Can we please call this what it was?

Redux

So on facebook the Husker groups are pretty colorful and stupid. A lot are logical but several are doing the blame Riley, Hire Bo back thing. I come on here and honestly if I didn't know better I would think we won that game.

But can we please be honest? That hurt. That was a heartbreaker in every sense. We just lost an opener for the first time since before a lot of us were born. And it wasn't to Alabama or Oregon. It was to an independent BYU. Not a team to sneeze at, but not a world beater either. To prove that, they had to do it with a backup freshman QB and several guys who were out. We had guys out too, but dammit we were at home.

Pretty much all I'm seeing is sad optimism. Not pathetic but we all want to think of it as a moral win. Well it wasn't, we lost even if it was an ugly way to lose. Sure, there was a lot to like. Really there is. Team could be really good. But there was a lot to not like being ignored.

I see the "We just wanted improvement" argument. Thats not all I wanted. We canned Bo for 2 reasons. He got stale, and he was a big meany head.. Riley is frsh start and super nice. But I wan't a damn trophy. The Bo haters are now using the same excuses to defend the loss that we heard were stupid excuses.

Yeah yeah, one game, we will get better yadda yadda. I just feel defated, let down. Damn I hate losing like that. Regardless, I like our direction and think we are going the right way. But this is not our return to glory, not this season. We have a long way to go and if we let the same growing pains we all saw continue, we could be in for a long year. So lets all continue being positive, I know I will try.

• Fire 4

So on facebook the Husker groups are pretty colorful and stupid. A lot are logical but several are doing the blame Riley, Hire Bo back thing. I come on here and honestly if I didn't know better I would think we won that game.

But can we please be honest? That hurt. That was a heartbreaker in every sense. We just lost an opener for the first time since before a lot of us were born. And it wasn't to Alabama or Oregon. It was to an independent BYU. Not a team to sneeze at, but not a world beater either. To prove that, they had to do it with a backup freshman QB and several guys who were out. We had guys out too, but dammit we were at home.

Pretty much all I'm seeing is sad optimism. Not pathetic but we all want to think of it as a moral win. Well it wasn't, we lost even if it was an ugly way to lose. Sure, there was a lot to like. Really there is. Team could be really good. But there was a lot to not like being ignored.

I see the "We just wanted improvement" argument. Thats not all I wanted. We canned Bo for 2 reasons. He got stale, and he was a big meany head.. Riley is frsh start and super nice. But I wan't a damn trophy. The Bo haters are now using the same excuses to defend the loss that we heard were stupid excuses.

Yeah yeah, one game, we will get better yadda yadda. I just feel defated, let down. Damn I hate losing like that. Regardless, I like our direction and think we are going the right way. But this is not our return to glory, not this season. We have a long way to go and if we let the same growing pains we all saw continue, we could be in for a long year. So lets all continue being positive, I know I will try.

Exactly what every other team in America thinks of NU as well.

It was one game man. There were many positives. We looked far better than Michigan or Penn State or whatever.

If you were born after the last opening loss, then you have no perspective. Those of us born well before that remember the sixties and seventies, expecially after back to back NC's in the seventies.

Lots of people wanted Osborne gone. Had that happened (in today's social media frenzy he would have been) you and many others would have nothing to base your perspectives on now.

It's football, it happens. It's not life and death, and if it's the worst thing to happen to you this year, you are truly blessed.

GBR !!

Well, if I had come on right after the hailmary was caught, you would have seen a post like this:

"How the **** did that ******* ball get caught in the *********** endzone? ******* **** those ************* to ******* ****."

I could go on, but I think you get it. After thinking over what I saw, we didn't play a horrible game. Sure there could have been some better play calling at times, the o-line could have played a lot better, Tommy could have made some of the wide open throws, the d-line could have gotten more pressure on the QB, the overall coverage from the DBs could have been better, or there could have been someone IN FRONT of the receiver. However, overall it was a pretty good first game and it's one the team can build from. There are still three non-conference games to win and the West is still there to win. Miami might be tough, and I think the Illinois offense will give the Husker D some troubles, but overall I feel pretty good about our chances against the other teams.

I think a big test for this team will be traveling to Miami. We will see how a Riley coached team responds to being on the road.

It was one game man. There were many positives. We looked far better than Michigan or Penn State or whatever.

If you were born after the last opening loss, then you have no perspective.

Yeah by rule, I quit reading whenever somebody says something like that. Complete bullsh#t. "I'm older so I'm wiser" total copout.

It's on you if you thought nebraska was gunna be amazing this year Redux. You are the only regular poster around here that I get the vibe that you think Nebraska should never lose a game ever. Be real. Alot of people are under selling BYU, and underselling what it takes in transition time. Ya I might be different if we played them in week 2, but we didnt. Play the cards your dealt. Play the game.

Ya it hurt. Get over it. It's week 2. Time to improve.

I understand most will skim the OP, heres the cliff notes:

I hate losing.

BYU is a good team, not great.

Lets stop acting like losing is an acceptable thing now. We weren't supposed to do that when Bo lost either.

Riley has us looking better, but we have A LOT of work to do.

Hope we can fix sime stuff and win some games.

• Fire 2

It's on you if you thought nebraska was gunna be amazing this year Redux. You are the only regular poster around here that I get the vibe that you think Nebraska should never lose a game ever. Be real. Alot of people are under selling BYU, and overselling what it takes in transition time. Ya I might be different if we played them in week 2, but we didnt. Play the cards your dealt. Play the game.

Where did I say we were gonna win every game this year. I said 9-3 for the last couple months. It's cool you are so over the loss, that is neat.

• Fire 1

It's on you if you thought nebraska was gunna be amazing this year Redux. You are the only regular poster around here that I get the vibe that you think Nebraska should never lose a game ever. Be real. Alot of people are under selling BYU, and overselling what it takes in transition time. Ya I might be different if we played them in week 2, but we didnt. Play the cards your dealt. Play the game.

Where did I say we were gonna win every game this year. I said 9-3 for the last couple months. It's cool you are so over the loss, that is neat.

It's football. It's what you learn to do when you play. It shouldn't be any different as fans. It's just whiny, and sad.

If you were born after the last opening loss, then you have no perspective. Those of us born well before that remember the sixties and seventies, expecially after back to back NC's in the seventies.

Lots of people wanted Osborne gone. Had that happened (in today's social media frenzy he would have been) you and many others would have nothing to base your perspectives on now.

It's football, it happens. It's not life and death, and if it's the worst thing to happen to you this year, you are truly blessed.

GBR !!

I don't know about that. I watched the Michigan game and they looked pretty good. IMO, they looked better than us.

• Fire 2

GBR !!

I don't know about that. I watched the Michigan game and they looked pretty good. IMO, they looked better than us.

Ya. I thought Michigan looked good. Except for Rudock. Utah is a good team, a lot of people don't know, because they don't pay attention to anything other than NU.

• Fire 1

GBR !!

Ya. I thought Michigan looked good. Except for Rudock. Utah is a good team, a lot of people don't know, because they don't pay attention to anything other than NU.

You are right about Ruddock. If Michigan wasn't playing Iowa's backup QB I think they win that one.

I think people already know I'm with Redux on this. This wasn't a moral victory at all. Yes there were bright spots, but this should not have been a game we lost. And, I also don't buy this transition crap. We have the athletes, if the coaches can't adapt the scheme to the players, then they're no better than their predecessors. I can see hope for the offense (play calling was suspect, but maybe that was first game stuff), but the defense is highly questionable, something I was worried about from the start (even though I didn't voice the concern).

• Fire 2