Answer this truthfully!

eoltmer

Answer the following honestly: Would you view a .600 annual season record were your only loses of the season by less than 7 points each game a success or a failure?

Now would you view a .750 annual season record with your loses being blowouts on a consistent basis a success or failure?

This is the conundrum that this program is at. I don't pretend to know the future but having experience coaching I am willing to give Reily his contract to work towards improving. There is deep underlying issues with this program that will take more than 1 season to cure. I'll watch to see if we can get constant progress this year as the expectations have been lowered by the early losses. The product on the field is what I'll evaluate at seasons end. As always GBR!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't both Florida and Bama blow out top 10 teams tonight?

In all my years, I've never seen a column in the win loss record for blowout losses. I could be seeing things improperly, even though I do have 20/10 vision.

Anyhow, 2 and 3 against unranked teams.

Any way you try to slice that.....it's not good.

We haven't had the answer at head coach since 1997.

I think everyone would agree Frank being fired was a joke. 58-19 record with seasons of 12-1, 10-2, 11-2 (went to NC).

All I want is a conference championship. 16 years is unacceptable

Well. This loss is unacceptable.

I think most would agree on that.

I think everyone would agree Frank being fired was a joke. 58-19 record with seasons of 12-1, 10-2, 11-2 (went to NC).

Frank's record wasn't the problem. His off field issues and lack of recruiting was. If he was as good as we want to think ghe could have been, why is he still at Ohio?
  • Fire 1

Well. This loss is unacceptable.

I think most would agree on that.

Absolutely. This staff is 'just there'. No intensity is concerning.

I had a moment when Riley acted like a 6 year old kid who received a bike with pegs when we stopped them on 4th down in the first quarter. Acted like he was surprised and it was a big deal. Freakin' Illinois

Frank's record wasn't the problem. His off field issues and lack of recruiting was. If he was as good as we want to think ghe could have been, why is he still at Ohio?

Same reason (cough, cough) that Riley was still in Corvallis. Yet we were lucky enough to be the only groom out of hundreds of suitors who could catch his eye.

IMO you are creating a false dichotomy. First, out of the three losses last season one was a blowout, the other two were by one score. So that comparison isn't really apt. Second, there wasn't just the option of accepting the rut we were stuck in or changing regimes. There was a very significant third option. That money we are forking-out for the buyouts could have gone for some staffing changes that would have paid major dividends on the field.

For me the firing yea vs nay got down to the who we get as the replacement. There were guys I was psyched about possibly getting, Riley wasn't one of them. But I think Riley would work if Eichorst didn't sit-back and watch as another succession of buddy-hires are made. Buddy-hires killed BC and BO, those that don't learn from the past are going to repeat it. We need to staff like a power, not make sure all the HC's old buddies has a job. If a prospective HC isn't down with putting the best coaches together period no matter of prior relation then he isn't the guy for us.

I think it comes down to with a new Athletic Director comes a new football coach,

The football team drives the whole athletic departments budget and therefore the AD's fate. So they want THEIR guy, not the previous ADs guy. Frank wasn't Pedey's guy. He had made up his mind before the season even started that he was going to fire him. Hence the contract change from 3 years to 1 for all of his new assistants just prior to the season w/o their consent.

Pelini wasn't Eichorts guy so he was doomed eventually too.

If things get really bad and this AD goes, rinse repeat.

I think it comes down to with a new Athletic Director comes a new football coach,

The football team drives the whole athletic departments budget and therefore the AD's fate. So they want THEIR guy, not the previous ADs guy. Frank wasn't Pedey's guy. He had made up his mind before the season even started that he was going to fire him. Hence the contract change from 3 years to 1 for all of his new assistants just prior to the season w/o their consent.

Pelini wasn't Eichorts guy so he was doomed eventually too.

If things get really bad and this AD goes, rinse repeat.

Callahan wasn't Osborne's guy.

if you are going to pin lack of recruiting on solich then you also have to remember he had one coach that drove a cart that never left the state to recruit, another they didnt let leave the state to recruit, and a third that didnt leave the state to recruit for some other odd known reason. and before anyone says "why didnt he just get rid of those coaches", the uproar he would have had to put up with for letting them go would have been insane. but solich's firing is neither here nor there.

Frank's only off field issue was Steve Pederson. The rest was propaganda spread by the same Steve Pederson. And Frank was a good recruiter. He had top ten classes in 2000 and 2001, and his '04 class was ranked #14 on Rivals the day he was canned.

• Fire 2

Answer the following honestly: Would you view a .600 annual season record were your only loses of the season by less than 7 points each game a success or a failure?

Now would you view a .750 annual season record with your loses being blowouts on a consistent basis a success or failure?

This is the conundrum that this program is at. I don't pretend to know the future but having experience coaching I am willing to give Reily his contract to work towards improving. There is deep underlying issues with this program that will take more than 1 season to cure. I'll watch to see if we can get constant progress this year as the expectations have been lowered by the early losses. The product on the field is what I'll evaluate at seasons end. As always GBR!

Both scenarios are failures. We should be better.

• Fire 1