Can you fire a coach after 1 year?

...because we all know that the next guy just has to be an improvement, because <insert reason here>

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. So yeah, "Perlman/Eichorst is going to get it right this time if he make another hire at end of this year...because <insert reason supplied above here>."

Just wanting a better coach doesn't guarantee a better coach. Tell us how and show us why the next hire will be any better, or even as good, using the last almost 20 years as the template with the same guy calling the shots.

Also, before you answer "Well, anyone can do better than Riley!", please go back and revisit last year's firing of Pelini and the prevalent notion that "Even a trained monkey can win nine games at Nebraska!"

+1 I could not say this any better. Well done.

For all the years of now discontent, regardless, one coach, one season can't replace the last 14 years of being rather average and non threatening on the national scene. Don't like Riley, and would love to see him go with Eichorst, but I guess other than its fun to discuss, its not realistic.

Only times that we have been national news is when we are firing a coach. That is our relevant card we can play, and I guess maybe we have played it too much, I don't know!!!!

The issue is we can't find that guy because the splash hire won't come here. Its either we realize that this job isn't for splash hires, new hires and flame outs, and its for only those who can truly "know" what its like to coach here, at Nebraska. Its got to be someone who knows that first. It almost has to be someone who is Big Red born and bread. Forget about Herman, and others. Unless your a true Big Redder, this is just a stepping stone for a better world. Face it, TO won games, and won games and won games but almost left and almost was fired several times. Devaney stood by him. Its going to take that committment once again. No Bo wasn't ever going to be that kind of guy. Riley is by no means even close to that. Got to hope to the next one is, and we also have the right AD for the guy to succeed.

Once again, you're ASSUMING that none of them would come here.

Any thoughts as to why Eichorst ended up with Riley and not one of your picks?...because understanding the problem is an almost mandatory step in finding a solution.

Mind you, I'm just spitballin' here, but I think a lot of coaches see the "Frank Solich-Steve Pederson-Tom Osborne-Bill Callahan-Harvey Perlman-Nebraska Fanbase-Bo Pelini-Shawn Eichorst-Secret Taping-Tommie Frazier Rant-Mandatory Nine Wins Guaranteed-Nine Wins Not Good Enough-We used to be somebody" ongoing fifteen year train wreck that and say to themselves, "I don't really need that".

• Fire 2

Any thoughts as to why Eichorst ended up with Riley and not one of your picks?...because understanding the problem is an almost mandatory step in finding a solution.

Mind you, I'm just spitballin' here, but I think a lot of coaches see the "Frank Solich-Steve Pederson-Tom Osborne-Bill Callahan-Harvey Perlman-Nebraska Fanbase-Bo Pelini-Shawn Eichorst-Secret Taping-Tommie Frazier Rant-Mandatory Nine Wins Guaranteed-Nine Wins Not Good Enough-We used to be somebody" ongoing fifteen year train wreck that and say to themselves, "I don't really need that".

A lot of that will go away when Perlman, Eichorst, and Riley get flushed. Perlman is resigning in 6 months. New Chancellor will can Eichorst in November 2016 or 2017, and Riley a month later. An AD with strong Nebraska ties will be found and he will find a solid coach who will make us into Stanford of the plains.

Your comebacks are becoming weaker and more lame with each post. Isn't Paranormal Activity 4 on tonight? Move along.

You want Mark Richt as our coach. Why would I need a comeback, you do a good job insulting yourself.

Tell me another coach with Richt's credentials, including his Nebraska ties. I'll wait.

I have to disagree with you on this GOAT. Richt is 55 years old and will not be leaving Georgia any time soon. He is basically their Bob Stoops, Les Miles, Dabo Sweeney right now. At this point, we'd be hard pressed to get an established head coach to come here unless like you have said, we throw $$$ at them and we're talking big money. FWIW, I really wanted Jim Tressel to come here.

Your comebacks are becoming weaker and more lame with each post. Isn't Paranormal Activity 4 on tonight? Move along.

You want Mark Richt as our coach. Why would I need a comeback, you do a good job insulting yourself.

Tell me another coach with Richt's credentials, including his Nebraska ties. I'll wait.

The fact you think Nebraska ties are a requirement is why I disagree with your reasoning for wanting him.

OK, so tell me another coach with his credentials, NOT including his Nebraska ties (which are an added bonus). I'll wait.

There are a lot of coaches with better credentials than his, most wouldn't want to come here and I'm including him in that list.

Once again, you're ASSUMING that none of them would come here. All I've gotta say in response to that is...

0514572f13380152225d4ef24ce3a9d8665da-wm

If we fire Riley at the end of the year we will be paying TWO fired coaches a buyout, we won't have a heapin' helpin' of money to throw at a top tier coach that is probably already getting a ton of cash. Tressel is the only one out there not currently coaching and he comes with baggage.

That is what BOOSTERS are for. They aid the program financially. Lose them, and an AD is soon to be swimming. This is what happened to Pederson and the reason he was fired, he lost fan support and booster support. If a chancellor or athletic director fails to act, one of them will be shown the door. Could be what happens next for Eichorst since HP will be stepping down but Shawn can still save face and admit that his personal choice for HC is/was a mistake.

For all the years of now discontent, regardless, one coach, one season can't replace the last 14 years of being rather average and non threatening on the national scene. Don't like Riley, and would love to see him go with Eichorst, but I guess other than its fun to discuss, its not realistic.

Only times that we have been national news is when we are firing a coach. That is our relevant card we can play, and I guess maybe we have played it too much, I don't know!!!!

The issue is we can't find that guy because the splash hire won't come here. Its either we realize that this job isn't for splash hires, new hires and flame outs, and its for only those who can truly "know" what its like to coach here, at Nebraska. Its got to be someone who knows that first. It almost has to be someone who is Big Red born and bread. Forget about Herman, and others. Unless your a true Big Redder, this is just a stepping stone for a better world. Face it, TO won games, and won games and won games but almost left and almost was fired several times. Devaney stood by him. Its going to take that committment once again. No Bo wasn't ever going to be that kind of guy. Riley is by no means even close to that. Got to hope to the next one is, and we also have the right AD for the guy to succeed.

Yep, like Michigan got their guy in Harbaugh...We unfortunately do not have anyone even remotely close to the coaching credentials out there that is like Harbaugh is to Michigan.

Too bad some of our studs from back in the day didn't get into coaching and have good success. Frost is about it...

Southern Miss fired Ellis Johnson after one year in 2012. Team was CUSA champions the year before and went 0-12 under his regime.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8682876/ellis-johnson-fired-coach-southern-mississippi-golden-eagles-following-0-12-season

Well you take a 12 win championship team and go ont to lose 12, you deserve to be fired.

Riley is taking a 9-3 team and is on track to finish 4-8. The guy can recruit so he deserves another year. But if 2016 cant net 10 wind, I would be open to another try at getting our guy. Eichorst said we wanted to compete for titles and that 10 wins wasn't enough. Hope he stands by that.

I am not trying to be rude here, but where is the proof of this? Nebraska currently has a 39th? ranked recruiting class, one of the lowest in years...

Also, Oregon State under their brand new head coach just signed two 4 star recruits to Corvallis, the highest rated recruits to go to Oregon State in 2 years.

Well our class is on pace for a really good cycle. If we actually finished at 39th, I would be worried. I think we see a top 25 finish easy.

Why? Because the recruits see promise in the product being put on the field? If I was recruiting a player Nebraska was pursuing I would send the kid film of "Riley's dumbest" coaching decisions. You could make a Benny Hill movie out of this season. I am really worried that we will lose some committed players because of how bad we are.

The fact you think Nebraska ties are a requirement is why I disagree with your reasoning for wanting him.

OK, so tell me another coach with his credentials, NOT including his Nebraska ties (which are an added bonus). I'll wait.

There are a lot of coaches with better credentials than his, most wouldn't want to come here and I'm including him in that list.

Once again, you're ASSUMING that none of them would come here. All I've gotta say in response to that is...

0514572f13380152225d4ef24ce3a9d8665da-wm

If we fire Riley at the end of the year we will be paying TWO fired coaches a buyout, we won't have a heapin' helpin' of money to throw at a top tier coach that is probably already getting a ton of cash. Tressel is the only one out there not currently coaching and he comes with baggage.

This is the major problem that I see. Coaches do want to come to Nebraska. We have great facilities, we sell out every game, and we have money. But how much of the money will be left if we have two coaching staffs getting alimony? MR should have never been hired. I would like to know how this decision was made. Was SE directed to hire MR, did SE make the decision on his own? Did a booster suggest MR? Did MR's mother and grandmother donate millions to the university?

• Fire 1

A lot of that will go away when Perlman, Eichorst, and Riley get flushed. Perlman is resigning in 6 months. New Chancellor will can Eichorst in November 2016 or 2017, and Riley a month later. An AD with strong Nebraska ties will be found and he will find a solid coach who will make us into Stanford of the plains.

When does SE's contract expire?