You can't fire a coach after 1 year, but you certainly can after 2. We miss a bowl next year and we should start a $6m go fund me to get Herman here and Riley out of his contract. I'm half kidding.

You can't fire a coach after 1 year, but you certainly can after 2. We miss a bowl next year and we should start a $6m go fund me to get Herman here and Riley out of his contract. I'm half kidding

IF we don't make a bowl this year, and even if we win 6-7 games next year, i'd be fine with moving on.

Honestly, I don't see the issue with just accepting the bad decision and moving on now because we all know we will be moving on in a year or two from now and will just have to begin the rebuilding process AGAIN. So why not accept the mistake, admit this as a lost season and start rebuilding now.

SE can simply come out and say, "Look folks, I made a mistake, I apologize, but I am not going to allow Nebraska football to be Purdue"

It's like any scandal, you always look so much better in the media if you just come out and admit it first rather then deny deny deny. I'd have so much more respect for the guy if he did come out and admit his mistake and take action, rather then trying to hide this awful wart for 2-3 years and the agree it was a mistake.

The longer we have this, the deeper we dig our hole.

I believe Southern Miss did this a couple years ago with the coach that led them to 0-12. Only thing we can pray for is that USC makes Riley an offer he can't refuse and he takes it. What has happened here has been an absolute train wreck so far.

USC is NOT going to offer Riley. Who in their right mind would hire Riley after the debacle he's created here, and they way he was on the verge of getting run out of Oregon State....USC offered Riley a HC job almost 20 years ago, they realize Riley is now approaching mid 60s and well past his prime. Plus his overall coaching record is 2 games below .500.....................And if Southern Miss did this, I have already forgotten they did such a thing.

Also, I can't think of any other job where you can consistently under perform for 8 weeks and not get talked to or get the risk of losing your job.

Man, if I went to work for 8 straight weeks of just under performing I am sure I would have been talked to several times by management, and probably would have never seen week 8.

We're on the same team here. I completely agree its better to rip the bandaid off instead of slowly taking it off bit by bit. But it just isn't how college coaching works these days. What're we Kansas? We'd be paying 2 coaches upwards of 7 million dollars a year to NOT coach Nebraska. Just won't happen.

What we really need is someone "not affiliated with the program" to go to Herman privately and tell him that if Riley does not perform in year 2 that the job is his.

I'd take Herman. Unfortunately, by the time Riley is let go, Herman will have already landed a big-time gig.

There'll be other coaching candidates. There always are.

Let's get through the Riley years -- if he's good, there'll be many of them; if he's not, there'll be about 4. Restore some of Nebraska's class and image and then either way, try to hit a home run next time. It doesn't exactly look like a home run currently, but it also doesn't mean there won't be relatively successful seasons in the future.

• Fire 2

You can't fire a coach after 1 year, but you certainly can after 2. We miss a bowl next year and we should start a $6m go fund me to get Herman here and Riley out of his contract. I'm half kidding.

You can't fire a coach after 1 year, but you certainly can after 2. We miss a bowl next year and we should start a $6m go fund me to get Herman here and Riley out of his contract. I'm half kidding

IF we don't make a bowl this year, and even if we win 6-7 games next year, i'd be fine with moving on.

Honestly, I don't see the issue with just accepting the bad decision and moving on now because we all know we will be moving on in a year or two from now and will just have to begin the rebuilding process AGAIN. So why not accept the mistake, admit this as a lost season and start rebuilding now.

SE can simply come out and say, "Look folks, I made a mistake, I apologize, but I am not going to allow Nebraska football to be Purdue"

It's like any scandal, you always look so much better in the media if you just come out and admit it first rather then deny deny deny. I'd have so much more respect for the guy if he did come out and admit his mistake and take action, rather then trying to hide this awful wart for 2-3 years and the agree it was a mistake.

The longer we have this, the deeper we dig our hole.

I believe Southern Miss did this a couple years ago with the coach that led them to 0-12. Only thing we can pray for is that USC makes Riley an offer he can't refuse and he takes it. What has happened here has been an absolute train wreck so far.

USC is NOT going to offer Riley. Who in their right mind would hire Riley after the debacle he's created here, and they way he was on the verge of getting run out of Oregon State....USC offered Riley a HC job almost 20 years ago, they realize Riley is now approaching mid 60s and well past his prime. Plus his overall coaching record is 2 games below .500.....................And if Southern Miss did this, I have already forgotten they did such a thing.

Also, I can't think of any other job where you can consistently under perform for 8 weeks and not get talked to or get the risk of losing your job.

Man, if I went to work for 8 straight weeks of just under performing I am sure I would have been talked to several times by management, and probably would have never seen week 8.

We're on the same team here. I completely agree its better to rip the bandaid off instead of slowly taking it off bit by bit. But it just isn't how college coaching works these days. What're we Kansas? We'd be paying 2 coaches upwards of 7 million dollars a year to NOT coach Nebraska. Just won't happen.

What we really need is someone "not affiliated with the program" to go to Herman privately and tell him that if Riley does not perform in year 2 that the job is his.

I would like to think we have some boosters who could help just pay off some of the debt.

OR how about a strong push to have Riley retire. Knowing Riley from Oregon State, I can't imagine he is use to this atmosphere and scrutiny. He had a comfortable job at Oregon State, it was laid back, and he could do whatever he wanted, and produce whatever record was fit. He never got questioned, he never got any heat.

He walked into a lions den. Although I would like to think he knew what he was getting himself into, I don't think he really knew what he was getting himself into. Being his age, near the end of your coaching career, and coming from a place where you had it all and could do no wrong, and enter this fire pit..? I'd just pack my bags and say, "Thanks, but no thanks".

• Fire 1

The damage is done already. This is the issue with having expectations. Sure Riley could come out next year start 6-0 an look great, but surely would lose to Wisky and Iowa and lose the Big 10 west, and here we go again with Bo like deal. We will give him another year that year we go 8-4, but win against a few decent teams, lose against the ranked ones. One more year is given, because of some promise in younger players, once again were 9-3 and still not playing for the West title...........this is the issue I have with keeping a coach that clearly can't get it done. I would have settle for 8-4 for this with our losses coming to Michigan St, Miami, BYU and Wisky. Losing to NW, Illinois should not happen. We should be 5-3 at worst. This is what I looked at in the preseason. Those 4 losses would have been manageable. Iowa being a surprise might have been acceptable if they are for real, but still those would be all losses with some hope in the future.

When you lose to teams like Illinois, NW and a Wisky team that isn't anywhere near what it was, your failing to reach your potential. Like I said, the Wisky loss preseason was acceptable in some means, but after seeing them more and more, they are not a really good squad. Regardless, the reason, I can find reasons to defend Riley, but none are legit. Sure we can say that Bo had Ameer and Randy G who were game changers, but really two players don't define a 22 man squad, do they!

5-3 isn't a grand record by any means, but just think if we were 5-3 right now! There would be some hope at least for a West title yet wouldn't there be? Chance to play for something anyway. Right now there is nothing but pride, and frankly this bunch hasn't really proven that playing for pride is even a priority.

Let me retract on this for a split second, Northwestern is a good team that has beaten currently ranked teams, and is playing better than last year, no disrespect to them. That is also why this is more irritating as well. They have beaten good teams, and we should have beaten them today, and pissed away another game passing the ball 49 times. Throwing a pick 6 for what ends up being the difference.

In the day, you could count on Nebraska winning home games. Home games are and should be a given. Home losses to BYU, Wisky, and now Northwestern. Home teams win the close games, not lose them! No more excuses. Absolutely no more.

Sure our talent level isn't top 20, but neither is the teams that are beating us. The coaches of these teams are not outstanding coaches, or recruiters. This isn't the PAC 12, where your a Beavers team that loses to the Ducks, USC, and Stanford, and you can say that those teams were just better all around. We have n't even played those kind of teams yet!

I draw the line at Purdue or Rutgers. We lose either one of these games, we have to go in another direction. Have too!

• Fire 2

I'd take Herman. Unfortunately, by the time Riley is let go, Herman will have already landed a big-time gig.

There'll be other coaching candidates. There always are.

Let's get through the Riley years -- if he's good, there'll be many of them; if he's not, there'll be about 4. Restore some of Nebraska's class and image and then either way, try to hit a home run next time. It doesn't exactly look like a home run currently, but it also doesn't mean there won't be relatively successful seasons in the future.

4 years zoogs? C'mon, seriously think about this...by the time Riley gets this thing going (if he does) he'll be ready to retire...bad hire in the first place, lets just part ways and throw money at Herman. Blank Check.

• Fire 3

beavis-approves-19283-1328418183-120.jpg

Fire Tom Herman before he's even hired! That's how Nebraska does business! Hell ya!

Tom Herman actually has long term potential wherever his next stop is. Riley is just an old man padding his retirement account.

Riley is?

Well I'll be.....

We better fire him. Its the only logical thing to do. I wish we'd have known that about him before we hired him. You must be pretty close to the situation to claim that knowledge.

The only thing that sucks is Herman is a guaranteed great coach. He's not going to be available for long. Much like McElwain.

Nebraska needs to cut it's losses now because were not getting Herman if we wait. He'll be at South Carolina, or Miami.

Then, Nebraska will be stuck in limbo again because there won't be any sure fire candidates available and we'll have to resort to taking a risk (Frost).

The damage is done already. This is the issue with having expectations. Sure Riley could come out next year start 6-0 an look great, but surely would lose to Wisky and Iowa and lose the Big 10 west, and here we go again with Bo like deal. We will give him another year that year we go 8-4, but win against a few decent teams, lose against the ranked ones. One more year is given, because of some promise in younger players, once again were 9-3 and still not playing for the West title...........this is the issue I have with keeping a coach that clearly can't get it done. I would have settle for 8-4 for this with our losses coming to Michigan St, Miami, BYU and Wisky. Losing to NW, Illinois should not happen. We should be 5-3 at worst. This is what I looked at in the preseason. Those 4 losses would have been manageable. Iowa being a surprise might have been acceptable if they are for real, but still those would be all losses with some hope in the future.

When you lose to teams like Illinois, NW and a Wisky team that isn't anywhere near what it was, your failing to reach your potential. Like I said, the Wisky loss preseason was acceptable in some means, but after seeing them more and more, they are not a really good squad. Regardless, the reason, I can find reasons to defend Riley, but none are legit. Sure we can say that Bo had Ameer and Randy G who were game changers, but really two players don't define a 22 man squad, do they!

5-3 isn't a grand record by any means, but just think if we were 5-3 right now! There would be some hope at least for a West title yet wouldn't there be? Chance to play for something anyway. Right now there is nothing but pride, and frankly this bunch hasn't really proven that playing for pride is even a priority.

Let me retract on this for a split second, Northwestern is a good team that has beaten currently ranked teams, and is playing better than last year, no disrespect to them. That is also why this is more irritating as well. They have beaten good teams, and we should have beaten them today, and pissed away another game passing the ball 49 times. Throwing a pick 6 for what ends up being the difference.

In the day, you could count on Nebraska winning home games. Home games are and should be a given. Home losses to BYU, Wisky, and now Northwestern. Home teams win the close games, not lose them! No more excuses. Absolutely no more.

Sure our talent level isn't top 20, but neither is the teams that are beating us. The coaches of these teams are not outstanding coaches, or recruiters. This isn't the PAC 12, where your a Beavers team that loses to the Ducks, USC, and Stanford, and you can say that those teams were just better all around. We have n't even played those kind of teams yet!

I draw the line at Purdue or Rutgers. We lose either one of these games, we have to go in another direction. Have too!

At this point, we have to be honest with ourselves and admit that we aren't as good as say Wisconsin. They are at least as depleted as we are this year and found a way to beat us in our house. We haven't played near their level since we joined the conference. I don't think we should be comparing our program today with the Badgers, Spartans, Buckeyes, Nittany Lions or Wolverines. I just don't. Even Iowa and Northwestern have had success recently, at least as much as we have.

We aren't succeeding in this conference. I think we ran away from Texas into an even worse situation. How are we going to recruit now? Our tradition? The kids we are recruiting weren't born when we were dominant. We don't get the extra practice and bowl exposure and have been passed by in our conference.

The solution, in my opinion, certainly isn't to create a swiftly revolving door in our coaching staff. The marquee coaches already have dropped us from their radar. That would make it worse, much worse.

If you hire a guy, you give him time. That's how it works. 3 years if they're all pretty bad, 4 years is more standard. Plus/minus with off field issues, other considerations, etc.

It lets the next coach know he'll get the same treatment.

You can't recruit players if they think the coaches won't be there. That's the bottom line. Idiots calling for a coaching change are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy where Riley won't be able succeed.