Dirty play and Officiating

C N Red

A punch is an automatic ejection in most football games I've played in (only jr/sr high). The BYU fans are correct that some of these plays weren't flagged, and how they weren't I have no idea.

I also have never heard of anyone getting community service hours by helping their friends and people they know, I have never ever heard of this anywhere. Usually if someone needs hours they are in contact with an agency who then finds a role they can play helping their organization for the amount of how ever many hours they need to complete.

Also one last question the BYU poster brought up in my mind, there is a ref association that is suppose to watch over independent programs?

i believe it goes through the ole texass conference

Praetor,#20 with the low hit, was injured last week, and will be suspended this week against UCLA.

The player in the brawl vine's above, Kai Nacua, did a ton of community service and was suspended week 1, and he was our best DB with 3 picks against Boise State.

Yeah Praetor is out, but it sounds to me if wasn't for the injury he probably wouldn't be.

Also the community service bit sounds to be self serving BS.

"It was fun. I like to do that type of stuff, so It was good," Nacua said of the service. "I just went around the community to find anything. I had people texting me to help me find people to move and anything I could."beacon.gif?cid=319118&pid=4

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36525531&nid=272&fm=home_page&s_cid=toppick1

So he just helped friends and people he knew move and self-reported 100 hours? BYU needs to wake up and join the rest of us in reality. You guys have a really talented football team and you're wasting it with this nonsense. Also if this crap keeps up, teams will stop scheduling BYU.

This is hilarious. Nice punishment.

They can deny the dirty play all they want. But fact is, where is the real punishment and accountability?? And why do the things keep happening?? Either the punishment isn't bad enough or lessons supposed to be taught by the coaches aren't being done.

It's on the program, from the coaches to the AD to the chancellor. How can you let things like this happen and not take severe action????????????????

Don't try and make excuses, there aren't any. If one game suspensions, fake community service, "Stigma" aren't enough and cannot curtail the problems then the punishment needs to be much more severe or the culture needs to change in the program.

There is a very good book out there about college football called "the system" there is a chafter dedicated to BYU (actually a couple) but one is about a high profile LB recruit who had offers from BYU and Nebraska among others. Regardless this kid got in trouble in high school on multiple occasions and was arrested a couple of times as well. Mendenhall kept his offer because he believed he needed the faith and help there. I'm sure it helped the kid had huge talent as well (eyeroll) if I can find my copy of it I will drop his name and some quotes from the book

His name is Kyle Van Noy. He was a 5 star recruit and plays for the Detroit Lions. He actually was kicked off the team for the whole year before he was allowed to play. He had scholly offers to about 20 p-5 schools that he could have chosen to go to instead and not have had to serve the 1 year suspension (Underage drinking was the violation by the way). He went on to be a very upstanding guy and probably did more good in the community than any other BYU player in a long time. He has a lot of foundations he runs here and although he lives in Detroit is very involved in the community in Provo. This is a terrible example. I urge you guys to read that book its awesome.

I get it we have had some terrible incidents lately. The punch was completely ridiculous and he should have been suspended for it. This story big red is referring to is nothing but a very uplifting story and you are completely off about punishment and everything else involved with it.

We have a bit of an image problem right now that I hope gets turned around. I feel bad about the TE incident. I don't think it was intentional. I think he didn't know it he had the ball or not. Should have been flagged but I don't think it was intentional. Other than that I think the game was pretty well fought and there is some major grasping at straws on this topic. Hope you guys are doing well in Lincoln. We as a fanbase really believe you guys for the most part are some of the classiest fans we've met. We have a ways to go in that dept and I will be cheering for you anytime we see them on TV.

There is definately some denial going on within the BYU fanbase if they think there is nothing wrong with what is happening with your team. Incidents in 3 straight games is more than grasping at straws. Ask what you would think if those plays were reversed and it was happening to your guys instead.

The fight, the late hit, and the nut punch were all bad. They need to be fixed. Everything else in this thread I have seen is garbage, but you guys in this thread seem to enjoy working yourselves into a lather.

Really,most of the stuff in this thread is pure garbage and lots of it should make you uncomfortable, or flat out embarrassed. Lots of stuff in this thread is because the posters don't know about football. There are lots of plain old lies and wild speculation presented as fact in here as well.

(For example the "gator roll". Watch some videos about tackling lol. You think a player without momentum is supposed to just hold on? lol. BYU is racist, sure..... it's a team of all white guys from Mississippi burning. "Dirty low tackling.... again, lol at how dumb that is. The "dirty" injury of your punter- people discredited that, yet people kept posting it as fact anyway. BYU did not suspend anyone important. Bronco won't punish his players. And on, and on, and on. Sweet echo chamber you are building here though.)

Mark Stoddard, is that you? Did you shoot that snot rocket on that Utah football in the store?

So, since we don't watch as much football as you do, educate us:

Is this football? https://vine.co/v/OXPd6nUj2It

Is this football? https://vine.co/v/OXtT35F2IFA

Is this football? (Watch until after the hit, the small clip on Reddit doesn't do it justice) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoOU5N2PCoM?t=32m44s

Is this football? https://vine.co/v/eFgPwr2tv5B

Then you have the blatant nut punch that everybody saw (which is apparently enough punishment).

Those all occurred in the last 3 games. Well the "Bronco won't punish his players" thing is sort of true and it seems he's comfortable toeing the line as much as possible to make sure BYU is competitive in all their games. Otherwise he would've suspended your center for the opening game as well as another player that wound up seeing playing time. No way could he not suspend Kai Nacua because then everyone would think he's an idiot, even your own fans, but if it's marginal, ehhh the exposure is punishment enough, everyone knows he made a mistake, yada yada bullsh#t yada.

If justice exists, BYU won't win another game this year. They've gotten lucky enough winning their first two.

Is this football? https://vine.co/v/eTEpM2WQYid You are correct there is alot of embarassing and uncomfortable stuff in this thread. I've seen multiple videos of it.

LOL. You want to apologize? Or are you going to double down?

Your video applies if you have a player wrapped up around the waist or maybe lower around both legs. That's called good tackling. Alligator rolling a single leg is something else. The only mitigating thing about what the BYU player did is that he didn't appear to apply enough pressure to severely twist the leg.

Edit: cg_8 happened to have a video in another thread showing Ameer (#8) getting tackled using this technique.

msu-double-a-blitz.gif

I can't believe that fans of the school that gave the NFL two of the dirtiest players in its history, Richie Incognito and Ndamukong Suh, is STILL whining about getting beat up by those big, bad Mormon boys from Provo.

You claim to play big boy football, but the incessant whining is just getting sad. I get it. You had a couple of guys injured by questionable tackles. Oh, wait, just one. sh#t happens in a football game. We lost our star nose tackle for 4-6 weeks to a chop block. But we're not still crying about those dirty, mean Cornhuskers. sh#t happens and you move on.

At least you didn't get nut-punched. Not that it would matter, because how can a nut punch hurt when you have no balls?

I can't believe that fans of the school that gave the NFL two of the dirtiest players in its history, Richie Incognito and Ndamukong Suh, is STILL whining about getting beat up by those big, bad Mormon boys from Provo.

You claim to play big boy football, but the incessant whining is just getting sad. I get it. You had a couple of guys injured by questionable tackles. Oh, wait, just one. sh#t happens in a football game. We lost our star nose tackle for 4-6 weeks to a chop block. But we're not still crying about those dirty, mean Cornhuskers. sh#t happens and you move on.

At least you didn't get nut-punched. Not that it would matter, because how can a nut punch hurt when you have no balls?

i can't help you guys to see....you might have to ask the lord to help you out. fwiw...we meant it when we said grats on the win. Also fwiw...we are not saying we would have won the game if you hadn't played dirty. we are not even talking about you playing dirty only against us. We are talking about what we see you guys doing right now in game after game....and it is dirty. sorry that your eyes are closed to it. Go on and cheer for the dirty hits and enjoy your season. your team is good and will do well this year. But if you continue to play that style of football don't get your panties in a bunch if people talk about your teams dirty tactics.

• Fire 2

i can't help you guys to see....you might have to ask the lord to help you out. fwiw...we meant it when we said grats on the win. Also fwiw...we are not saying we would have won the game if you hadn't played dirty. we are not even talking about you playing dirty only against us. We are talking about what we see you guys doing right now in game after game....and it is dirty. sorry that your eyes are closed to it. Go on and cheer for the dirty hits and enjoy your season. your team is good and will do well this year. But if you continue to play that style of football don't get your panties in a bunch if people talk about your teams dirty tactics.

I think that's fair. The nut punch type stuff has to stop. It is a black eye for the program.

The only reason I started giving you guys a hard time is the people who were generalizing that the whole game plan and style is dirty. That's bogus. You have a few plays that are bad and lots of football idiots making claims on topics they don't understand. The gator roll and low tackle discussions are good examples of that.

You guys may have missed some of the posts in this thread, but some people on here are making some wild claims. Lot's of people are saying stuff that is reasonable as well.

Again, wrong.

There is a very good book out there about college football called "the system" there is a chafter dedicated to BYU (actually a couple) but one is about a high profile LB recruit who had offers from BYU and Nebraska among others. Regardless this kid got in trouble in high school on multiple occasions and was arrested a couple of times as well. Mendenhall kept his offer because he believed he needed the faith and help there. I'm sure it helped the kid had huge talent as well (eyeroll) if I can find my copy of it I will drop his name and some quotes from the book

His name is Kyle Van Noy. He was a 5 star recruit and plays for the Detroit Lions. He actually was kicked off the team for the whole year before he was allowed to play. He had scholly offers to about 20 p-5 schools that he could have chosen to go to instead and not have had to serve the 1 year suspension (Underage drinking was the violation by the way). He went on to be a very upstanding guy and probably did more good in the community than any other BYU player in a long time. He has a lot of foundations he runs here and although he lives in Detroit is very involved in the community in Provo. This is a terrible example. I urge you guys to read that book its awesome.

I get it we have had some terrible incidents lately. The punch was completely ridiculous and he should have been suspended for it. This story big red is referring to is nothing but a very uplifting story and you are completely off about punishment and everything else involved with it.

We have a bit of an image problem right now that I hope gets turned around. I feel bad about the TE incident. I don't think it was intentional. I think he didn't know it he had the ball or not. Should have been flagged but I don't think it was intentional. Other than that I think the game was pretty well fought and there is some major grasping at straws on this topic. Hope you guys are doing well in Lincoln. We as a fanbase really believe you guys for the most part are some of the classiest fans we've met. We have a ways to go in that dept and I will be cheering for you anytime we see them on TV.

There is definately some denial going on within the BYU fanbase if they think there is nothing wrong with what is happening with your team. Incidents in 3 straight games is more than grasping at straws. Ask what you would think if those plays were reversed and it was happening to your guys instead.

The fight, the late hit, and the nut punch were all bad. They need to be fixed. Everything else in this thread I have seen is garbage, but you guys in this thread seem to enjoy working yourselves into a lather.

Really,most of the stuff in this thread is pure garbage and lots of it should make you uncomfortable, or flat out embarrassed. Lots of stuff in this thread is because the posters don't know about football. There are lots of plain old lies and wild speculation presented as fact in here as well.

(For example the "gator roll". Watch some videos about tackling lol. You think a player without momentum is supposed to just hold on? lol. BYU is racist, sure..... it's a team of all white guys from Mississippi burning. "Dirty low tackling.... again, lol at how dumb that is. The "dirty" injury of your punter- people discredited that, yet people kept posting it as fact anyway. BYU did not suspend anyone important. Bronco won't punish his players. And on, and on, and on. Sweet echo chamber you are building here though.)

Mark Stoddard, is that you? Did you shoot that snot rocket on that Utah football in the store?

So, since we don't watch as much football as you do, educate us:

Is this football? https://vine.co/v/OXPd6nUj2It

Is this football? https://vine.co/v/OXtT35F2IFA

Is this football? (Watch until after the hit, the small clip on Reddit doesn't do it justice) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoOU5N2PCoM?t=32m44s

Is this football? https://vine.co/v/eFgPwr2tv5B

Then you have the blatant nut punch that everybody saw (which is apparently enough punishment).

Those all occurred in the last 3 games. Well the "Bronco won't punish his players" thing is sort of true and it seems he's comfortable toeing the line as much as possible to make sure BYU is competitive in all their games. Otherwise he would've suspended your center for the opening game as well as another player that wound up seeing playing time. No way could he not suspend Kai Nacua because then everyone would think he's an idiot, even your own fans, but if it's marginal, ehhh the exposure is punishment enough, everyone knows he made a mistake, yada yada bullsh#t yada.

If justice exists, BYU won't win another game this year. They've gotten lucky enough winning their first two.

Is this football? https://vine.co/v/eTEpM2WQYid You are correct there is alot of embarassing and uncomfortable stuff in this thread. I've seen multiple videos of it.

LOL. You want to apologize? Or are you going to double down?

Your video applies if you have a player wrapped up around the waist or maybe lower around both legs. That's called good tackling. Alligator rolling a single leg is something else. The only mitigating thing about what the BYU player did is that he didn't appear to apply enough pressure to severely twist the leg.

Edit: cg_8 happened to have a video in another thread showing Ameer (#8) getting tackled using this technique.

msu-double-a-blitz.gif

He wrapped at the waist. He had more momentum than the ball carrier, Good tackle. It's ok to put your hemet at the side of the thigh pad and wrap at the knees too. If you ever end up with one leg, this is football and you are coached to do just what happened in the play in the Nebraska game.

Listen man, I recommend you take some of your own guidance and "move on" if the "incessant whining" is getting to you. This is a Husker message board, full of a very proud fan base that 1) lost a home opener for the first time in 18 million moon cycles 2) didn't like the way your team carried themselves and 3) lost a couple of very talented and important players to injury because of questionable play that has become synonymous with BYU in the same way STD's are associated with the prostitution business. Of course your fans aren't still "crying" about the game - you won. It's a lot easier to hop up on your throne and throw stones when you're the victor.

Second, don't deflect your team's inadequacies onto us. Incognito was what he was, but if you knew anything about Suh's college career (which it is obvious, you know very little), you'd understand that he was not a dirty player at NU. In fact, in his final two seasons, there was only one time he was ever accused of doing something "dirty", and that was by a bunch of butt-hurt Missouri fans. Otherwise, he never once garnered a complaint for negative play.

BYU, conversely, and seemingly every season, has several instances of teams accusing them of playing inappropriately. The correlation you're trying to make is ridiculous.

As I said earlier in this thread, you and any other BYU fan is more than welcome to stay on this board and talk football. But, if your only contribution is going to be defending your team on a Husker message board, then don't bother coming here. You just keep feeding the fire, which really makes you no better than the people who can't get over it.

• Fire 4

As far as I'm concerned, Ivory is just lobbing around Straw Man's to get a reaction and some of us are taking the bait.

He maintains we're only complaining about the late hit(S) and ignores our legitimate points about:

• Ankle-cranking
  • The awful bowl game incidents (the two linked ITT blatant suckerpunches no real man would throw IMO) and relative lack of consequent suspensions
  • The alleged laughable sham of community service given to a BYU player
  • The other cheapshots (forearm helmet strikes)

While paying lip-service to the nut-shot under the guise of an attempted insult.

Nice try man. You can pretend it's just about the injuries from low tackles and ignore the other points and videos all you want. Honestly, enjoy the win. You got a very talented team this year. But it's a dirty one. Mendenhall seems to have bred a culture of indifference to the dirty tactics, and I'm sure glad NU and its players don't carry themselves that way. It's embarrassing on a national level, and worse when you find out punishment equates to no more than slaps on the wrist.

Take the W. If you gotta drop one, it's best to do it as early as possible, in the non-con. You know who lost their first game an early game last year? Ohio State.

As far as I'm concerned, Ivory is just lobbing around Straw Man's to get a reaction and some of us are taking the bait.

He maintains we're only complaining about the late hit(S) and ignores our legitimate points about:

• Ankle-cranking
  • The awful bowl game incidents (the two linked ITT blatant suckerpunches no real man would throw IMO) and relative lack of consequent suspensions

While paying lip-service to the nut-shot under the guise of an attempted insult.

Nice try man. You can pretend it's just about the injuries from low tackles and ignore the other points and videos all you want. Honestly, enjoy the win. You got a very talented team this year. But it's a dirty one. Mendenhall seems to have bred a culture of indifference to the dirty tactics, and I'm sure glad NU and its players don't carry themselves that way. It's embarrassing on a national level, and worse when you find out punishment equates to no more than slaps on the wrist.

Take the W. If you gotta drop one, it's best to do it as early as possible, in the non-con. You know who lost their first game last year? Ohio State.

Ohio State didn't lose their first game last year. :D

• Ankle-cranking

Take the W. If you gotta drop one, it's best to do it as early as possible, in the non-con. You know who lost their first game last year? Ohio State.

Ohio State didn't lose their first game last year. :D

Oy. Totally thought VaTech was their first game.

Good save. Getting old is hell... memory's starting to go!