Take down the banners inside the practice facilities?

Kernal

Would taking down the Banners inside the Practice Facitlities...  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would taking down the banners inside the practice facilities help the program, hurt the program, or make no difference?

Jason Peter was on 93.7 “The Ticket-” a Lincoln radio station- today talking about Husker Football. (Link here: Jason Peter gives a harsh look at the state of the Huskers). They talked some about the “former staff member stirring the pot with players,” whom he identified as Kaz, but also discussed the program in general.

Jason was blunt, as usual, but one thing in particular he talked about piqued my curiousity:

“That’s disappointing when he talks about, you know, he plays for himself, and his teammates, and the coaches, and you know, he forgot one group of people. Because without those people who wear read and white, and go out and buy everything Husker gear, do you know who you are? You’re a below average team that puts 25-32,000 fans in your stadium on a Saturday afternoon. You’re Illinois- that’s who you are… the team that just beat you. That’s who you are… wake up and smell the coffee!

"You know, I don’t know what [Husker players] think or how they envision themselves. Maybe it’s because, you know, down on the practice field you got the banners: “Five National Championships!” Thirty- however many conference championships… None of those are your’s, buddy. Were any of those guys out there playing? They should take ‘em down and remind them who they actually are. You’re a sub-.500 team who the only thing you have going for yourself is that you play at Nebraska and that you have the greatest fans in the world… that come out and support you every Saturday. Because if you were at Illinois, you’d have 23,000 people showing up this weekend.

"I mean, that’s the reality. They need some reality. And that’s where I think Riley should have come in and just laid down the law. And said “This is the way it’s going to be.” But you know, you give kids an inch who, you know, have been told how great they are forever, you know, they’re going to take a yard."

Anyway, that got me thinking how easy it would be to get so immersed in the Nebraska Football history surrounding me all day every day that I might adopt that persona without ever having to actually accomplish those things myself. Not a knock on the players, just a question about motivation.

• Fire 5

The team understands the situation. No need for any symbolic gestures, like taking the banners down. Besides, those banners probably have more meaning for us, the fans, than for 90% of the team. (Exception: Guys like Gangwish and Bando who grew up following the Huskers.)

I get why he says it. I feel it's mostly out of frustration though. We aren't going to barricade off the trophy room until we win another title are we?

I don't think you throw them out or anything, or bar players from looking at them- just maybe don't have them everywhere. I was just curious if people thought players starting off the season in an empty practice facility, just as the season itself starts out empty of awards and accolodes, could perhaps be beneficial.

I get why he says it. I feel it's mostly out of frustration though. We aren't going to barricade off the trophy room until we win another title are we?

I don't think you throw them out or anything, or bar players from looking at them- just maybe don't have them everywhere. I was just curious if people thought players starting off the season in an empty practice facility, just as the season itself starts out empty of awards and accolodes, could perhaps be beneficial.

I don't disagree that we could do with less accolades all over the place, but to do it to deny the players, as JP suggests, is asinine.

Just like waiting to hand out the blackshirts until they've earned it

I don't disagree that we could do with less accolades all over the place, but to do it to deny the players, as JP suggests, is asinine.

Just like waiting to hand out the blackshirts until they've earned it

Jason wasn't saying to do it to punish players, he suggested it because players "need some reality." I would be 100% against doing it as a punishment.

Would taking down the banners inside the practice facilities help the program, hurt the program, or make no difference?

Jason Peter was on 93.7 The Ticket- a Lincoln radio station- today talking about Husker Football. (Link here: Jason Peter gives a harsh look at the state of the Huskers). They talked some about the former staff member stirring the pot with players, whom he identified as Kaz, but also discussed the program in general.

Jason was blunt, as usual, but one thing in particular he talked about piqued my curiousity:

Thats disappointing when he talks about, you know, he plays for himself, and his teammates, and the coaches, and you know, he forgot one group of people. Because without those people who wear read and white, and go out and buy everything Husker gear, do you know who you are? Youre a below average team that puts 25-32,000 fans in your stadium on a Saturday afternoon. Youre Illinois- thats who you are the team that just beat you. Thats who you are wake up and smell the coffee!

"You know, I dont know what [Husker players] think or how they envision themselves. Maybe its because, you know, down on the practice field you got the banners: Five National Championships! Thirty- however many conference championships None of those are yours, buddy. Were any of those guys out there playing? They should take em down and remind them who they actually are. Youre a sub-.500 team who the only thing you have going for yourself is that you play at Nebraska and that you have the greatest fans in the world that come out and support you every Saturday. Because if you were at Illinois, youd have 23,000 people showing up this weekend.

"I mean, thats the reality. They need some reality. And thats where I think Riley should have come in and just laid down the law. And said This is the way its going to be. But you know, you give kids an inch who, you know, have been told how great they are forever, you know, theyre going to take a yard."

Anyway, that got me thinking how easy it would be to get so immersed in the Nebraska Football history surrounding me all day every day that I might adopt that persona without ever having to actually accomplish those things myself. Not a knock on the players, just a question about motivation.

I don't fault the kids if they don't respect the fans. The former coaching staff wanted a rift between the fans and the team. Bo did not embrace the fans and made everything an us vs them situation. In my opinion taking the banners down won't hurt or help because the tradition doesn't seem to mean anything to them.
  • Fire 1

I disagree with the entire premise of JP's rant. He is suggesting that the reason the players lost to Illinois is that they are too entitled and lazy

I don't think his rant was about the loss to Illinois specifically, but the play in general over the last several years. But I do think "entitled" is an accurate description of what JP is suggesting is the problem.

• Fire 1

I disagree with the entire premise of JP's rant. He is suggesting that the reason the players lost to Illinois is that they are too entitled and lazy

I don't think his rant was about the loss to Illinois specifically, but the play in general over the last several years. But I do think "entitled" is an accurate description of what JP is suggesting is the problem.

I like how JP thinks the solution to our problem is to take down banners. We take down the banners and all of a sudden we win our remaining games. I don't think motivation is the problem and I don't think our players think they're any more "entitled" than any other current college football athlete. These players know full well that none of Nebraska's 5 national championships or 40+ conference championships were won by them. These players know full well that Nebraska hasn't won a conference title in this millennium. Taking down the banners is going to do nothing positive, imo.

• Fire 1

Leave the banners alone. If this is truly a problem, removing banners will not fix that attitude. I can't believe these players, or any for quite a few years, could actually believe they are anything extra special because of what others did over 15 years ago. If anything, maybe it will remind them to work that much harder because they have a LONG way to go to deserve any recognition of their own.

• Fire 1

Those banners attracted the 2* recruits Riley is targeting.

DPE was a 2 star... And Riley isn't recruiting any.

According to Rivals Nebraska has the #39 recruiting class..

There isn't many open spots left on this '16 class, so I don't see a dramatic jump in recruiting. Most of our recruits are 3* and I don't see any top level talent recruit we are targeting. You're right in the fact Riley isn't recruiting many 2*, but we have one commit who is a 2*. But I think we can both agree star gazing is somewhat silly.

Basically MR is going after the same kids he went after at OSU.

We are getting absolutely owned on the recruiting trail.