If you hire a guy, you give him time. That's how it works. 3 years if they're all pretty bad, 4 years is more standard. Plus/minus with off field issues, other considerations, etc.

It lets the next coach know he'll get the same treatment.

You can't recruit players if they think the coaches won't be there. That's the bottom line. Idiots calling for a coaching change are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy where Riley won't be able succeed.

Quick question. I hear about how recruiting is so much better. Guys want to play for Riley.......

With this in mind, how are these guys any "better" than those who would want to play for Riley in Corvalis. He got "his" kids there also and was a .500 coach...... So why are "better" athletes now flocking to him here.

I really don't see him getting better kids here than at OSU. For the record, from 2010-2014, OSU only had 2% of the kids listed were blue chip meaning 4 or 5*. NU for the same time period had 30% and was 3rd in the B1G..........

If kids really want to play for Riley, wouldn't they have gone to Corvallis?

If you hire a guy, you give him time. That's how it works. 3 years if they're all pretty bad, 4 years is more standard. Plus/minus with off field issues, other considerations, etc.

You can't recruit players if they think the coaches won't be there. That's the bottom line. Idiots calling for a coaching change are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy where Riley won't be able succeed.

What level of "succeed" are you talking about? I was skeptical from the beginning about this hire the minute it was announced. I also bought in giving him the benefit of the doubt due to the new resources he'd have in Lincoln. I'm sorry but the notion that anyone could coach this team to 9 wins has finally been proven to be false because apparently Riley can't.

I still believe there is plenty of talent on this roster and it has FAR FAR more talent than the 2004 squad that Callahan was able to get to 5-7 with. I know its not the same playing field with schedule and all that crap but I mean the fact that we don't have another guaranteed "W" on the schedule makes, IMO, 3-9/4-8 a very fireable circumstance.

I don't care about scheme, and square peg/round holes, GOOD COACHING PRODUCES WINS REGARDLESS OF TALENT.

Look at Harbaugh, Look at McElwain...it's been said 100 times here. I don't think I need to keep going.....

not so sure........he is pretty capable by himself.....lol

Quick question. I hear about how recruiting is so much better. Guys want to play for Riley.......

With this in mind, how are these guys any "better" than those who would want to play for Riley in Corvalis. He got "his" kids there also and was a .500 coach...... So why are "better" athletes now flocking to him here.

I really don't see him getting better kids here than at OSU. For the record, from 2010-2014, OSU only had 2% of the kids listed were blue chip meaning 4 or 5*. NU for the same time period had 30% and was 3rd in the B1G..........

If kids really want to play for Riley, wouldn't they have gone to Corvallis?

I guess if you don't see a difference between Nebraska and Oregon State I'm not sure I can explain it to you. For one thing, the facilities here among the best in the country. The support staff is larger. The fans are more engaged. The tradition is better. Etc. Kids know about all that stuff.

If you're shopping for a Lexus you're probably not going to buy a Kia no matter how much you like the salesperson. But you might buy an Infiniti, or an Acura, a BMW.

Having said that, I don't know if Riley will recruit better than what we have. The early recruiting has been better, but it's far from over yet. The operation seems to be better.

What level of "succeed" are you talking about? I was skeptical from the beginning about this hire the minute it was announced. I also bought in giving him the benefit of the doubt due to the new resources he'd have in Lincoln. I'm sorry but the notion that anyone could coach this team to 9 wins has finally been proven to be false because apparently Riley can't.

I still believe there is plenty of talent on this roster and it has FAR FAR more talent than the 2004 squad that Callahan was able to get to 5-7 with. I know its not the same playing field with schedule and all that crap but I mean the fact that we don't have another guaranteed "W" on the schedule makes, IMO, 3-9/4-8 a very fireable circumstance.

I don't care about scheme, and square peg/round holes, GOOD COACHING PRODUCES WINS REGARDLESS OF TALENT.

Look at Harbaugh, Look at McElwain...it's been said 100 times here. I don't think I need to keep going.....

It's also been said here 100 times that yes, look at Harbaugh and McElwain. Both programs where the players knew the coaches were gone and were largely supportive of the replacements. And look at how those coaches left, also supportive of their replacements. And now look at Nebraska and how Pelini tried to set everything on fire on his way out the door.

I agree that it all ultimately falls on coaching. But that doesn't mean that a coach who doesn't immediately get results won't eventually get results.

It's also been said here 100 times that yes, look at Harbaugh and McElwain. Both programs where the players knew the coaches were gone and were largely supportive of the replacements. And look at how those coaches left, also supportive of their replacements. And now look at Nebraska and how Pelini tried to set everything on fire on his way out the door.

I agree that it all ultimately falls on coaching. But that doesn't mean that a coach who doesn't immediately get results won't eventually get results.

First year coaches may not get the wins right away but....you see the process from week to week and growth. We have gotten worse as the season has gone on. In play calling, and in QB play.

Herman got his practice drills from Langsdorf so ya..

LOL. Practice drills are a far cry from play calling philosophy.

Herman has Houston at ......

#9 in rush yards per game (292 yards per game)

#11 in rush attempts per game (354 att)

#4 in completion percentage (70% on 206 att)

#30 in pass yards per game (270 per game)

#4 in Scoring (48 pts a game)

#5 in Yards per game (561)

63% Run, 37% Pass

I don't think he follows Langsdorf's philos.

• Fire 1