Nate Gerry

How is saying a player isnt NFL material dragging them through the mud?

What is being put on tape for these players that wish to continue on to the next level is their resumes. If NFL teams see a safety that is a liability in man to man coverage and takes bad angles on the ball carrier or that is unwilling or unable to adapt to different schemes they are going to pass on that guy.

Gerry is one of my favorite players so to watch what he is doing on the field this year is unsettling. It isnt all coaching either. Sooner or later the players have to be held accountable for their actions.

Guys like Gerry and Collins will get a chance to play on Sundays just on measurable alone, even if their college careers were disappointing.

Didn't Banker say he was, and loosely quoting " turn him into a first round pick once I fix his hips" this staff is all talk

That was the strength coach Phillip that said that

But he hadn't worked with Banker yet when he said that. It's understandable that he would have no idea of the damage Banker could do.
Do you know if there is a way I can use the ignore function on the mobile site? I'm seriously tired of your babbling nonsense.
  • Fire 2

Didn't Banker say he was, and loosely quoting " turn him into a first round pick once I fix his hips" this staff is all talk

From Huskerboard after Phillips announced:

I know one of Mark's ex coworkers out at USC. His name is Kurtis Shultz and is the strength coach for USC's basketball team. He said Nebraska is getting the next big name SC coach and the players are going to love him. Shultz said that he and Mark were viewing tape of our players during bowl preparation and are impressed by the athletes. He said Mark will get them "ripped up" and in game shape but he told Shultz that he wanted to fix our player's hips. That was the first thing he noticed when he watched the tape. Mark said Nebraska's talent would show more if some of our players didn't waste so much movement trying to get upfield. Apparently Mark told Shultz, " The white boy safety is going to go first round once I fix his hips." Last thing I'll say is that Mark is a cool guy and that he loves beer.

• Fire 1

Nate Gerry Bio: Huskers.com

Honors & Awards

» Team Captain (2015)

» 2015 Lott Trophy Watch List

» 2015 Preseason First-Team All-Big Ten (Lindy's)

» Second-Team All-Big Ten (Media, 2014)

» Honorable-Mention All-Big Ten (Coaches, 2014)

» Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week (Iowa, 2014)

» Nebraska Defensive co-MVP (2014)

» Honorable-Mention Big Ten All-Freshman Team (BTN, 2013)

Exhibit A on talent wasted by incompetent coaching.

2014 Nate Gerry through 9 games:
interceptions: 4
tackles: 50
2015 Nate Gerry through 9 games:
interceptions: 3
Why did you start this thread to bag on Nate Gerry? Isn't he playing at almost exactly the same level as last year?
  • Fire 4

How is saying a player isnt NFL material dragging them through the mud?

What is being put on tape for these players that wish to continue on to the next level is their resumes. If NFL teams see a safety that is a liability in man to man coverage and takes bad angles on the ball carrier or that is unwilling or unable to adapt to different schemes they are going to pass on that guy.

Gerry is one of my favorite players so to watch what he is doing on the field this year is unsettling. It isnt all coaching either. Sooner or later the players have to be held accountable for their actions.

Guys like Gerry and Collins will get a chance to play on Sundays just on measurable alone, even if their college careers were disappointing.

Agreed. The scouts know what to "look for". His "performance" looks worse, but stats are roughly the same. Now 2014 was 13 games and he is now roughly 30 tackles off that season. 10 more/game and he is almost where he was last year.

Honors & Awards

» Team Captain (2015)

Why did you start this thread to bag on Nate Gerry? Isn't he playing at almost exactly the same level as last year?

Thanks for the break down. I was comparing 2014-2015. "Looks" worse, but stats are the same....On pace to meet last season if he gets 10 tackles/game.

Honors & Awards

» Team Captain (2015)

Thanks for the break down. I was comparing 2014-2015. "Looks" worse, but stats are the same....On pace to meet last season if he gets 10 tackles/game.

But his stats won't matter when it comes to awards. Our D is so crappy we won't be pulling in much hardware this year. :hmmph

Honors & Awards

» Team Captain (2015)

Can you post the number of pass attempts against the Huskers thru 9 games in '14 and '15, and also the total number of plays run against the Huskers thru 9 games each season. TIA

Honors & Awards

» Team Captain (2015)

Can you post the number of pass attempts against the Huskers thru 9 games in '14 and '15, and also the total number of plays run against the Huskers thru 9 games each season. TIA

I don't know where to get that stat. But I'd guess passing against us is higher this year than last, and running probly a bit lower. I think Gerry would actually have more picks this year, but he's dropped a couple or three that he should have snagged.

• Fire 1

Wasn't there a rumor last year that our LB's were being taught two different techniques by different coaches and that led to a lot of their issues? Maybe that's what is going on with Banker and Stewart? And both have too big of an ego to give in? Then both should go.

that might make sense when you consider that of the full time coaches on the defensive side only bray and banker are the two i have seen that have worked together in the past.

Weren't all 3 also DC's......

No way Gerry goes form last season accolades to this season dumpster fire because of his athletic ability. That would mean that every talking head, coaches form previous staff and conference etc were wrong on Gerry. The only thing that has changed is the scheme.

But in looking at Huskers in the NFL, we have 7 DB's from BO's tenure. 3 from the BigXII days and 4 from the B1G days. Of the 4, 1 on PS and 1 on IR. I would have thought that as good as Bo's pass D have been we would have more DB's in the league. Perhaps Bo's scheme hid deficiencies that Bankers scheme exposes. If this is the case, the scheme is at fault. Gerry did well in one and not so well in another. Although he is 2nd on team with tackles (50)(2nd with solo tackles) and 1st with INT's (3). So statistically, unsure that he is playing "worse". Seems to be playing above the level of the rest of the team.

Last year he was 2nd on the team in total tackles, 1st in INT's and 1st in solo tackles..... He is a product of scheme. Stats are the same. D scheme just sucks.

Don't you know? Gerry did it on purpose. He sabotaged his own teammates last week against Purdue. Just ask Stumpy. http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77216-aaron-williams/ smh

Yes he did.

Honors & Awards

» Team Captain (2015)

I have been disappointed in Gerry this season too, both his performance individually and as the leader of the defense. I don't feel he's stepping up to lead his unit. Also, regarding these stats, NU needs playmakers, and I have seen Gerry drop way more INT opportunities this year than last year.

Also, how many big pass plays has Gerry allowed to happen in a situation where he was covering. Outside of Davie and Kalu, Gerry seems to be an easy target for opposing QBs.

I have been disappointed in Gerry this season too, both his performance individually and as the leader of the defense. I don't feel he's stepping up to lead his unit. Also, regarding these stats, NU needs playmakers, and I have seen Gerry drop way more INT opportunities this year than last year.

Also, how many big pass plays has Gerry allowed to happen in a situation where he was covering. Outside of Davie and Kalu, Gerry seems to be an easy target for opposing QBs.

That's because, according to some on this board, he apparently is dropping them on purpose this year in an attempt to sabotage the team.

My wild, unsubstantiated guess is that film clip of Gerry shows me a guy who is still snakebit from the BYU Hail Mary and sees that same recurring nightmare happening again and again. So he sees a guy about to get beat and tries to take over...although I think the other guy seemed to have been the faster of the two chasing the receiver, so maybe not the best move.

I won't defend this piece of conjecture, since I have absolutely nothing to go on except putting myself in Gerry's shoes. I've been known to screw up while thinking I am the only one who isn't a screw up and trying to take the bull by the horns, only to find out I really had the mule by the tail...and then got the kick.

• Fire 1

Nate Gerry is just one of several Huskers that likely would have emerged as superstars this year with decent coaching. He was on an upward trajectory. The fact they are going backwards is directly due to the total lack of anything resembling good coaching.

Yep. With Phillips comments about "fixing his hips" to be a first round pick says a lot. Strength coach watches film and see a lot. Figure Phillips has seen some pretty good talent at USC........

I'm sure Mark is doing a fine job, but wasn't he really a beaver most of his career. And with USC during their most down years?