Riley/Langsdorf's Offense is Callahan 2.0

I was pretty happy with the way that Riley/Langsdorf's offense played the first 4 games. They were a pleasant surprise to me. But, watching yesterday's game showed me that they are Callahan 2.0. The new version has a slight upgrade with jet sweeps and a few QB run calls.

After the offensive coaches got a lot of praise this past week, there were a lot of doubters saying "what will happen when they enter conference play" or "what will happen when the weather turns poor". Well, we saw it on full display yesterday. Illinois' defense isn't even that good, but Riley and Langsdorf thought it would be a great idea to chuck it around all day with an inaccurate passer. What a complete joke. The only thing that kept NU in the lead for so long was Illinois' own incompetence on the offensive side of the ball.

• Fire 1

I find it comical that people use Callahan and Cozgrove as their examples of poor offense and defense when Bill's offense was better than Frank's or Bo's and Bo's defenses put of 7 of the top 10 worst performances in school history. That doesn't mean that Bill/Coz didn't suck but I find it funny that just because TO picked Frank and Bo that they get a pass. When the truth is that all three sucked (with most of the blame going to Frank for putting us in this situation in the first place) and it isn't looking good for this staff at the present time either.

• Fire 1

Up until this game I didn't really have to much of a problem with the offensive strategy/play calling, but I do not agree with the title of this thread.

Callahan's offense was infamously more complex. Less willing to adjust to the talents of the returning players and struggled right out of the gate (aside from the W.Illinois game) regardless of the weather and arguably deep into his second season. I'm not saying This offense isn't similar. It is rooted in West Coast.

I like Riley, but as I feared I'm afraid he's turning into the next Doc Sadler, a guy I really like and can root for, but just can't get it done.

If you're going to go on 4th, why not run it on 3rd? Where was Newby? Who is this Zigbo guy? Why was DPE out for the first punt and only a screen pass? Did we force him in before he was ready? I wish we'd run more north and south instead of east/west.

I know the whole state is jacked that we keep giving it to Andy, but is he REALLY the best guy to give it to on the last 10ish plays of the game? etc etc.

I find it comical that people use Callahan and Cozgrove as their examples of poor offense and defense when Bill's offense was better than Frank's or Bo's and Bo's defenses put of 7 of the top 10 worst performances in school history. That doesn't mean that Bill/Coz didn't suck but I find it funny that just because TO picked Frank and Bo that they get a pass. When the truth is that all three sucked (with most of the blame going to Frank for putting us in this situation in the first place) and it isn't looking good for this staff at the present time either.

No, Pelini and Solich do not get a "pass" because Osborne picked them. They ran the ball. Pelini listened to Osborne's advice. Riley and Callahan have different philosophies offensively. Don't deflect from this junk of an offensive philosophy that Riley has.

What?

Solich's offenses at Nebraska scored an average of 4 points per game more than Callahan's. And about 10% of Callahan's points were scored in the last 3 minutes of games that were already decided. Take those away and Solich's offenses were a full TD per game better.

And W/L record is what counts. That's why people use these guys as examples. Frank and Bo had really good W/L records. Callahan and Riley do not.

I was pretty happy with the way that Riley/Langsdorf's offense played the first 4 games. They were a pleasant surprise to me. But, watching yesterday's game showed me that they are Callahan 2.0.

I laughed out loud at that. That right there is funny.

I think I saw Beck on the sideline. No way Langsdorf is that stupid is he?

53e59b4d86268.image.jpg?resize=1024%2C88

I've been on this all season. I'd love to see these stats for the entire year. I've maintained that most of our "struggles" running the ball are because we simply run an inside zone play straight ahead - no misdirection - into seven or eight guys in the box. There is simply very little room to run and no margin for error when you do that. When we are actually the slightest bit creative with our running game, it works pretty well.

I've been on this all season. I'd love to see these stats for the entire year. I've maintained that most of our "struggles" running the ball are because we simply run an inside zone play straight ahead - no misdirection - into seven or eight guys in the box. There is simply very little room to run and no margin for error when you do that. When we are actually the slightest bit creative with our running game, it works pretty well.

I blame most of that on the o-line, we get no push what so ever. That is why we can't convert a third and one. Working the edges gives the back a chance to find a hole.

So...they need to "get cuter"? :D

I will say, that toss sweep with Ozigbo looked real fine. That guy looks like a Nebraska RB.

According to my calculations that is 8.6 yards a carry when going outside the tackle box. Langsdorf and Riley you want your consistency in the running game there it is. Remember in the preseason how they hired that analytics guy? I'm guessing we just don't use him

I blame most of that on the o-line, we get no push what so ever. That is why we can't convert a third and one. Working the edges gives the back a chance to find a hole.

It's hard to get outside the tackle box unless the o-line is doing their job. Otherwise your getting hit in the backfield more often than not. We will convert more 3rd downs when the coaching staff realizes you can actually run the ball on third down

So...they need to "get cuter"? :D

I will say, that toss sweep with Ozigbo looked real fine. That guy looks like a Nebraska RB.

I realize you were joking but I'd say more "play like the 2010s instead of the 1930s."