Pass Defense Question

jimk

For those of you more knowledgeable than I what can the coaches do to improve the passing D? I know an elite pass rusher would be huge and a return of the injured backers also. But what kind of schemes could be used to improve the current situation? I don't intend for this to call out certain players or coaches or generally turn into a sh!$show either! What improvements or schemes can help?

Use the boundary more as an extra defender. Jam them in the line of scrimmage. Float a saftey back to help, Gerry has enough speed and ball hawk abilities to do this.

Yep. Use the sideline as an extra defender. Play more press coverage to throw off timing routes and eliminate the 3 step drop quick throws to a spot. Have 1 safety in the box and one high to help the CB out. As mentioned earlier, no team will run 4 vertical routes.

I just hope wa start seeing something in the way of help for the CB's.

I would like to see more physical play at ghe line. As well as more blitzes. More kitchen sink pressure. If youre goin down id like to see us go down swinging puttin the qb on his back in the process instead of getting beat over the top with 7 in coverage.

The lack of a pass rusher wont be eradicated outside of Freedom continuing to get better.

I have always wondered if a secondary was having trouble, maybe more blitzing might help. Yes, one or two less guys in pass coverage isn't good, but if those guys are struggling in pass coverage, maybe chasing the quarterback would be a more productive thing for them to do, although it wouldn't be a cure all for every passing down.

Anyhow, a win is a win and it buys time for people to get healthy and get some experience and get some more coaching without leaving a mark.

Use the boundary more as an extra defender. Jam them in the line of scrimmage. Float a saftey back to help, Gerry has enough speed and ball hawk abilities to do this.

Yep. Use the sideline as an extra defender. Play more press coverage to throw off timing routes and eliminate the 3 step drop quick throws to a spot. Have 1 safety in the box and one high to help the CB out. As mentioned earlier, no team will run 4 vertical routes.

You're describing cover 3 or cover 1 robber defense. The Quarters everyone loves to hate is cover 4.

Like others alluded to, i don't know how likely Banker is philosophically to change his base D at this point. I have a feeling more aggressive corner play will help a lot. I think they're scared of getting burnt deep and that's resulting in the cushion. Pressing at the line would help a lot too. Hopefully, they get more comfortable and start playing less loose.

You're describing cover 3 or cover 1 robber defense. The Quarters everyone loves to hate is cover 4.

Like others alluded to, i don't know how likely Banker is philosophically to change his base D at this point. I have a feeling more aggressive corner play will help a lot. I think they're scared of getting burnt deep and that's resulting in the cushion. Pressing at the line would help a lot too. Hopefully, they get more comfortable and start playing less loose.

This is where the scheme becomes confusing. We give a huge cushion to prevent big plays but consistently get beat not only deep but on short slant and out patterns that turn into 20+ yard gains. Would it really hurt that much to press the receivers at the line?