Previous Staff Members in Contact with Current Players

To add to what teachercd said:

Michigan and Florida stunk last year. Those players were welcoming a change for the most part. Nebraska won 9 games last year and had their coach fired when no one saw it coming. Start this season off with a loss to BYU in front of a home packed stadium and already are listening to how bad the team looks, coaches stink and more negative thoughts from it seems everybody in the state and former coaches, not a winning atmosphere!

Michigan and Florida each hired the best available coaching candidates, where as Nebraska got on paper, a coach who could bring back together the fanbase and the program to a better image. This move wasn't about winning as much as it was about bringing Nebraska football and the fanbase to a better place. I think the thought was if Bo could win 9 games per year, be a buttonhole, surely Riley will equal that plus bring back some respect. It is not to late for that to happen. Will that happen? Tough road to follow right now, but in all reality this team could win 8 games, play in a decent bowl and depending on recruiting, be really good next year.

I would rather see a team play BYU, Miami and others in the non-con over Western Illinois, South Dakato ST, Mcneese State, ETC. BYU is a really good team, but has played maybe one of the toughest scheds in the nation to this point. They went into Michigan and were physically beat up and got blown out, but still they have earned some respect with the schedule they played.

Bo played small sure fire winnable non-con games that would almost guarantee a 3-1 start or even a 4-0 start. But don't kid yourself, he was always 5-3 or 6-3 entering November as well. There is chance that Nebraska this year could enter November 7-3 or at worst 6-4. Northwestern being maybe the toughest game until we play Michigan St. . I truly can see this team going 8-4 or 7-5 at the worst. 8-4 sounds and looks alot better than 7-5, but don't forget minus one cream puff in the non-con this could the identical record that most would have picked Bo to have this year as well. At least if Riles can beat a top 10 or even a Top 20 team, he has done something that BO couldn't do.

Listening to the podcast...yeah, this is a real dick move by certain members of the previous staff if they're being negative about current staff.

Then again...this issue wouldn't have reared it's head had the current coaching staff put the kids in a position to succeed. Not saying it's right, just saying it wouldn't happen if the team was winning games they should be winning.

I wouldn't get all worked up over this unless and until there is real proof of actual wrongdoing. Just because the radio trolls on USC say they "know from someone connected to the program" is not proof. Kind of funny how people are ready to swallow rumors from the radio but if someone came on here and made that claim they'd get curb-stomped for not providing a quotable source. :bs:

Pretty much this. While I like listening to USC, you need to consider the source. John and Josh have been calling for Bo to be fired for years. Just prior to the 5 o'clock break on Monday, John admitted that he had a personal axe to grind with Bo.

If the team saw the new staff as strong leaders and great coaches, this wouldn't be an issue. The team doesn't want to fail. I'd say that the poor leadership and coaching they've received so far has had a much bigger influence.

Oh, and listen to the Sharpe and Benning podcasts from this morning. DB debunked this rumor.

I havn't heard the rumor about former coaches contacting the players. But on 93.7 the Ticket I head that players were tweeting out Bolieve after the Illinois game.

Former player, Leroy Alexander tweeted it. He plays for BO now. Some players currently with Nebraska also retweeted it. It was talked about in another thread.

I havn't heard the rumor about former coaches contacting the players. But on 93.7 the Ticket I head that players were tweeting out Bolieve after the Illinois game.

Former player, Leroy Alexander tweeted it. He plays for BO now. Some players currently with Nebraska also retweeted it. It was talked about in another thread.

thank you for the info, I didn't read that thread.

Forget the possibility of direct ex-coach interference for the moment.

If there are indeed talent deficiencies on this team (there are), and some starters who probably shouldn't have been starters (yep), and some potentially better players who had been overlooked (those, too), along with a bunch of young, unproven entities, and the new staff begins to make those in-season evaluations and adjustments, it means some veteran players will be losing their entitlement and possibly riding the bench.

They will understandably hate this change. They liked it better before. With the other coach.

So now you have veteran "leaders" with a reason to undermine the coaches judgement. They could be cool about it. Or not. They could create a toxic environment without intending to. The fact is, the team still needs them.

If they need a shoulder to cry on, or someone to validate their anger, the ex-coaching staff is not likely to talk them out of it.

If some in the ex-coaching staff are thin-skinned and retribution-minded, they might enjoy making a toxic stew of Nebraska football.

Who are we kidding? Of course they would.

Not saying they are.

But given the chance to give a final speech to his team, and to send the young men he led into an uncertain future, Bo Pelini suggested it would be wiser to work at McDonald's than play for the c**t who fired him. The c**t who will still be there next season. According to Bo, there was no one else who believed in these players, certainly not the fans and the state that Bo blamed for everything. It wasn't clear if he wanted them to win the Holiday Bowl.

Even if this miserable little prick isn't actively sabotaging the team, his legacy lives on.

I had hoped Mike Riley would fix everything immediately. I thought it was going to be Morning in America again.

It might not be that simple.

I remain extremely curious about the rest of this season, and already looking forward to next year, when some of the talent returns, some of it doesn't, and some of it arrives fresh and melodrama free.

Edited by BIGREDIOWAN
Please don't circumvent the swear filter, thanks
  • Fire 1