Longhorns' struggles, as told by opposing coaches

zoogs

http://www.campusrush.com/charlie-strong-texas-longhorns-struggles-1394976670.html

Another look at a struggling year 2 coach at a major program.

They point the finger at Brown and his former staff for the lack of talented upperclassmen and an attitude of entitlement that's resulted in public clashes with younger players recruited by Strong.

"In two years, Charlie could not have f----- that place up," a coach tells The Inside Read. "It was already f---- up before."

"Mack knew the s--- going on, he just didn't want to own up to it," another coach says. "He knows what he left."

They're just not nearly as talented as they used to be," a coach says.

All of this seems reasonable to me. In spite of recruiting and Mack's early successes.

That's why many coaches still can't believe Strong was able to will the Longhorns to a 67 record last season that included a loss to Arkansas in the Texas Bowl.

Wow, what? Last statement is a little odd.

A lot of people thought Mack Brown should have replaced Solich.

Maybe he should have, too. It's possible to be a good coach for a while and then lose your way, I guess. Brown isn't the first well-regarded (at least at one time) head coach to have left a mess for his successor. Lloyd Carr comes to mind. And sometimes, coaches who don't produce on the field leave quite nice situations behind.

A lot of people thought Mack Brown should have replaced Solich.

Maybe he should have, too. It's possible to be a good coach for a while and then lose your way, I guess. Brown isn't the first well-regarded (at least at one time) head coach to have left a mess for his successor. Lloyd Carr comes to mind. And sometimes, coaches who don't produce on the field leave quite nice situations behind.

Like Brady Hoke. It's amazing how rare a well-rounded (good at recruiting and coaching) coach is to find these days.

• Fire 1

Mack Brown was a damn good coach, but I think he'll go down in the annals of history as being pretty overrated.

Despite never having to step foot out of his state for recruiting and getting top 5 classes yearly, the only thing that ever got him a ring was a demi-god at quarterback, and the number of good but not elite years they had shows that he always did the least with the most.

• Fire 1