Jerry Kill retiring

Red Five

Will be interesting to see who Minnesota targets as their next coach. They got a taste of winning and success. Going to be hard shoes to fill

I would be very surprised if they don't give the job to the DC Clays full time next year. I just can't see the them doing any better than the staff they currently have.

I agree. Especially in light of the fact that they essentially are sans-Athletic Director. Plus committing to the current staff for at least a year would help them hold on to the Top 25 recruiting class they have.

While part of me wants Riley to try and steal a recruit, it just seems extra dirty given the circumstances. Oh well, when in Rome...

• 2 weeks later...

I think they jumped the gun a bit in hiring Claeys. Plus the 3 year contract screams that they don't trust he is a long term solution yet.

They were paying Kill almost $3 million a season. The chances are that USC and South Carolina are going to hire their interim head coaches which means some of the hotter named coaches would have been available to at least interview.

The worst thing for Claeys is that he has already lost to Ohio St and Michigan in back to back weeks and he still has to face Iowa and Wisconsin. It probably won't be a great start to his tenure.

The issue here is that administration is in its own mess. The contract is therefore as much about giving them time to get things in order as it is about Claeys.

In another year they'll get the athletic department settled, and will be able to see how many of the qualities they liked in Kill reside in Claeys and then proceed properly from there.

• 2 years later...