For those pushing Mark Richt, I did a little research on him this afternoon. I thought he would have been a good hire when we got rid of Frank, Cally, or Bo. (I never thought we could have got him, but that's a different discussion.) But looking a little deeper he may have some flaws.

Richt's 2nd half of his tenure at UGA kinda mirrors the 2nd half of Riley's tenure at OSU. Sure he wins more than Riley, but there is a clear drop in performance when comparing to his first handful of years. And the SEC East has been a pretty down the last couple years (see Mizzou winning the East in 13 and 14).

Mark Richt 1st 8 years at UGA (2001-2008)

82-22 (.788) overall record

46-18 (.719) conference record

finished in the top 23 every year

2 conference championships

Mark Richt Last 7 years at UGA (2009-2015)

59-29 (.670) overall record

35-19 (.648) SEC record

finished in the top 25 3 out of 6 years (and unranked as of right now)

0 conference championships

Mike Riley 1st 7 years of 2nd stint and OSU (2003-2009)

56-33 (.629) overall record

37-23 (.612) conference record

finished in the top 25 3 of 7 years

Mike Riley last 5 years of 2nd stint at OSU (2010-2014)

29-33 (.468) overall record

19-26 (.422) conference record

finished in the top 25 1 of 5 years

• Fire 1

Mark Richt is currently no better than a Bo Pelini with shinier toys and recruits. Hasn't won any kind of championship in ages, and can barely make the SEC championship game with a gift-wrapped East division, all while being in some of the most fertile recruiting ground in the country.

I like him, but he would hardly be the slam dunk that people think. Plus, doubt he wants to come coach here.

• Fire 1

Whats the obsession with richt? Hes never won anything and hes got all the talent in the world down there. I dont get it.

He's a multi-time conference champion, and has won BCS bowls. He hold victories over Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, and Les Miles, among others. Yet he's "never won anything"????

Not to mention he was born and raised in Nebraska, has family in Nebraska, knows what Nebraska football is all about. He's also an excellent recruiter with ties to the southeast. Seriously, what more do you people want? You throw out these young guys' names, but can they recruit to Lincoln? Nobody knows. Richt is a proven commodity at least.

He is 2-1 in BCS bowls, not bad. His best season was in 2002 when they went 13-1 with a SEC Title win and a Sugar Bowl win.

His last conference title was 2005, his last BCS bowl was 2007. Last division title was 3 years ago and in that time the East has been really really weak.

I get why you want him. The resume is fairly impressive. What you continually ignore is that you are one of very few Husker fans that want him AND many Georgia fans want him fired.

So forget the resume, would he be a good fit for Nebraska now? Again, I don't see anything from him now that would indicate a better record at Nebraska than Bo Pelini.

Posted this in other thread.

Yeah I know GOAT is all in on a Richt hire. His reasoning is that Georgia wants to get rid of him for underachieving in a weak SEC East. Still don't know why that would translate to him doing anything more than being average in a weak Big Ten West.

• Fire 1

I'm not going to get in this argument again. I've already stayed his numerous qualifications repeatedly. #5 on the list of active coaches in wins vs. Top 25 opponents, and holds multiple wins over 3 of the other coaches in the Top 5 (Saban, Meyer, Miles). Nebraska ties, multiple BCS bowl wins, great recruiter. If you don't think the SEC is an overall stronger conference than the B1G, I don't know what to tell you. From top to bottom, it's not even close. Has his stay at Georgia gotten stagnant? Yes, which is exactly why he needs a change in scenery. Bring him home, let him assemble a top-notch staff. Don't get me wrong, I like Tom Herman as well, but Richt is more of a proven commodity from my perspective. Not to mention Tom Herman is the hot name right now, so most likely someone else is going to snatch him up while we're putzing around with Riley.

You're also failing to mention the fact that Georgia's offense took a big hit with the loss of their Heisman candidate RB, Nick Chubb. That's the equivalent of LSU losing Leonard Fournette.

All that being said, I still predict Georgia to finish the season with 9 wins.

Mark Richt is currently no better than a Bo Pelini with shinier toys and recruits. Hasn't won any kind of championship in ages, and can barely make the SEC championship game with a gift-wrapped East division, all while being in some of the most fertile recruiting ground in the country.

I like him, but he would hardly be the slam dunk that people think. Plus, doubt he wants to come coach here.

He's from here, has family here, was a Nebraska fan as a kid... why do you doubt he'd want to coach here?

Maybe coming to Lincoln would jump start his give a damn. Or maybe he would do the same here. Honestly right now I would take him over Riley. But I'm looking fot the guy who is going to bring us back to national prominence. It wasn't Bo and so far I'm not seeing that with Riley. Could it be Richt? Surr, but it also likely might not be.

The guy has been on thr hot sear for like 5 years but has done enough to be retained. Reminds me of someone...

I'm not going to get in this argument again. I've already stayed his numerous qualifications repeatedly. #5 on the list of active coaches in wins vs. Top 25 opponents, and holds multiple wins over 3 of the other coaches in the Top 5 (Saban, Meyer, Miles). Nebraska ties, multiple BCS bowl wins, great recruiter. If you don't think the SEC is an overall stronger conference than the B1G, I don't know what to tell you. From top to bottom, it's not even close. Has his stay at Georgia gotten stagnant? Yes, which is exactly why he needs a change in scenery. Bring him home, let him assemble a top-notch staff. Don't get me wrong, I like Tom Herman as well, but Richt is more of a proven commodity from my perspective. Not to mention Tom Herman is the hot name right now, so most likely someone else is going to snatch him up while we're putzing around with Riley.

You're also failing to mention the fact that Georgia's offense took a big hit with the loss of their Heisman candidate RB, Nick Chubb. That's the equivalent of LSU losing Leonard Fournette.

Richt vs Meyer

1-5

average score of 32-21

Richt vs Miles

3-2

average score of 31-31

Richt vs Saban

2-5 (1-2 vs LSU, 1-3 vs Alabama)

average score of 29-23

*hasn't beat Saban since his 1st year at Alabama in 2007 when Alabama went 7-6. Has lost the last 3 by an average of 37-23

• Fire 1

As long as Richt was willing to nab the best coordinators out there and not make buddy hires, I'd be down with him setting up shop at Memorial Stadium.

And frankly, even though he's not done well against the named competition in the SEC...he's got a better resume than Callahan, Riley, or Bo did coming into this gig.

Not saying Richt is the best choice--but he's not a bad choice, by far, and depending on how far we want to loosen the purse strings at the admin level...the most realistic one (should he be on the table).

Richt vs Meyer

1-5

average score of 32-21

Richt vs Miles

3-2

average score of 31-31

Richt vs Saban

2-5 (1-2 vs LSU, 1-3 vs Alabama)

average score of 29-23

*hasn't beat Saban since his 1st year at Alabama in 2007 when Alabama went 7-6. Has lost the last 3 by an average of 37-23

And yet those records are still better than any other coach in the country.... the only other coach with a winning record vs. Miles (with 5 or more games against) is Saban. Find me another coach who has a winning record vs. Saban or Meyer in 5+ meetings. You guys act as though that's something to frown at. I look at the fact that he's beaten them all multiple times as an accomplishment.

He's from here, has family here, was a Nebraska fan as a kid... why do you doubt he'd want to coach here?

He was born here, and lived here for a very short little while. He would only want to come here if he got fired from Georgia. He loves Georgia, he's content at Georgia, and personally, I don't want a coach who would only pick us as his number one option due to termination.

He was born here, and lived here for a very short little while. He would only want to come here if he got fired from Georgia. He loves Georgia, he's content at Georgia, and personally, I don't want a coach who would only pick us as his number one option due to termination.

Exactly. But sometimes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. You asked what he's done over the past decade. Well, how about three division titles, six bowl victories (including a BCS bowl), four top ten finishes, two top five finishes, five double-digit win seasons..... you want me to continue?