Can you fire a coach after 1 year?

What about Joe Moglia? You get a very smart guy, with ties to Nebraska, who can manage the program. He may be willing to take a relatively small salary (for a Power 5 HC), leaving enough money to have the highest paid DC and OC in CFB. For the OC and DC, I would like to see the pay in the $2 million range. Lets entice the best to come work for a great manager with freedom to run their side of the ball. Would this approach work? Of curse, we currently have one of the highest paid ST coaches in CFB, and that is not working out too well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Moglia#Head_coaching_record

Your comebacks are becoming weaker and more lame with each post. Isn't Paranormal Activity 4 on tonight? Move along.

You want Mark Richt as our coach. Why would I need a comeback, you do a good job insulting yourself.

Tell me another coach with Richt's credentials, including his Nebraska ties. I'll wait.

I have to disagree with you on this GOAT. Richt is 55 years old and will not be leaving Georgia any time soon. He is basically their Bob Stoops, Les Miles, Dabo Sweeney right now. At this point, we'd be hard pressed to get an established head coach to come here unless like you have said, we throw $$$ at them and we're talking big money. FWIW, I really wanted Jim Tressel to come here.

I disagree with your assessment of Richt. I live in the heart of SEC country, and there are plenty of GA fans who want a change and are ready to show him the door. Just read their message boards; they're filled with FIRE RICHT threads. There is no coach in the country who is more qualified than he is: ties to the Southeast, elite recruiter, multiple conference championships, BCS bowl winner, wins over Saban/Meyer/Miles, high character, Nebraskan by birth and still has family here, understands Nebraska football. Read his comments from interviews prior to their bowl games vs. us and you'll see what I mean. I just don't think we can afford to hire some young up and comer who is unproven as a recruiter. We need a big name who top recruits will be willing to come to Lincoln to play for. Tressel would be another good choice.

Southern Miss fired Ellis Johnson after one year in 2012. Team was CUSA champions the year before and went 0-12 under his regime.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8682876/ellis-johnson-fired-coach-southern-mississippi-golden-eagles-following-0-12-season

Well you take a 12 win championship team and go ont to lose 12, you deserve to be fired.

Riley is taking a 9-3 team and is on track to finish 4-8. The guy can recruit so he deserves another year. But if 2016 cant net 10 wind, I would be open to another try at getting our guy. Eichorst said we wanted to compete for titles and that 10 wins wasn't enough. Hope he stands by that.

I am not trying to be rude here, but where is the proof of this? Nebraska currently has a 39th? ranked recruiting class, one of the lowest in years...

Also, Oregon State under their brand new head coach just signed two 4 star recruits to Corvallis, the highest rated recruits to go to Oregon State in 2 years.

Well our class is on pace for a really good cycle. If we actually finished at 39th, I would be worried. I think we see a top 25 finish easy.

Why? Because the recruits see promise in the product being put on the field? If I was recruiting a player Nebraska was pursuing I would send the kid film of "Riley's dumbest" coaching decisions. You could make a Benny Hill movie out of this season. I am really worried that we will lose some committed players because of how bad we are.

Yakkety Sax for the new Tunnel Walk song?

If you fire him this year you basically force yourself to hire Scott Frost because no one else worth a damn would walk into this mess

That is baloney. You give a guy enough $, and any coach worth a damn and any confidence in his abilities couldn't care less about what the last coach did

Again, throw all the names out there you want. They have been out there thru 2 coaching searches now and they didn't come here.

Understand that coaches have agents, the agents contact the schools hiring firm or contact person when they are interested. I truly believe that all of the names on here had chances to come here, if they wanted this job. If Richt wanted to coach here, he would have made arrangements to at least set up an interview. Same with all of those names. Tressel, this name will never translate with me. He is from Ohio. His recruiting ties would be for Ohio St. Ohio has some of the best recruiting for football in the nation, but thats doesn't mean it translate for Neb.

Texas, USC, Arkansas, South Carolina will be open more than likely this season. Texas has there claws in Tom Herman already. USC might be interesting depending on how Seattle does going forward. Arkansas is a mess about like Nebraska is right now. Could see Pelini going there actually. South Carolina along the same lines, but they are not considered prestigous job, just an SEC job. So Strong, Bieliema, and the staff from USC will be available from those lines, and the usual names............Fuente might be the only great chance among those, but he has Big 12 interest at some point.

Realistic goals need to be established.

That is baloney. You give a guy enough $, and any coach worth a damn and any confidence in his abilities couldn't care less about what the last coach did

Nope.

People who have more money than they already need or can spend are more apt to look at quality of life issues than a bigger paycheck. The quality of life for a Nebraska coach hasn't been too good in the recent past.

Also, coaches aren't bought and sold like tires, where if one goes up a level and spends $500,000 more per year it automatically gets one 20,000 more miles of tread wear and a conference championship. It might work, but probably won't.

Remember way, WAY back when Texas A&M figured they could offer Jackie Sherill a then record contract and started building a case to house their national championship trophies? Sherill went 52-28-1 in a disintegrating Southwest Conference and left in a cloud of scandal. I think they keep mason jars in that trophy case now... :unsure: