Mike Riley is done.

Heard from someone in the know earlier tonight take it for what its worth, a rumor.

A person speaking on the condition of anonymity explained to me that the board is not angry with SE, they are indifferent and a few have voiced their displeasure directly after the Purdue game and it has been happening all year long and they have grown tired of it. The board knows the fans are hurting right now. A few of these members have privately scolded SE over a bad hire. There are some argumentative debates going on not if Riley should be let go but the timing of it. Boosters are willing to help hit the reset button and give SE a second chance only if SE has candidates lined up first and foremost. The board and SE are looking at what we'll owe Riley and his staff financially down the road. Resources are not a problem with the program and this is why the board is willing to give SE a second chance to find the right HC to turn the football program around.

This person reiterated twice - should Nebraska's football team demonstrate a poor performance versus Michigan State on national television next Saturday, Riley may be asked to resign immediately after the MSU game to allow Eichorst time (3-4 weeks) to help put Nebraska at an advantage in the market. This person stated that the biggest concern is there have been threats from big donors and that donations are being lost by week by week along with potentially losing ticket revenue i.e. the sell out streak. It was never mentioned that Mike would be asked to terminate any assistants or if him and his staff would continue into 2016. This person clearly said multiple times that it is looking more like a clean slate method.

That's all I have heard right now. It could be smoke and mirrors but, FWIW this person knew and heard from someone important before that Bo Pelini would get hired in 2008 2 months prior to Bill Callahan being fired.

A little confusing that they would fire Riley, but keep Eichorst. Considering how Eichorst's search went last time, how can they trust him to make another good decision? I guess we'll see if this rumor has legs next week. Barring a scenario where we enter an alternate universe, a Michigan St. team coming off a bye week with Connor Cook should be able to hang 50 on us easy.

I think if we go 3-9 or get destroyed by MSU it wouldn't surprise me if we pressuredMike Riley to resign by the end of the season. Replacements would be interesting and it would have to be a kyle whittingham, Justin Fuente, Scott Frost, Tom Herman type hire. wouldn't mind any of those guys. Maybe an Nfl guy but Chip Kelly(Pipe dream?) or maybe John Harbaugh would take the job if offered.(John has no college recruiting grounds that I am aware of but would be funny if Harbaugh brothers were both in the same conference- more fit for Maryland if he is fired by Ravens anyway)

I think if we go 3-9 or get destroyed by MSU it wouldn't surprise me if we pressuredMike Riley to resign by the end of the season. Replacements would be interesting and it would have to be a kyle whittingham, Justin Fuente, Scott Frost, Tom Herman type hire. wouldn't mind any of those guys. Maybe an Nfl guy but Chip Kelly(Pipe dream?) or maybe John Harbaugh would take the job if offered.(John has no college recruiting grounds that I am aware of but would be funny if Harbaugh brothers were both in the same conference- more fit for Maryland if he is fired by Ravens anyway)

Chip Kelly is certainly a pipe dream, but that John Harbaugh scenario made me laugh and the thing is I can actually see it happening. Obviously very unlikely, but we would have a better chance at John than Chip. If the 49'ers can get rid of Jim, the Ravens can get rid of John and having the brothers in competing divisions would be great. That would automatically make us nationally relevant.

I have nothing against Riley. I really wanted it to work here, I got sold on his wisdom and experience would help us use what we already have yet we could benefit from some of his ideas, QB position should improve, our schedule was favorable so we should do well, if we have growing pains we still had 7-8 wins easy. I am shocked to see how fast this thing fell apart. Someone said it in another thread that next year is a rebuilding year anyway. Why not do it with a coach and staff that are committed to the NU brand of football starting with power run and stellar defense. The scary thing with Riley is we have to wait to next year to even see if his philosophy can even pay any small dividends. Essentially it would all be on POB being the starter and lighting it up to erase the nightmare of this season and give fans some hope. This is A LOT to ask and expect of a true freshman...and I think the realization is that this is unlikely and we can't put the future in this position. Other threads have said at least Cally had a strong recruiting class to make us be patient and see if his brand could work. We don't have that with Riley...we currently sit at #40 in recruiting...who thinks this is a recipe for success?

Ironically, I now think the timing is right for Scott Frost to enter. Oregon is not playing for the playoff or Pac 12 championship this year. Frost would be available. Expectations cannot be lower for next year so bringing back the hero to take us out of rock bottom would unite fans, I think he'd play the brand of football we long for, and I think he'd be good long term and may surprise in the short term. Yes, there are some other good coaches out there but everything to me points to Frost.

• Fire 3

I have nothing against Riley. I really wanted it to work here, I got sold on his wisdom and experience would help us use what we already have yet we could benefit from some of his ideas, QB position should improve, our schedule was favorable so we should do well, if we have growing pains we still had 7-8 wins easy. I am shocked to see how fast this thing fell apart. Someone said it in another thread that next year is a rebuilding year anyway. Why not do it with a coach and staff that are committed to the NU brand of football starting with power run and stellar defense. The scary thing with Riley is we have to wait to next year to even see if his philosophy can even pay any small dividends. Essentially it would all be on POB being the starter and lighting it up to erase the nightmare of this season and give fans some hope. This is A LOT to ask and expect of a true freshman...and I think the realization is that this is unlikely and we can't put the future in this position. Other threads have said at least Cally had a strong recruiting class to make us be patient and see if his brand could work. We don't have that with Riley...we currently sit at #40 in recruiting...who thinks this is a recipe for success?

Ironically, I now think the timing is right for Scott Frost to enter. Oregon is not playing for the playoff or Pac 12 championship this year. Frost would be available. Expectations cannot be lower for next year so bringing back the hero to take us out of rock bottom would unite fans, I think he'd play the brand of football we long for, and I think he'd be good long term and may surprise in the short term. Yes, there are some other good coaches out there but everything to me points to Frost.

The scarier thing is, the Riley defenders have pointed out that we all just need to wait for POB to get on campus.....well recent news suggest that Michigan has offered and O'Brien is interested

The scarier thing is, the Riley defenders have pointed out that we all just need to wait for POB to get on campus.....well recent news suggest that Michigan has offered and O'Brien is interested

Scary indeed and why it may no longer be crazy to think Riley could be done. We are not talking about a great recruiting class where we can lose a guy and still be fine. If we lose POB then we are set back further under Riley. I think Tommy would be just fine in Frost's offense.