Can we please call this what it was?

Redux

The loss sucked for everyone. If you're more miserable than others, what's the point of trying to bring them down with you?

Not trying to do that at all.

I just want us to be honest about it. If we pretend that we looked like a world beater on Saturday, it is gonna hurt that much more when we lose the next one, or the next one.

I can't stress enough the fact we looked really good at times. But tap dancing jehova, look at the board a year ago. If someone brought up the fact we looked good but missed some assingments and lost the game they were ridiculed to no end. I plan on giving Mike Riley this season and another before I make a big judgement call. But come on, losing that game the way we did....

Stop me if you have heard this "We did a lot of good things. Looked sharp in this area. Need to tighten up in this area. Yeah we lost but I think we have the potential to win the division or whatever this year."

I've not seen anyone declare NU being this. Or even pretending.

Really?

People aren't using the term "world beater" but by acting like BYU is great, they're saying Nebraska is too because we "played well." It's a silly argument.

No people on HERE aren't. But yeah, talking up BYU like they have a playoff shot is silly indeed. They likely lose 4 more games, maybe more.

I'm not intentionally talking up BYU if you are referring to my topic about their schedule.

But their schedule is not good after they play Michigan. They are gunna win 10-11 games. It is what it is. Difference of opinion I guess.

So on facebook the Husker groups are pretty colorful and stupid. A lot are logical but several are doing the blame Riley, Hire Bo back thing. I come on here and honestly if I didn't know better I would think we won that game.

But can we please be honest? That hurt. That was a heartbreaker in every sense. We just lost an opener for the first time since before a lot of us were born. And it wasn't to Alabama or Oregon. It was to an independent BYU. Not a team to sneeze at, but not a world beater either. To prove that, they had to do it with a backup freshman QB and several guys who were out. We had guys out too, but dammit we were at home.

Pretty much all I'm seeing is sad optimism. Not pathetic but we all want to think of it as a moral win. Well it wasn't, we lost even if it was an ugly way to lose. Sure, there was a lot to like. Really there is. Team could be really good. But there was a lot to not like being ignored.

I see the "We just wanted improvement" argument. Thats not all I wanted. We canned Bo for 2 reasons. He got stale, and he was a big meany head.. Riley is frsh start and super nice. But I wan't a damn trophy. The Bo haters are now using the same excuses to defend the loss that we heard were stupid excuses.

Yeah yeah, one game, we will get better yadda yadda. I just feel defated, let down. Damn I hate losing like that. Regardless, I like our direction and think we are going the right way. But this is not our return to glory, not this season. We have a long way to go and if we let the same growing pains we all saw continue, we could be in for a long year. So lets all continue being positive, I know I will try.

I think you just provided all the arguments for freaking out and not freaking out in one post. So............what are you saying this is? What should we call it?

I hardly feel I'm flying off the handle here, just being honest about my opinion. And sadly that opinion is we could lose a lot of games this year. We still have 11 to play and I still have no clue what to expect from this team. Is that where we are? If someone questions our potential the reaction is like I burned my Husker gear and slapped our mascot?

• Fire 1

So on facebook the Husker groups are pretty colorful and stupid. A lot are logical but several are doing the blame Riley, Hire Bo back thing. I come on here and honestly if I didn't know better I would think we won that game.

But can we please be honest? That hurt. That was a heartbreaker in every sense. We just lost an opener for the first time since before a lot of us were born. And it wasn't to Alabama or Oregon. It was to an independent BYU. Not a team to sneeze at, but not a world beater either. To prove that, they had to do it with a backup freshman QB and several guys who were out. We had guys out too, but dammit we were at home.

Pretty much all I'm seeing is sad optimism. Not pathetic but we all want to think of it as a moral win. Well it wasn't, we lost even if it was an ugly way to lose. Sure, there was a lot to like. Really there is. Team could be really good. But there was a lot to not like being ignored.

I see the "We just wanted improvement" argument. Thats not all I wanted. We canned Bo for 2 reasons. He got stale, and he was a big meany head.. Riley is frsh start and super nice. But I wan't a damn trophy. The Bo haters are now using the same excuses to defend the loss that we heard were stupid excuses.

Yeah yeah, one game, we will get better yadda yadda. I just feel defated, let down. Damn I hate losing like that. Regardless, I like our direction and think we are going the right way. But this is not our return to glory, not this season. We have a long way to go and if we let the same growing pains we all saw continue, we could be in for a long year. So lets all continue being positive, I know I will try.

I think you just provided all the arguments for freaking out and not freaking out in one post. So............what are you saying this is? What should we call it?

It's a loss. A real loss. A heartbreaker of a loss. This moral win stuff is bonk.

• Fire 1

The loss sucked for everyone. If you're more miserable than others, what's the point of trying to bring them down with you?

I just want us to be honest about it. If we pretend that we looked like a world beater on Saturday, it is gonna hurt that much more when we lose the next one, or the next one.

I can't stress enough the fact we looked really good at times. But tap dancing jehova, look at the board a year ago. If someone brought up the fact we looked good but missed some assingments and lost the game they were ridiculed to no end. I plan on giving Mike Riley this season and another before I make a big judgement call. But come on, losing that game the way we did....

Stop me if you have heard this "We did a lot of good things. Looked sharp in this area. Need to tighten up in this area. Yeah we lost but I think we have the potential to win the division or whatever this year."

Really?

People aren't using the term "world beater" but by acting like BYU is great, they're saying Nebraska is too because we "played well." It's a silly argument.

No people on HERE aren't. But yeah, talking up BYU like they have a playoff shot is silly indeed. They likely lose 4 more games, maybe more.

I'm not intentionally talking up BYU if you are referring to my topic about their schedule.

But their schedule is not good after they play Michigan. They are gunna win 10-11 games. It is what it is. Difference of opinion I guess.

BYU is definitely not winning 10-11 games this year. You think because they beat us on a hail mary and lost their stud QB they are going to win 10-11 games???? They are a good team, but come on.

• Fire 2

I hardly feel I'm flying off the handle here, just being honest about my opinion. And sadly that opinion is we could lose a lot of games this year. We still have 11 to play and I still have no clue what to expect from this team. Is that where we are? If someone questions our potential the reaction is like I burned my Husker gear and slapped our mascot?

LOL!!! What else did you expect?

I understand some people's sentiment about Nebraska is great, they should never lose. Although I would never subject myself to that thinking because I have many other things to worry about. Just not on Labor Day.

Really?

BYU is definitely not winning 10-11 games this year. You think because they beat us on a hail mary and lost their stud QB they are going to win 10-11 games???? They are a good team, but come on.

Go watch 95 championship game again. I'm done with you.

I understand some people's sentiment about Nebraska is great, they should never lose. Although I would never subject myself to that thinking because I have many other things to worry about. Just not on Labor Day.

Okay, you are right. Nebraska should lose games to BYU because BYU is a 10-11 win team this year.

• Fire 1

Okay, you are right. Nebraska should lose games to BYU because BYU is a 10-11 win team this year.

Ohio State. 2014.

And I didn't say that. So don't put words in my mouth. The point is, that you think that just because Nebraska lost week 1 with a new coaching staff, to a good team, that they cannot be good and improve through out the year.

What the hell is football all about? Improving as the season goes along. You can't peak at week 1. Later down the road, NU will be better than BYU. Sure.

But good grief, you're whining about NU being horrible is absolutely childish and way too much of a snap judgement. Put the bottle down dude.

• Fire 1

Ohio State. 2014.

Holy crap dude...

• Fire 1

Yes the loss sucked and we probably should have won, but I'm going to give them more than one game before I pass judgement on the hire. They say teams generally improve the most between weeks 1 and 2, so we'll see how they perform in the next couple weeks

Well to be fair, if we don't see a major improvement against South Alabama we are in trouble.

• Fire 1

Honestly, I just don't understand. We have so many things playing against us from all new coaches, to a lack of depth, to new schemes, to injuries... I mean literally you name a problem and we likely have it. That doesn't mean we can't improve and get better but jeesh... Nebraska, right now, isn't in a position to claim supremacy over a lot of teams and that includes BYU.

Alot of that has to do with the offseason drivel of the new coaching staff vs the old. For 9 months, we've seen post after post and thread after thread on how any average coach could win 9 games with our schedule, that the last staff was awful, and that every new coach is superior to the guy he replaced. If that's the case, then we should see an upgrade in the W/L column, just by fixing the issues that have plagued us for 7 years.

But.... it's simply not black and white like that.

I agree with all you have posted in this thread. Let me add some things in...

1. We are treating BYU like we did Wyoming a few years ago..."Oh the QB is amazing and will play on Sunday's" and "This was their Super Bowl"

2. I am a huge Riley fan and I still think they win 10-11 games this year BUT the mantra was, over and over, that any coach, chair, monkey, table, dart board, cup or Huskerboard poster could coach NU to 9 wins every year.

They could not convert short 3rd downs...could not make FG's, I guess the clock management might have been a bit poor but I am not sure and they let a guy catch a jump ball. Oh and they had 12 penalties?

I guess I see most of those things as very fixable.

What might be a concern...letting up over 500 yards of offense and I guess I did not think the D Line looked all that great.

Ohio State. 2014.

And I didn't say that. So don't put words in my mouth. The point is, that you think that just because Nebraska lost week 1 with a new coaching staff, to a good team, that they cannot be good and improve through out the year.

What the hell is football all about? Improving as the season goes along. You can't peak at week 1. Later down the road, NU will be better than BYU. Sure.

But good grief, you're whining about NU being horrible is absolutely childish and way too much of a snap judgement. Put the bottle down dude.

Ohio State. 2014.

Holy crap dude...

If you read that as me thinking NU is championship worthy, you are something else man. You have issues.

The point is that because of 1 game, a team can totally rebound when not expected to.