Oct. 6th Practice Report (OWH)

zoogs

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/practice-report-oct-nu-settling-into-a-three-back-rotation/article_93181016-6c80-11e5-b9a4-7322355597b8.html

It was Janovich and Ozigbo who were on the field for Nebraska's second-to-last possession, when the Huskers were trying to run out the clock. Said Langsdorf: "Those two, and mix it up with Terrell on some situations I think (it's) a good mix."

>> More Ozigbo, dishing on Wisconsin, Illinois deep ball retrospective, and DPE plans (don't expect too much right away).

• Fire 1

Devine Ozibgo - 2015's Brandon Jackson.

Haven't gone back and watched the game again because it would prolly pain me too much, but did he have the burst that Jackson did? I know he had the long run for a TD and another in the 4th I guess I was celebrating too much to really pay attention

His TD was about 19 yards long. He seemed to have a step. Then he had a good run in the 4th, I believe.

It's difficult to say just how good he is. But he is the only RB we had that has been able to get through the opening and get up field. So that has to account for something.

Haven't gone back and watched the game again because it would prolly pain me too much, but did he have the burst that Jackson did? I know he had the long run for a TD and another in the 4th I guess I was celebrating too much to really pay attention

He had a nice burst, but more importantly he was decisive and didn't hesitate. Both he and Janovich do that. Newby and Cross don't. Cross takes too much time to get going and has crappy balance and vision. Newby is indecisive and dances too much. He is always looking for the big run. Big runs come from doing the stuff that is important to get the 5 yard run. Newby is a third down back.

• Fire 4

His TD was about 19 yards long. He seemed to have a step. Then he had a good run in the 4th, I believe.

It's difficult to say just how good he is. But he is the only RB we had that has been able to get through the opening and get up field. So that has to account for something.

Makes you wonder what a healthy and in shape Jordan Stevenson might have looked like

He didn't look quite like Bjax, but he didn't have the same OL plowing the way for him, either. They really tried running a power off tackle run with him-- think a stretch play-- that was mostly well-blocked. He had his TD run on this type of play. I'd love to see more of this if our OL can block it well. It'd sate the portion of the fanbase that yearns for more power run game. It's essentially one of the hallmark plays Wisconsin just hammers opponents with.

Disappointed in the explanation of the deep shots though. I know Lang isn't in the business of making himself look foolish, but we could all tell there were some very near misses Saturday that could've been splash plays. Most fans are questioning the wisdom of that approach in the first place.

He didn't look quite like Bjax, but he didn't have the same OL plowing the way for him, either. They really tried running a power off tackle run with him-- think a stretch play-- that was mostly well-blocked. He had his TD run on this type of play. I'd love to see more of this if our OL can block it well. It'd sate the portion of the fanbase that yearns for more power run game. It's essentially one of the hallmark plays Wisconsin just hammers opponents with.

Disappointed in the explanation of the deep shots though. I know Lang isn't in the business of making himself look foolish, but we could all tell there were some very near misses Saturday that could've been splash plays. Most fans are questioning the wisdom of that approach in the first place.

I expect to have near misses on long pass plays when it is windy. I expect this much more than success. That is why I don't like the play calls Lang :(

• Fire 1

I just think we need to cut down on the FB carries. J's not a feature back who should be pushing fifteen carries a game. Set it up with lots of fakes and surprise them, sure, but it was one of the head-scratchers last weekend. Fan service?

Actually about 5 of those carries for Janovich were out of single back formations. He is a good back. He is not going to break off a 50 yard run too often, but will get at least a couple yards every time.

I just think we need to cut down on the FB carries. J's not a feature back who should be pushing fifteen carries a game. Set it up with lots of fakes and surprise them, sure, but it was one of the head-scratchers last weekend. Fan service?

It reminds me a little about how Green Bay used John Kuhn that one year when they were effectively out of reliable RBs to lean on. It wasn't big on style or stats, but Kuhn was a solid player who ground out the yards for them.

Think this goes to show how much faith they have in Newby as a runner. Of course it also speaks to Jano's impressiveness.

I like the rare use of the FB quick hitter too, but this isn't fan service so much as leaning on anything that works.

Exactly what I said to a group of guys talking about the game yesterday. Shows me that MR is so unsure of how to win that he figures he'll at least try to keep the fans happy by handing-off to Jano as much as possible, even when we all knew he shouldn't get the ball in some of those situations, especially the sweep play...it was a pathetic attempt at pandering to the fan-base. I don't care who gets the ball as long as we win, and that is the only thing that will keep everyone happy.

Exactly what I said to a group of guys talking about the game yesterday. Shows me that MR is so unsure of how to win that he figures he'll at least try to keep the fans happy by handing-off to Jano as much as possible, even when we all knew he shouldn't get the ball in some of those situations, especially the sweep play...it was a pathetic attempt at pandering to the fan-base. I don't care who gets the ball as long as we win, and that is the only thing that will keep everyone happy.

If that's what that was, it's a huge mistake. Bo tried to do that by running the Option several times. It was window-dressing and would always remain so unless they devoted many practice hours to it - something they weren't willing to do.

Too many fans think "Things will be OK if we just run the Option ten times a game like Tom Osborne used to back in the day," but that brief sense of nostalgia doesn't win games. Doing what you're good at - that wins games. Janovich is many things, but a sweep... not his forte.

• Fire 2