coach was Jim Harbaugh. A proven winner and a notorious prick.

If only we had shelled out the money for Jim Harbaugh, we could have had a head coach who lost his opening game to a team from Utah.

So what's the f'ing difference, guys?

Issue one: People are "happy" that the coaches "looked" composed.

It is an issue because they "looked" the part but did not coach the part in the last 4 minutes.

Had this not been the first game, of their first season, in a new place with new systems and a new team to them, I'd be almost as concerned as you obviously are (you've referenced this probably five times in five threads, even on the Friday before the next game).

I wonder if people appreciate the way a scenario like that can snowball on you. When you don't know everything about your guys, what they do well or not. How you want to run the ball and kill the clock but your offensive line is being stuffed. Or the things you take for granted, as a new coach, them things you may assume your guys understand about the situation. You can only truly find out those things when they're put in that situation, and then fix them from there.

That'sa tough spot to find yourself in. Hence the timeouts. Coach tried, and yet, it wasn't enough. Sometimes in this game, luck can be on your side or against you.

You claim to be a football coach teachercd, with that in mind, I am honestly surprised at how critical you can be of other coaxhes, especially first year coaches.

Issue one: People are "happy" that the coaches "looked" composed.

It is an issue because they "looked" the part but did not coach the part in the last 4 minutes.

Had this not been the first game, of their first season, in a new place with new systems and a new team to them, I'd be almost as concerned as you obviously are (you've referenced this probably five times in five threads, even on the Friday before the next game).

I wonder if people appreciate the way a scenario like that can snowball on you. When you don't know everything about your guys, what they do well or not. How you want to run the ball and kill the clock but your offensive line is being stuffed. Or the things you take for granted, as a new coach, them things you may assume your guys understand about the situation. You can only truly find out those things when they're put in that situation, and then fix them from there.

That'sa tough spot to find yourself in. Hence the timeouts. Coach tried, and yet, it wasn't enough. Sometimes in this game, luck can be on your side or against you.

You claim to be a football coach teachercd, with that in mind, I am honestly surprised at how critical you can be of other coaxhes, especially first year coaches.

He is not a first year coach...I don't know why people keep saying that. That was a lame excuse we used for Bo for so long, that he had never been a head coach before.

Look, the clock they use at OSU is the same one they use at Nebraska...it counts down to zero.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only way this program will ever return to prominence is we we shell out the $ to hire an established big name coach/recruiter who will be able to lure prime recruits to Lincoln. Don't get me wrong, I like Coach Riley, and I support him. He seems like a nice guy. But as far as being an elite coach, he's not.

But...he's really nice....and a Prius driver..which is even better than riding horses because they eat grass and fart methane which is unfriendly to the planet and makes him even more... you know, nice. :cowbell:

Some smart ass pointed it out on another thread, but the most elite available coach was Jim Harbaugh. A proven winner and a notorious prick.

If only we had shelled out the money for Jim Harbaugh, we could have had a head coach who lost his opening game to a team from Utah.

So what's the f'ing difference, guys?

Look at the records from Michigan and Nebraska last year. That's the difference.