Mike Riley is done.

Personally, I like when new posters start threads and stick their necks out with bold rumors. I like the title, "Mike Riley is Done" ... like it's a fact ... then the rumor is stated with a "solid" reference to a prior situation.

I'm not bashing the post ... trust me ... but it will give me a chance to see if FTW is legit.

I'll be watching with interest for sure FTW. Thanks for the post.

That would be why he posted it in RUMORVILLE, and he is professing it to be nothing more than that, a rumor.

It's clear you're not bashing the post, you're employing a 'worthiness/belonging clause' (basically a form of 'poisoning the well' ad hominem) to bash the poster, as you have done in nearly every post you have made on this board in the past couple of weeks, trying to somehow trumpet your apparent worthiness or belonging to some Huskerboard social stratosphere via your post count, and how this makes you some authority figure on a message board, while demeaning/writing off those with less.

There are obviously posters who make great contributions to this board who have a high post count, and they usually are the ones most likely to make the most meaningful contributions to this board.

However, there are also posters with high post counts who do little to make meaningful contributions to this board and offer next to nothing in quality thoughts and discussion, just as there are posters who do not have many posts who offer very quality thoughts and discussion, and meaningful contributions, while less numerous.

Those of us that have been around for two firings and three hirings have seen our fair share of threads like these. It remains to be seen if the person will be a good poster in the future, but previous experience doesn't bode well.

I understand that, but I also see that this is posted in Rumorville with the caveat "take it for what its worth, a rumor."[/size]

Beyond that, some may disagree, but I think FTW has made some good contributions in his/her posts thus far.[/size]

That doesn't mean I believe this rumor, but I'm not placing a lot of stock in it or the poster for this being posted in Rumorville one way or the other, either.[/size]

Mark is a good poster.

Personally, I like when new posters start threads and stick their necks out with bold rumors. I like the title, "Mike Riley is Done" ... like it's a fact ... then the rumor is stated with a "solid" reference to a prior situation.

I'm not bashing the post ... trust me ... but it will give me a chance to see if FTW is legit.

That would be why he posted it in RUMORVILLE, and he is professing it to be nothing more than that, a rumor.

It's clear you're not bashing the post, you're employing a 'worthiness/belonging clause' (basically a form of 'poisoning the well' ad hominem) to bash the poster, as you have done in nearly every post you have made on this board in the past couple of weeks, trying to somehow trumpet your apparent worthiness or belonging to some Huskerboard social stratosphere via your post count, and how this makes you some authority figure on a message board, while demeaning/writing off those with less.

There are obviously posters who make great contributions to this board who have a high post count, and they usually are the ones most likely to make the most meaningful contributions to this board.

However, there are also posters with high post counts who do little to make meaningful contributions to this board and offer next to nothing in quality thoughts and discussion, just as there are posters who do not have many posts who offer very quality thoughts and discussion, and meaningful contributions, while less numerous.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around what you just said and how it is relevant to anything Baker just said.

"Personally, I like when new posters start threads and stick their necks out with bold rumors. I like the title, "Mike Riley is Done" ... like it's a fact ... then the rumor is stated with a "solid" reference to a prior situation."

Ya I know what he said. I'm just not sure why you are so mad about it. I'm not seeing anything in there that warrants such an emotional response that you gave...

:dunno

I'm not mad about anything, actually.

There was nothing emotional at all about the response I typed. You're welcome to disagree with the conclusion I reached, but I called it quite as I saw it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have nothing against Riley. I really wanted it to work here, I got sold on his wisdom and experience would help us use what we already have yet we could benefit from some of his ideas, QB position should improve, our schedule was favorable so we should do well, if we have growing pains we still had 7-8 wins easy. I am shocked to see how fast this thing fell apart. Someone said it in another thread that next year is a rebuilding year anyway. Why not do it with a coach and staff that are committed to the NU brand of football starting with power run and stellar defense. The scary thing with Riley is we have to wait to next year to even see if his philosophy can even pay any small dividends. Essentially it would all be on POB being the starter and lighting it up to erase the nightmare of this season and give fans some hope. This is A LOT to ask and expect of a true freshman...and I think the realization is that this is unlikely and we can't put the future in this position. Other threads have said at least Cally had a strong recruiting class to make us be patient and see if his brand could work. We don't have that with Riley...we currently sit at #40 in recruiting...who thinks this is a recipe for success?

Ironically, I now think the timing is right for Scott Frost to enter. Oregon is not playing for the playoff or Pac 12 championship this year. Frost would be available. Expectations cannot be lower for next year so bringing back the hero to take us out of rock bottom would unite fans, I think he'd play the brand of football we long for, and I think he'd be good long term and may surprise in the short term. Yes, there are some other good coaches out there but everything to me points to Frost.

I find it hilarious that people bitch about how much we don't run the ball, then they want to hire an inexperienced ex QB that is the Co-OC of a spread offense to run the program. That makes perfect sense.

And their offense has been top 10 in rushing every year since 2008 or 2009.

So you, sir, are not up on your info. He's not a Co OC either. He is the OC

Do you honestly think that Chip Kelly and the new HC allow him to make the calls? He is being mentored by those guys, I believe that he has input, but isn't making the calls as both HC's are Offensive minds.

Whats the obsession with richt? Hes never won anything and hes got all the talent in the world down there. I dont get it.

He's a multi-time conference champion, and has won BCS bowls. He hold victories over Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, and Les Miles, among others. Yet he's "never won anything"????

Not to mention he was born and raised in Nebraska, has family in Nebraska, knows what Nebraska football is all about. He's also an excellent recruiter with ties to the southeast. Seriously, what more do you people want? You throw out these young guys' names, but can they recruit to Lincoln? Nobody knows. Richt is a proven commodity at least.

He is 2-1 in BCS bowls, not bad. His best season was in 2002 when they went 13-1 with a SEC Title win and a Sugar Bowl win.

His last conference title was 2005, his last BCS bowl was 2007. Last division title was 3 years ago and in that time the East has been really really weak.

I get why you want him. The resume is fairly impressive. What you continually ignore is that you are one of very few Husker fans that want him AND many Georgia fans want him fired.

So forget the resume, would he be a good fit for Nebraska now? Again, I don't see anything from him now that would indicate a better record at Nebraska than Bo Pelini.

What sucks about this mess and the absolute blunder of hiring Riley is we may be forced or be under pressure to go with a safer hire next round. For example maybe we would wind up with Richt, a solid coach but perhaps one with limited upside, rather than the hot up-and-comer like Fuente or Herman.

It's the gift that keeps on giving!

I'm trying to wrap my mind around what you just said and how it is relevant to anything Baker just said.

"Personally, I like when new posters start threads and stick their necks out with bold rumors. I like the title, "Mike Riley is Done" ... like it's a fact ... then the rumor is stated with a "solid" reference to a prior situation."

Ya I know what he said. I'm just not sure why you are so mad about it. I'm not seeing anything in there that warrants such an emotional response that you gave...

:dunno

Edit: I guess I haven't really paid attn. to what he's been saying in previous posts the last couple weeks that you must have paid attn. to.

In any case, in what I've noticed with post count is that generally if someone has been around here for a while and have a high post count they are generally pretty level headed unless you say something to piss them off or intentionally call them out.

To me 1800 posts isn't all that much considering he joined in 2005. Hell. I don't consider myself to have a high post count at 3200 since 08.

My point is, again in what I've noticed, is that if you are around a ton, your voice seems to get a little bit more attention...not clout, just attention. Everyone knows the tones of True, Zoogs, Saunders, Knapp, LOMS, etc....

Not everyone is accustomed to Blackshirt_Revival yet (Not that it matters in the first place)....maybe I'm off base but that's just an observation I have made the last couple years.

I agree with this. In the same breath, being an active poster on a message board will never be as profound a part of the lives of many (or most) people as it is to some of the most prolific and solid contributors on this site.

I understand this frequency is also part of what contributes to credibility (ie, rep point), and how this may cause some to exercise caution and pause with information or opinions expressed by those who do not contribute as much, but obviously there have been quality contributions made on this site from those with fewer post counts, just as I understand there has been plenty of garbage contributed by those with fewer post counts.

I guess my point is, post count alone should not be and is not the sole determiner of the quality of post or poster or the ability to formulate a solid opinion, insight, or to share information. It is not reason enough alone to dismiss someone or what they might share. I think we can also all agree there is also plenty of nonsense posted on here daily from more frequent posters who are upping their post counts by contributing posts of little substance, as well.

A little confusing that they would fire Riley, but keep Eichorst. Considering how Eichorst's search went last time, how can they trust him to make another good decision? I guess we'll see if this rumor has legs next week. Barring a scenario where we enter an alternate universe, a Michigan St. team coming off a bye week with Connor Cook should be able to hang 50 on us easy.

Yeah and its even more confusing on why they would fire him midseason when Eichorst refuses to fire anyone midseason. I'm thinking we got a troll.

Agree. Scott Frost may someday be a great head coach (or not) but we surely don't want to gamble again on this. I don't see a need to overreact and knee jerk fire this staff. The pain is going to endured no matter what. The program has had deep problems for 15 years now. Tom Osborne was AD for a good part of the time and things were not fixed. I don't see why anyone realistically things another HC without any experience and therefore absolutely no track record can fix what men with many, many years have not done. Patience people! Patience. Panic attacks don't help anything.

Arguments like this drive me crazy. When people say we can't hire Scott Frost or another coordinator to be our head coach because we don't want them to learn on the job or we surely don't want to gamble, I have two things to say to this nonsense:

1. Tom Osborne was a coordinator who became head coach...who learned on the job...I think that hire turned out ok?
  2. MOST IMPORTANTLY---Every hire is a gamble!
  • Nick Saban was a "gamble" when he was hired for the Miami Dolphins job. It didn't work out in Miami, but the "gamble" sure paid off for Alabama.
  • Chip Kelly was a "gamble" when he moved from being an Oregon offensive coordinator to Head Coach. Turned out pretty good for Oregon. He was a "gamble" for the Philadelphia Eagles too...now how is that looking?

My point is again: EVERY HIRE IS A GAMBLE!

Scott Frost could very well turn out to be the exact coach we need at Nebraska at the right time. He also might not be able to turn it around. But we'll never know unless we take that "gamble."

...nothing in life is a sure thing.

• Fire 9

I have nothing against Riley. I really wanted it to work here, I got sold on his wisdom and experience would help us use what we already have yet we could benefit from some of his ideas, QB position should improve, our schedule was favorable so we should do well, if we have growing pains we still had 7-8 wins easy. I am shocked to see how fast this thing fell apart. Someone said it in another thread that next year is a rebuilding year anyway. Why not do it with a coach and staff that are committed to the NU brand of football starting with power run and stellar defense. The scary thing with Riley is we have to wait to next year to even see if his philosophy can even pay any small dividends. Essentially it would all be on POB being the starter and lighting it up to erase the nightmare of this season and give fans some hope. This is A LOT to ask and expect of a true freshman...and I think the realization is that this is unlikely and we can't put the future in this position. Other threads have said at least Cally had a strong recruiting class to make us be patient and see if his brand could work. We don't have that with Riley...we currently sit at #40 in recruiting...who thinks this is a recipe for success?

Ironically, I now think the timing is right for Scott Frost to enter. Oregon is not playing for the playoff or Pac 12 championship this year. Frost would be available. Expectations cannot be lower for next year so bringing back the hero to take us out of rock bottom would unite fans, I think he'd play the brand of football we long for, and I think he'd be good long term and may surprise in the short term. Yes, there are some other good coaches out there but everything to me points to Frost.

I find it hilarious that people bitch about how much we don't run the ball, then they want to hire an inexperienced ex QB that is the Co-OC of a spread offense to run the program. That makes perfect sense.

And their offense has been top 10 in rushing every year since 2008 or 2009.

So you, sir, are not up on your info. He's not a Co OC either. He is the OC

Do you honestly think that Chip Kelly and the new HC allow him to make the calls? He is being mentored by those guys, I believe that he has input, but isn't making the calls as both HC's are Offensive minds.

Well Frost wasn't OC until Helfrich took over, so I don't know why you threw Chip's name in there.

Secondly, yes, Frost is making calls. He was being helped in 2013 by Helf, but now, he does it by himself.

Are you seriously throwing around an opinion as fact? Just because you think or believe something is going on doesn't mean it is. Helf and Frost game plan together and HC has final say in what is ran in certain situations but for the most part Frost is making every call.

Problem with Frost is that absolutely no one outside of Nebraska is talking about him for a head coaching vacancy... and the only reason Nebraska is, is because he played for the Huskers. That's a poor reason to hire someone.

I mean if everyone above Frost says no, then go after him with your gamble... But there are so many more choices that are more experienced and are a great fit for Nebraska. Tom Herman is the absolute perfect fit for the Huskers, and honestly he should have been hired last year.

• Fire 4

Problem with Frost is that absolutely no one outside of Nebraska is talking about him for a head coaching vacancy... and the only reason Nebraska is, is because he played for the Huskers. That's a poor reason to hire someone.

I mean if everyone above Frost says no, then go after him with your gamble... But there are so many more choices that are more experienced and are a great fit for Nebraska. Tom Herman is the absolute perfect fit for the Huskers, and honestly he should have been hired last year.

Completely incorrect. In the first article you've even got Kirk Herbstreit saying that Frost is ready. Frost is a hot coaching name right now, and his offense is still a beast in Oregon without Mariota.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/12/scott_frost_to_leave_oregon_it.html

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terrapins-football/2015/11/1/9650368/Scott-frost-maryland-coaching-search-candidates

http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2015/08/scott-frost-the-man-for-champaign/

Completely incorrect. In the first article you've even got Kirk Herbstreit saying that Frost is ready. Frost is a hot coaching name right now, and his offense is still a beast in Oregon without Mariota.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/12/scott_frost_to_leave_oregon_it.html

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terrapins-football/2015/11/1/9650368/Scott-frost-maryland-coaching-search-candidates

http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2015/08/scott-frost-the-man-for-champaign/

With the way the media raved about the Mike Riley hire, I would take any opinion from them with a boulder of salt. There is no way he's going to either Illinois or Maryland.

That said... Oregon's offense has struggled this year against teams that matter. See Utah. Full judgement will be held out until they play Stanford though.

With the way the media raved about the Mike Riley hire, I would take any opinion from them with a boulder of salt. There is no way he's going to either Illinois or Maryland.

That said... Oregon's offense has struggled this year against teams that matter. See Utah. Full judgement will be held out until they play Stanford though.

They rotated their 2nd and 3rd team QB's that game. Still didn't have their AA talent receiver in Carrington. Defense sucks regardless. Also, there has been speculation from Oregon that they though that Utah was stealing signals....

Which is also why Oregon used those big white sheets on the sideline Thursday vs ASU.

They are definitely not the same offense without Mariota but the struggles they endured offensively was when VA was out, or when VA had his broken index finger on his throwing hand.

Agree. Scott Frost may someday be a great head coach (or not) but we surely don't want to gamble again on this. I don't see a need to overreact and knee jerk fire this staff. The pain is going to endured no matter what. The program has had deep problems for 15 years now. Tom Osborne was AD for a good part of the time and things were not fixed. I don't see why anyone realistically things another HC without any experience and therefore absolutely no track record can fix what men with many, many years have not done. Patience people! Patience. Panic attacks don't help anything.

Arguments like this drive me crazy. When people say we can't hire Scott Frost or another coordinator to be our head coach because we don't want them to learn on the job or we surely don't want to gamble, I have two things to say to this nonsense:

1. Tom Osborne was a coordinator who became head coach...who learned on the job...I think that hire turned out ok?
  2. MOST IMPORTANTLY---Every hire is a gamble!
  • Nick Saban was a "gamble" when he was hired for the Miami Dolphins job. It didn't work out in Miami, but the "gamble" sure paid off for Alabama.
  • Chip Kelly was a "gamble" when he moved from being an Oregon offensive coordinator to Head Coach. Turned out pretty good for Oregon. He was a "gamble" for the Philadelphia Eagles too...now how is that looking?

My point is again: EVERY HIRE IS A GAMBLE!

Scott Frost could very well turn out to be the exact coach we need at Nebraska at the right time. He also might not be able to turn it around. But we'll never know unless we take that "gamble."

...nothing in life is a sure thing.

Still, I'd rather gamble on someone who is a proven commodity as opposed to someone wgo's never done anything of merit as a HC.