ESPN: Worst Blowouts in Sports History

Mavric

64. Football: Nebraska 84, Minnesota 13

Sept. 17, 1983: The 84 Nebraska hung on Minnesota at the Metrodome in 1983 are the most points the Cornhuskers have ever scored against an FBS opponent and the most points the Gophers have ever allowed. Nebraska racked up 790 yards of total offense with 595 yards coming on the ground on 55 carries. Irving Fryar also had 138 receiving yards on just two catches.

53. Baseball: Nebraska 50, Chicago State 3

March 15, 1999: The score alone makes this a blowout worthy of recognition, as Nebraska set records for runs and margin of victory in an NCAA Division I baseball game. What's even more amazing is the 12-run mercy rule ended the game after 6½ innings, so all the damage was done in six turns at bat. Nebraska led 23-0 before Chicago State managed its first baserunner, and nine of Huskers' 35 hits were home runs.

20. Fiesta Bowl: Nebraska 62, Florida 24

Jan. 2, 1996: Although the Cornhuskers were ranked No. 1 in the nation, few observers predicted the demolition that awaited No. 2 Florida with the national title on the line. Nebraska overwhelmed the Gators by rolling up 524 rushing yards. Tommie Frazier accounted for 304 total yards, and Lawrence Phillips -- controversially reinstated after sitting out six games because of a domestic violence incident -- rushed for three touchdowns. Gators quarterback Danny Wuerffel, who would win the Heisman Trophy the following season, was sacked seven times and had an interception returned for a touchdown.

Link

Wisconsin 70 - Nebraska 31 from 2012 should have made the list. Unranked, five-loss Wisconsin administered an epic beatdown on #14 ranked Nebraska.

I could see this game making the list if it was the 100 biggest blowouts in football history, but in sports history? I personally think this would be a pretty big stretch only because this was a somewhat forgettable game all around. Neither team was great, both teams went on to lose bowl games and it didn't have a big impact on the sport itself. A lot of these blowouts had ramifications far beyond the physical game.

• Fire 2

Wisconsin 70 - Nebraska 31 from 2012 should have made the list. Unranked, five-loss Wisconsin administered an epic beatdown on #14 ranked Nebraska.

I could see this game making the list if it was the 100 biggest blowouts in football history, but in sports history? I personally think this would be a pretty big stretch only because this was a somewhat forgettable game all around. Neither team was great, both teams went on to lose bowl games and it didn't have a big impact on the sport itself. A lot of these blowouts had ramifications far beyond the physical game.

Yeah, that's true. I guess the stakes weren't as high as say, the 96 Fiesta Bowl. I thought the huge margin of victory, combined with the relative low regard for Wisconsin prior to the game, made this one a big shocker. Smaller stage though.